• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan The Final Season Anime Listed With 16 Episodes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:44 am Reply with quote
Cool to have it officially announced. The leakers dropped this tidbit of info a few months ago. Still wondering how they intend to adapt the last 15 or so chapters.
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:46 am Reply with quote
Chapter 122 is where everyone is saying this season's gonna stop at. Hopefully it's gonna have a part 2 instead of a "finale movie" like what all the leakers are speculating. The thrill of waiting week to week is kinda a big part of the experience. Plus they would have to cut a crap-ton of stuff if they're planning to adapt the last 16 chapters in 2> hours long movie. Pacing wise, it would be like the "Roar of Awakening" movie where all of the side characters' story got cut short or not shown at all. And from what I'm hearing from the manga readers, the material that they're about to adapt is way more condensed than S2's material, so again, fingers crossed for a part 2.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hiroyuki Sawano is returning to compose the music, alongside Kohta Yamamoto

So far I haven't heard any new Sawano piece, only new ones by Yamamoto alongside Sawano's returning music from previous seasons.

I know they twittered about recording music together shortly before the season began airing, but it's still strange. Either Sawano is only supervising Yamamoto's music or we will only get new Sawano tracks later and they purposefully leave it out as long as we are on marleys side of things.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:57 am Reply with quote
I doubt they can fit everything then. Hopefully split cour like season 3.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:00 am Reply with quote
Since adapting everything in 16 episodes is nearly impossible, and the producers said earlier they're "determined to adapt the manga all the way until the end", a part 2 looks very likely (or maybe even a movie, hopefully not).
kae kurono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:30 am Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
Quote:
Hiroyuki Sawano is returning to compose the music, alongside Kohta Yamamoto

So far I haven't heard any new Sawano piece, only new ones by Yamamoto alongside Sawano's returning music from previous seasons.

I know they twittered about recording music together shortly before the season began airing, but it's still strange. Either Sawano is only supervising Yamamoto's music or we will only get new Sawano tracks later and they purposefully leave it out as long as we are on marleys side of things.

So i'm guessing because sawano is composing both the 3 gundam Hathaway's Flash film trilogy for the next couple years, he's letting Kohta Yamamoto take lead composing music for the Final Aot season while he takes supervising role for the soundtrack?

Its pretty hard for someone to work on composing music for 3 movies (2021-2022-2023 respectively assuming) and a 16 episode season at the same time, so it makes sense why he has another composer to help him out for 1 of the 2 major projects he's working on.

But it sucks that so far there's only been reused songs from sawano for the final season.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:08 am Reply with quote
Like many of you, I'm reasonably sure these 16 episodes will only be the first part of the final season, and that the second part will air later this year. Assuming the manga will end with chapter 138 as speculated, as long as they keep covering an average of two chapters per episode as they have so far, 24 episodes should be enough to get to the end.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
I don't think this final season is going to be split-cours. At the rate the final season is going episode 16 should cover up to chapter 122. The remaining chapters could fit in a 100 minutes movie. I would be fine with this approach if the theoretical movie was released no later than the middle of 2022.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:55 pm Reply with quote
It's obviously going to be split into multiple parts like MHA but just have a part one part two and so on.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I want Part 2, not a movie or two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:52 pm Reply with quote
AoT has done this before with season 3. So they will probably be a part 2.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:57 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I don't think this final season is going to be split-cours. At the rate the final season is going episode 16 should cover up to chapter 122. The remaining chapters could fit in a 100 minutes movie. I would be fine with this approach if the theoretical movie was released no later than the middle of 2022.

Episode 16 would cover chapters 122 & 123 (beginning of volume 31) sticking to the current pacing,

We're at chapter 135 with chapter 136 being released soon™, and with the thinking the series will end with chapter 138.

That'll leave upwards of 20 plus chapters left to be adapted.
That's more than one movie worth of content.
A ten episode 2nd cour rounded out to 11-12 episodes with filler/epilogue..
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the idea that it will adapt the finale of the manga into a film, but it is probably going to happen at this rate.

Split cour would be cool, but the Production Committee may be eyeing for more money.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
I don't like the idea that it will adapt the finale of the manga into a film, but it is probably going to happen at this rate.

Split cour would be cool, but the Production Committee may be eyeing for more money.

Especially with KnY cleaning up with a non-final-arc film. We can probably expect to see more of this in the future.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
Where the hell are you guys getting the idea that the final chapters will be turned into a movie? That's the stupidest speculation I've ever heard. Attack on Titan has always been a seasonal anime so there obviously going to split the final season into multiple parts until they adapt everything.

People are coming up with that because Kimetsu no Yaiba proved that it can and could be done. In KnY's case, they did it with a middle-of-the-story arc, and it made bank. Thing with this kind of compromise is that KnY was an already successful anime show adapting an arc that should've been just another TV season, not the movie it ended up being, and to me, it just break the flow of the TV show in case there's another season taking place after the Mugen Train arc, unless they take the Dragon Ball Super route, and adapt the arc again into the show, but we still don't know if there's more KnY anime after the movie either way.

Personally, I'm crossing fingers that we do get a 2nd cour for AoT instead of a movie, mainly because if the KnY movie proved anything besides money, is that it's not gonna get a simultaneous release worldwide, and I don't see MAPPA taking the Dragon Ball Super route. Also, a long time ago someone on twitter posted a picture of a script cover with the title Attack On Titan, The Final Season: Part One.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2