• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Yashahime Recapture Inuyasha's Magic?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Sesshomaru and RIn had sex. Deal with it. Just rip of the band-aid and acknowledge that's that's the reveal we're headed towards.

{Mod Edit}: I edited your post. Try to be less disgusting with the imagery and comments. ~ Psycho 101
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Probably one of the most disappointing sequels I ever watched. Moroha is fun but underplayed, Sesshomaru's children are quite bland, the action is boring despite being Sunrise, the jokes are lazy, etc. Even Moroha doesn't seem to care about her parents. It's disappointing how even Shippo has a replacement. There is nothing serious going on in the narrative in contrast to the old series. It's like they had no idea what to write and instead focused on jokes which is where Takahashi stands out especially if you have read the "serious arcs" of Ranma.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:35 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Sesshomaru and RIn had sex. Deal with it. Just rip of the band-aid and acknowledge that's that's the reveal we're headed towards.

I'm still pretty sure the show will just leave that band aid squarely on and just never never address it. It's pretty much the only explanation I can come up to explain why the show tries its best to underplay the parentage angle.

Otherwise it's a pretty weak sauce show, it fail as a sequel since its always trying to dissociate itself and if it was a stand alone it would already have been forgotten because of how bland everything is. Trowa is easily the most boring character and she's the lead for some reason. Moroha could probably carry the show on her shoulder of she was allowed to, but the writer love Trowa too much to let anything overshadow her, so Moroha is stuck as comic relief.

This was so easy, they just had to invert the story and keep the three girl in modern time. Hell take the lazy way and say that Naraku is going to resurrect in X years (ie modern time) and that's why the girl gotta stick around present time or something.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching but wasn’t that Rin in the tree thing when we briefly saw Sesshoumaru. I thought that implied Rin was the mother.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Rin was Sesshomaru's glorified pet, he didn't raise her nor traveled with her for more than some... months? Inuyasha was quite nebulous with time frames.

He fed her and made sure nothing fed on her, same as Jaken, its not the same as something like Usagi Drop.

That being said, the problem with the series is its failure in addressing the characters' motivations, characters are perfectly fine, their personalities and group dynamic is also perfectly fine.

They have no reason to stick together, there is no link between the Moroha's debt nor Towa's quest to find the butterfly nor Setsuna wants to find the butterfly.

Even worse, the butterfly's has showed to be a blessing saving the girls more than once and giving Setsuna various buffs, which makes it the most incompetent curse ever.

As I said before this could easily be fixed by giving the butterfly a high bounty and giving Setsuna a drawback on the curse (like loosing her memories as time goes on or going blind) this is something that could have been done in 5 mins tops in episode 3 and have 0 impact on the plot, the fact that they didn't do it simple pisses me off.

We have no reason to root for Towa because she looks like an egoistical jerk wanting to get rid of her sister's blessing ("Curse"), we have no reason to care about Moroha's debt because we know nothing about it and we don't care about Setsuna's quest.. because she doesn't have one.

They also don't care about their missing parents, so, when they find them the emotional impact will be 0.

Remember on episode 2 of Hero Academia how well sold Deku's reaction to All Might saying him "You can be a hero"?

Well, imagine that scene but with Deku saying that he doesn't care about being a hero for 2 episodes.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The worst part of the show is that the parents mystery is contrived and unnecessary. If the main characters don't care about who their parents are or what happened to them, then why should we? And it's impossible to extend it for so many episodes. Kagome and Inuyasha had a big social network, those people are still alive, Moroha was going to learn about her parents wheter she wanted or not. And Rin, even if by some miracle isn't the twins' mother, was close to Sesshoumaru, she would have an idea who the mother is or why he left them. Bad writing all around.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Saying Sesshomaru/Rin would be another Bunny Drop and that she was Sesshomaru’s daughter figure is a stretch. Sesshomaru never officially adopted Rin nor was he ever a father to her. He didn’t raise her. Her role in the story was just to be Sesshomaru’s Morality Pet so he could learn to have empathy and compassion towards humans.

Jaken was more of a father figure to her since he was the one who took care of her whenever Sesshomaru had to go off somewhere.

I don’t even want Rin to be the mother (even it’s most likely her) but I wouldn’t go as far as to compare that outcome to Bunny Drop.

Anyways, I am one of those fans who’s been sorely disappointed in Yashahime. Even if the pacing is as slow as its predecessor, the plot has taken a lot of liberties and contrived tropes just to justify why things are the way they are. Maybe it’ll be properly explained in future episodes, but so far it just feels like a lot of hand-waving and “just cause.”

Moroha is great thought. I love her. She should’ve been the main focus.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Considering how infamously slow and plodding Inuyasha was, Yashahime feels pretty brisk

Seriously? Shocked James Beckett would probably like to have a word with you, as his main complaint in the reviews every week has been exactly the opposite, and it seems a lot of viewers agree.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
He fed her and made sure nothing fed on her, same as Jaken, its not the same as something like Usagi Drop.

He didn't even feed her. He mostly sent her off with Jaken to find her own food. But yeah, I don't find it squicky. The situation between Sesshy and Rin is unique, and its presentation is descriptive, not prescriptive. No one is holding their relationship up as a role model, but likewise there's no need to, um, demonize it. Rolling Eyes

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Even worse, the butterfly's has showed to be a blessing saving the girls more than once and giving Setsuna various buffs, which makes it the most incompetent curse ever.

