• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: LeSean Thomas, MAPPA's Yasuke Anime Reveals Spring 2021 Debut, Character Designs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that sounds cool. Something like that old Samurai Seven anime but the plot gives a very strong Lone Wolf and Cub vibe. And given that Mappa is doing the animation, I have high hopes for it.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Allright, can someone help me? Nobunaga is sometimes a good person, sometimes literally satan in anime. Why is that? Was he a very controversial figure or something?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I’m definitely checking this one out! I hope we still get Canon Busters season 2.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:
Allright, can someone help me? Nobunaga is sometimes a good person, sometimes literally satan in anime. Why is that? Was he a very controversial figure or something?
He's kind of Japan's answer to Julius Caesar. He got the ball rolling on the unification of mainland Japan, which has endured to this day, but that kind of involved plunging the entire island into war, so yeah. Some people can look beyond the kinda ruthless politics and see the good in what he was trying to achieve, and others can't.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:

Real people are complex. He was violent, ruthless and cruel, but also curious, relatively open-minded and fun-loving.
As said he was like Julius Caesar in that he achieved great things at great costs. JC has a cleaner image because he was a bit more diplomatic... and probably also because the people that were to praise his deeds aren't the same ones who had to suffer them.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:
Actually, it's pretty easy - it comes with the Japanese people LOVE for Romance of the Three Kingdoms, that still make inspiration on modern media here and there.

Now you think - what the Chinese novel even have with the image of Oda Nobunaga in modern media? The answer - the overlap of character between actual Nobunaga, who was actually the first warlord who tried to actually unify Japan under his hand, and were quite smart for using unconventional methods of warfare for achieving his dreams, but also the one who fought even his own family and relatives to achieve that (plus also not had a big love for Buddhism, which actually not made his image better when Buddhism get back as prominent religion in Japan after Tokugawa rise, and being pretty pro-European opposed to usual Japanese traditionalism - but he wasn't actually as ruthless as opposed to many warlords of his era) - and depiction in the novel of Cao Cao, also the actual warlord who tried to unify the land under his hand.

The problem though is the author of Romance of the Three Kindgoms, Luo Guanzhong, was clearly depicted Cao Cao as a clear antagonist, a ruthless power-hungry tyrant, opposed to the "good guy" Liu Bei (which role usually goes to Ieyasu, the founder of Tokugawa dynasty who ruled Japan for hundreds of years later) - and basically, that mash-up of character, where Nobunaga become a villain (that also comes with a rule of making villains even hammier and villainy) is what you know now in modern media as "Demon King" Nobunaga - while usually in taiga dramas he depicted as, well, more grounded and pretty normal.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
That Nobunaga Oda is actually not a bishounen or genderbent. Joking aside, this looks fun.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Cannon Busters was generic pap of the worst kind, but anything with Redline vets has my attention.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
There's also the possibility his more ruthless actions might have been exaggerated due to his known hostility toward traditionalism and interest in Western cultures (him supposedly gilding the skulls of his enemies to use them as drinking vessels was definitely fabricated). Heck, him revolutionizing firearm tactics alone made a fair share of enemies for him.

He's a fascinating figure nonetheless. It's also neat how Yasuke has become a fixture despite not a lot being known about the guy.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
That Nobunaga Oda is actually not a bishounen or genderbent. Joking aside, this looks fun.

There's been a return to the classic "Demon King" Nobunaga design in the last couple of years; of the recent stuff (speaking of anime, keeping track of manga is impossible) only Kochoki gave us a bishonen Nobunaga
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:36 pm Reply with quote
fate grand order gave us genderbent nobunaga voiced by Rie Kugimiya and her brother nobukatsu voiced by Daiki Yamashita (Deku's VA). can't be topped! including the drifters version of him which was top fiction already!
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:05 am Reply with quote
kikuzinho wrote:
fate grand order gave us genderbent nobunaga voiced by Rie Kugimiya and her brother nobukatsu voiced by Daiki Yamashita (Deku's VA). can't be topped! including the drifters version of him which was top fiction already!

If you think that was funny, wait to see what happened when Nobunaga, who appeared in a mobile game named "Soul Reverse Zero", was voiced by Nobunaga Shimazaki, a fact he lampshaded to hell and back in his Twitter account.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:28 am Reply with quote
A non-fiction approach would have been better.
Nobunaga wo Koroshita Otoko is an example but that is hardly the only story that features Yasuke. He has been often used over the last 10 or so years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
Chadwick Boseman was gonna make a movie about Yasuke prior to his passing. Sounds like an interesting idea and I'm liking the creative team here.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
A non-fiction approach would have been better.

That'd be kinda hard considering there's virtually no info on Yasuke historically, not even what his actual name was. Compared to other gaijin historical figures like William Adams, there's not really any known info about him so any portrayal about him has to take a lot of liberties.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2