Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maison Ikkoku Collector's Edition GN 2




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1402
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
The idea of Viz just being like "yeah, this chapter is bad, skip it" sounds completely alien to me. Did no one raise any fuss about it when it first came out? Is it just universally panned?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata
Subscriber



Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Posts: 3162
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Which chapter was skipped the first time around? Could someone please post a spoiler-free summary?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
all-tsun-and-no-dere



Joined: 06 Jul 2015
Posts: 267
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
The idea of Viz just being like "yeah, this chapter is bad, skip it" sounds completely alien to me. Did no one raise any fuss about it when it first came out? Is it just universally panned?


This was the early or mid-90's, before the internet was widespread. Most people probably didn't know.

Quote:
Which chapter was skipped the first time around? Could someone please post a spoiler-free summary?


They go ice skating. Mitaka and Godai are bad at it and get mad when Kyoko pays attention to the other one. They fall down on her a lot. Godai throws a tantrum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dm



Joined: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 643
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Did that chapter make it into the anime? I think I remember it animated? Of course, few would have known about that, either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Roger Pepitone



Joined: 27 Apr 2016
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The chapter was animated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Subscriber



Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8877
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
Viz initially published Masion Ikkoku in flipped comic book form, later followed in flipped trade paperback form. They also skipped a couple of chapters at the beginning because they thought US readers would not understand Godai's struggle to get into college. They never said why they skipped the ice skating chapter. They also separated the trade paperbacks at different points than the Japanese version. I think they were trying to get full story arcs in a given TPB.

Later they issued a new round of TPBs, unflipped. These included the missing chapters from the first set and matched the original Japanese volumes for content. As a result, people who have already read the series may or may not have the missing chapters depending on which version they have.

They did the same thing to Urusai Yatsura. The missing chapters are only now available in current omnibus edition.

Dark Horse did the same thing to Oh My Goddess!. In that case they skipped chapters to match the OVA version being put out at the same time by AnimEigo. They later published the missing chapters in Super Manga Blast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
R. Kasahara



Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 324
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
Glad that this latest edition includes the ice skating chapter, despite its mediocrity, if only for completion's sake.

Alan45 wrote:
Later they issued a new round of TPBs, unflipped. These included the missing chapters from the first set and matched the original Japanese volumes for content. As a result, people who have already read the series may or may not have the missing chapters depending on which version they have.

Before that, Viz printed the missing chapters (minus the ice skating one) as a special feature in two issues of Animerica Extra. Said chapters are the ones that deal with how Godai finally gets into college, so it was baffling that they were missing from the first edition graphic novels to begin with; I remember reading them at the time and noticing the huge plot hole. I think Viz was being too cautious when they cut them that first time around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alan45
Subscriber



Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8877
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
@R. Kasahara

I first noticed that something was missing when I got the first couple of VHS tapes of the anime. It was obvious that they were animating something that was not in the manga version I had. Especially noticeable by its absence was Godai and Koyoko's night time visit to the clock works in the attic, which resulted in the clock sounding all night before a test. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere



Joined: 06 Jul 2015
Posts: 267
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Viz initially published Masion Ikkoku in flipped comic book form, later followed in flipped trade paperback form. They also skipped a couple of chapters at the beginning because they thought US readers would not understand Godai's struggle to get into college. They never said why they skipped the ice skating chapter. They also separated the trade paperbacks at different points than the Japanese version. I think they were trying to get full story arcs in a given TPB.


Thanks for the extra context; while I had a few volumes of Viz's first Maison Ikkoku trade paperbacks, they were first released well before my time.

I remember being confused at first at how Godai's academic woes suddenly disappeared. Later I got into an argument with someone about whether those chapters had been left out; I knew I wasn't misremembering!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maidenoftheredhand



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 2510
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I read Maison Ikkoku before. My version was unflipped but I don’t remember every chapter so I am not sure if I would recognize if I hadn’t read something before

Needless to say I am enjoying reading this series again. Sadly because of lack of space I am going for the Kindle version
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group