• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest Anime's 2nd Debuts in January 2022

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliceTheHare

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote
I can't help but noticed that the new director on this follow-up is Akira Iwanaga, which wouldn't be too notable except that the original director of the 1st season, before the big staff shuffle, was gonna be Jun Kamiya. Both have helmed separate seasons of Kingdom. Funny how things come full circle in a way.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:35 am Reply with quote
I'm probably one of the only people legitimately looking forward to this - I know the last season was terrible compared to the source, but it still managed to entertain me quite a bit.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:06 am Reply with quote
I just hope it won't face so many production issues as the first season did. Considering that the first 4 volumes which S1 adapted are my favorites out of the current 11, i think i would have prefered a proper restart before S2.
ETX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
As a huge fan of the manga, I was estatic when the anime (Season 1) was announced. Only to see it was marred by skipped content, production issues and average quality at best. The CG monsters was......yeah.

So please for all that is holy....Can we have some better production values than Season 1.
SP654

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
Finally after all this time now they announce the release date for season 2! Just wish they make the monsters less CGI.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
I'm probably one of the only people legitimately looking forward to this - I know the last season was terrible compared to the source, but it still managed to entertain me quite a bit.

I don't know about that, I think we all are looking forward to it. It is a great franchise, that should never have been subjected to such a dismal anime adaptation. We are just not as starry-eyed about it now. Taking a wait and see look.

Yune Amagiri wrote:
i think i would have prefered a proper restart before S2.

I agree, but I guess we gotta take what we can.

Casting my prayers on high, that the anime goddesses shine down on this production.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

I rather enjoyed it. Certainly couldn't claim it was good, but I'm looking forward to a second season nonetheless.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
THE LEGEND RETURNS

with slightly better CGI by the looks of it.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

im pretty hyped! just reading this announcement made me grin like an idiot Razz

i got insanely addicted to this series after watching the 1st season , buying up all the LNs/manga/soundtrack after that and just any merchandise could find that was reasonably affordable >.>
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
This was definitely a pretty fun anime, so I'm looking forward to the 2nd season!

It's really weird to me how there are a certain amount of fans who seem adamant on denying how much of a success this anime was, just because of its faults as an adaptation. There is absolutely a subset of fans who really enjoy the anime version specifically, or got into the franchise at large because of it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:59 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

Same here. I haven't read the LN or manga, but on it's own I enjoyed it well enough, so I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed hating Arifureta. But when it comes right down to it, I did enjoy it. It was trash with no developed personalities of its female cast past background story and wanting to sleep with the MC but it still managed to be fun. It could probably of been great trash if it actually had animation. Thought on reflection is had far more animation then some bombs we have had recently like 8th son. But then the fights really made me laugh out loud at how badly the CG monsters matched the characters.

What got me originally was really disliking the first two episodes was where Hajime operated at full cut wrists edgelord mode, spiteful thoughts and being a full tragic hero. During that I legit thought the show was just bad. Afterward when it found its feet being dumb fun I found I wanted to watch to the end.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
It's really weird to me how there are a certain amount of fans who seem adamant on denying how much of a success this anime was, just because of its faults as an adaptation. There is absolutely a subset of fans who really enjoy the anime version specifically, or got into the franchise at large because of it.

That's great for you, and if what you say is true, then we have you and the others to thank for the continuation.

I haven't seen anyone arguing about it's success, we are getting a new season, so it had to do good in Japan. I certainly enjoyed seeing my favorite characters animated, even in this dismal adaptation. But there were known production issues that the author had to step into, but they just didn't have the remaining money to fix things. Anime only fans were complaining about the characterizations of the main characters. Kind of disheartening to see no love for the main characters, because the production raced through everything. Then there is the omission of the spoiler[Empire and the Beast Kingdom Capitol. ]I fear that means they will be cut in the second season too. Hope not.
borisdrakoni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Then there is the omission of the spoiler[Empire and the Beast Kingdom Capitol. ]I fear that means they will be cut in the second season too. Hope not.

With Shoichi Sato returning to do the series composition and scripting, I wouldn't be too surprised if season 2 was similarly paced. Pretty much everything in the trailer besides the final scene could be from the first episode or two based on when they take place in the novels, so there's no telling how far they're actually going to go this time. I could easily see a large chunk of content from volumes 7 and 8 being cut down in the second half of the season since the setup for it was left out of season 1.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:

That's great for you, and if what you say is true, then we have you and the others to thank for the continuation.

Based on them confirming a second season during the airing of the first I assume they had financed 2 season from the start. It certainly means the production committee that setup season 1 is behind season 2. Otherwise it would (most likely) of taken much longer to get interested parties back together. That is what I thought when they announced it despite reviewing badly and dont have anything to make me think otherwise yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2