Someone in the review thread recently floated the idea that Sesshoumaru sicced the butterfly on Setsuna, precisely to help her survive alone without Towa. I kinda like that theory. We'll see if it pans out.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not an Inuyasha fan and I haven't seen Yashahime but I was dissapointed when I find out that the show was going to be dubbed into Spanish in Argentina (ironically, my home country) instead of Mexico where Inuyasha was dubbed (and that dub was held in high regard), especially since other countries outside of Japan managed to bring the original voices back, like the English dub. I'm not saying that there aren't any good voice actors in my country, I just imagined that they would bring the original cast back and all the shows that premiered in Crunchyroll were dubbed in Mexico, Yashahime is the exception. It's not the first time this happens, the Inuyasha movies were dubbed in Venezuela back in 2014, but the Final Act was dubbed in 2016 with the original cast back, but for this new series the actors didn't even know that the sequel was going to be dubbed in another country.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I'm not an Inuyasha fan and I haven't seen Yashahime but I was dissapointed when I find out that the show was going to be dubbed into Spanish in Argentina (ironically, my home country) instead of Mexico where Inuyasha was dubbed (and that dub was held in high regard), especially since other countries outside of Japan managed to bring the original voices back, like the English dub. I'm not saying that there aren't any good voice actors in my country, I just imagined that they would bring the original cast back and all the shows that premiered in Crunchyroll were dubbed in Mexico, Yashahime is the exception. It's not the first time this happens, the Inuyasha movies were dubbed in Venezuela back in 2014, but the Final Act was dubbed in 2016 with the original cast back, but for this new series the actors didn't even know that the sequel was going to be dubbed in another country.

Woof. I never had the privilege of listening to Inuyasha in Spanish, but it's a major bummer they couldn't get the OG actors. Gotta wonder what the story there is, Viz went through the extra effort to bring the OG dub cast back (after not doing so for the "Final season").
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Woof. I never had the privilege of listening to Inuyasha in Spanish, but it's a major bummer they couldn't get the OG actors. Gotta wonder what the story there is, Viz went through the extra effort to bring the OG dub cast back (after not doing so for the "Final season").

No one is sure why they decided to switch the dubbing country especially since the Final Act was dubbed only 4 years ago. I heard some people said it's because Miroku's voice actor, Gabriel Gama, who was the ADR director for both the original series and Final Act had some disagreements with Sesshomaru's voice actor some time ago, but I don't think that's the case.
I was hoping the cast was going to return since Inuyasha's voice actor, Enzo Fortuny, recently voiced Yuji Itadori in Jujutsu Kaisen and Kagome's (or Ahome as we call her in Latin America) voice actress, Ana Lobo, voiced Iu Shindo in I'm Standing on a Million Lives, both series were in Crunchyroll just like Yashahime, though it seems that Crunchy only has the distribution rights for the latter and it's not considered an Original like the first two and perhaps that's why it wasn't dubbed in Mexico.
Still, some people tried to gather some signatures to bring the original cast, they amassed about 20.000 but those petitions almost never work.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

The translation it's a mixed bag, some characters are fine some are passable...

And then there is Sango, there is no emotion on her delivery, I swear is one of the most amateurish voice acting I have heard in a while.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:15 am Reply with quote
Considering the upcoming new season of My Hero Academia is taking over Yashahime's timeslot in late March, I'm curious if the anime will wrap up by then or if it'll just leave off as Part 1 of the Yashahime saga, with a new 2-cour season coming at a later date.

The show's pacing suggests they are not in any rush to answer the major mysteries, not to mention the lack of announcements on how the episode count will be moving forward.
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is also fine by me because the boys were also absolutely the most annoying part of Inuyasha for me.

Right, because the female protagonist of the show was such a peach herself. Rolling Eyes Thank God Kagome was always there to slam Inuyasha to the ground and deny his right to mobility whenever he said anything she didn't like. Just a simple "Sit, boy!" (because he's her pet, you see?) was enough to put Inuyasha back in line if he ever got too "annoying".

The fact that those moments still stand out in my memory from having watched the first hundred something episodes of Inuyasha over a decade ago says something about Kagome and probably says something about me, as well. I don't know what the Inuyasha fandom pretending she's an exemplary MC despite that gross behavior says about the Inuyasha fandom, but it baffles me and always has. If Kagome is nowhere to be seen in the show that can only be a plus in my book. No other Takahashi character ever managed to infuriate me so.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I stopped watching but wasn’t that Rin in the tree thing when we briefly saw Sesshoumaru. I thought that implied Rin was the mother.

Oh yes, especially since she's wearing what appears to be a traditional birthing gown. Implying she was "frozen", perhaps as a result of her pregnancy not going so well.

As an aside, I think the only way anyone's sensibilities are going to be hurt by Sesshomaru's relationship with Rin is if they themselves project onto the characters some kind of paternal relationship.
Therefore, it's important to take a step back and realize, as many have pointed out, that Sesshomaru was never actually a parental figure for Rin. She was just his follower, and though he grew to care about her greatly, he kept her at a great enough distance that she could realistically choose not to be with him as she got older if she really wanted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2