• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mike Pollock Remains as Voice of Sonic the Hedgehog's Dr. Eggman

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh thank sweet Neptune. Still sucks about the others however. While the Sonic Boom games sucked, the tv show was just the best. Netflix would be wise just to hire one of the writers of that show.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
There's a "nice guys finish last" joke in here somewhere.
Nyres

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Considering he got his start as Eggman from the 4Kids dub of Sonic X I think we can now say 4Kids definitely did something right. Also really glad to hear this because honestly I think he does a great job as Eggman.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't imagine anyone else as Eggman, so I'm glad Mike survived yet another apparent cast culling, but I'm curious about the casting for Sonic Prime and what that might entail for the games.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Some voices never need to or should change. Mario never needs to change, Eggman doesn't need to change.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
tbh imma miss amy's.
liked how her vocie fit character.

glad least eggman is sticking around.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I couldn't imagine anyone else as Eggman, so I'm glad Mike survived yet another apparent cast culling, but I'm curious about the casting for Sonic Prime and what that might entail for the games.

I'm actually more curious if the rest of the voice cast including Sonic will be LA-Based or a Vancouver-based cast for Netflix's Sonic Prime? If it's the latter then that means Mike Pollock would be the only non-Vancouver-based voice actor for the show similar to how The Dragon Prince largely consisted of a Vancouver-based cast while Jack DeSana was the only non-Vancouver actor involved.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Some voices never need to or should change. Mario never needs to change, Eggman doesn't need to change.
Sadly I can see them replacing Charles Martinet in 10-20 years (he's 65). While voice acting can be a long running gig compared to other professions, there will be a point in someones life were you can't do certain things anymore. Now that does not mean he can't stop voice acting completely, He can do other voices most likely. Who knows, maybe he'll be like Alan Young (Scrooge McDuck) and voice Mario into his 90's.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:
Sadly I can see them replacing Charles Martinet in 10-20 years (he's 65). While voice acting can be a long running gig compared to other professions, there will be a point in someones life were you can't do certain things anymore. Now that does not mean he can't stop voice acting completely, He can do other voices most likely. Who knows, maybe he'll be like Alan Young (Scrooge McDuck) and voice Mario into his 90's.

I hope they at least use him in the Illumination Mario movie instead of stunt casting.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
So far he is the only VA in the Sonic franchise to be known as THE voice of that character. Everyone has their favourite Sonic VA, whether it be Ryan, Jason, Rodger etc.But you can't point to a particular game and say "that's what Sonic sounds like".
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
Mike Pollock was the only NY based vo after the 2nd switch up. Side note met him in person and he is a great guy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Nyres wrote:
Considering he got his start as Eggman from the 4Kids dub of Sonic X I think we can now say 4Kids definitely did something right.

You mean besides the 2004 TMNT Series?

H. Guderian wrote:

Well provided nothing happens to Charles Martinet or Mike Pollock either health wise or personal wise ala Mignogna or what nearly happened to Squidward's voice actor a few year back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1