• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Does The Crunchyroll Original Series EX-ARM Look So Awful?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I’ll be honest the key art doesn’t look too much better either.

I’m also curious why this got an article this is something that feels like it would have been inTWIA or a review elsewhere on the site.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
A review talks about the show itself. However, this talks about the production of a trainwreck of a show like this.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing that EX-ARM still looks so terrible after yet another 3-month delay. Had it premiered this year as originally planned, it would have easily unseated Gibiate as worst show of 2020. In fact, I'm not entirely sure this show isn't part of a plot by Studio KAI to make Cagaster look good.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
People complain about Netflix Originals anime but they have a much better track record than Crunchyroll Originals thus far.
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
People complain about Netflix Originals anime but they have a much better track record than Crunchyroll Originals thus far.

I was about to say how God of Highschool is the only Crunchyroll anime that was at least decent until I remembered Crunchyroll didn't really play that big of a role in its production.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I'm more interested on why on one at ANN did a feature article talking about what happened to Gibiate's production. (They talked about Gibiate in TWIA, but I'm more interested on the show's production instead of the show itself)
OtherSideofSky

Quote:
and it had some cool looking key visuals.

I refuse to believe that anyone thinks that image on the left looks cool, even ironically. The girl is so stiffly posed and oddly proportioned, and the guy with the weird hand thing isn't exactly what I'd call dynamic either.
overlordrae

Feels like they would have benefited by reading well...any basic animation book(such as the Animator's Survival Kit). Animation captures the illusion of movement through exaggeration, it's why even rotoscoped animation can look odd when done by someone without knowledge of basics.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
BBally wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I was about to say how God of Highschool is the only Crunchyroll anime that was at least decent until I remembered Crunchyroll didn't really play that big of a role in its production.

In/Spectre? Tonikawa?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
BBally wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

In/Spectre? Tonikawa?

In/spectre had various issues, even some in animation but its animation was never anythin special to begin with. Even God of Highschool had outright bad animation when you ignore all the big fights. They didn't BALANCE the budget well in GoH but those big moments were all people seemed to pay attention to (and the trash story lol).

Tonikaku Kawaii again is something that works with average animation. Probably their best work overall so far, but I'm curious how much influence they even had. So far CR Originals have been among the worst of their respective season (except Tonikaku Kawaii). Not surprised to see how bad this upcoming show is gonna be
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was going to be a clickbait article and/or one being overly-nitpicky for its own sake, but…that was literally jaw-droppingly awful. If it were just test footage, I might still be mildly concerned, but who thought (outside of perhaps contractional obligations) that this was fit to see the light of day?

Seriously: Is this the final product? Are they really thinking about showing this work to everyone in two months' time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that at this point there's so many anime being made, with netflix coming in the fray, that crunchyroll couldn't find any people with experience in anime to make the show (at least at their budget), so instead they had to be "creative" in their hiring decisions.

But only crap, that trailer is embarrassing, how did no one pull this? Maybe they saw that Kemono friend got a bit of a cult following and though it was because there's a big audience for crappy CG visual?
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Had it premiered this year as originally planned, it would have easily unseated Gibiate as worst show of 2020.

Oh, I don't know. As horrible as this looks and sounds, I have trouble believing its story will reach Gibiate levels of badness too.

Kougeru wrote:
In/spectre had various issues, even some in animation but its animation was never anythin special to begin with.

In/Spectre is something of an acquired taste. Most of the issues I see raised against it are true of its source material as well. We are talking about a series where several wholly dialogue driven chapters in a future arc are confined to a single room. It makes a series like Sagrada Reset look frenetic in comparison. As far as adaptations go, I think they did a decent job.

Last edited by Seagloom on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Still looks better than Mars of Destruction, at least.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
What pisses me off is the fact that all of the money used to make these rushed shows could have been used to make a sole not rushed one.

Or even not rushed mini series, they could animate something like Pluto with the same number of episodes as GOH and it would have been glorious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4