• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Spriggan Anime Unveils More Staff, New Visual

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
This is bittersweet, as it looks like it's going to be primarily CG. Especially with David Pro coming off Fire Force, which shows they could handle Spriggan's frenetic action in traditional animation. Hopefully it'll still capture the material well. The poster looks like at least three or four arcs will be covered, including one of the more controversial ones. I like that approach.
ssjtennis1

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
Didn't David productions handle the Jojo CG openings for the first few seasons? Or were they handled by a different studio? If David productions did handle them, I'm not too worried about the CG in Spriggan.

And I guess BONES is animating a Mark Millar comic this year for Netlfix. Netflix is doing a decent job of keeping their partnered studios busy.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
ssjtennis1 wrote:
Didn't David productions handle the Jojo CG openings for the first few seasons? Or were they handled by a different studio? If David productions did handle them, I'm not too worried about the CG in Spriggan.

The Jojo cg openings were done by Kamikaze Douga instead of Davidpro
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote
I'm remaining cautiously optimistic on this one. I loved the movie so I am definitely interested.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
Trailer of the original movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKx5woiP6-4

Goddamn this movie looks great. Hopefully this new film pars up.

Anyone know where I can watch the original?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:11 am Reply with quote
The problem isn't whether or not the CG is good or not, it's how much it is used. The Movie, despite being a Studio 4°C production, used CG sparingly. If you you show or film has a car chase, don't use CG, if it has mechs, don't use CG. It's simple. Only do so if there is an artistic reason.

Going by the credits and poster, it looks like it is going to be entirely 3DCG. In which case you have to wonder why they even bothered making it in the first place.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:46 am Reply with quote
I see a crystal skull on that poster. That means they actually might be crazy enough to animate the spoiler[Hitler] storyline.

I wonder if they'll give some time to other things that the movie ignored, like werewolves, or the entire female cast.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Trailer of the original movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKx5woiP6-4

Goddamn this movie looks great. Hopefully this new film pars up.

Anyone know where I can watch the original?

Since the original was ADV you might check out Hi-Dive.
sonryu

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to rewatch the movie first, then check out this series.

I'm more interested in the announced Akira animated project... maybe it'll be in a format like Hellsing Ultimate. But then again, I thought the new Berserk animated project would be in a format like Hellsing Ultimate as well, and we got a crappy CG series instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The chunky stone robot in the top right is Gilgamesh if I remember right. Could be dumb fun. Or not. Can´t wait for the multiple Hitlers. The manga kinda runs out of steam as it goes on so I wouldn't mind changes to the story. Less Bond Gols of the week for example. The movie too made adjustments. Long story short. This is MGS x Indy/Lara Croft but for teens. Kinda. The action is often edgy, Yu gets a decent body count and the body count is high in general.

The movie has a great score so here is hoping that the anime can live up in that aspect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Since Morikubo isn't coming back for a reason that I'm sure wasn't his considering he's been announced to be doing minor roles after Kobayashi was announced as Yuu, I can only hope they at least let Koyasu return as Jean.
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The chunky stone robot in the top right is Gilgamesh if I remember right. Could be dumb fun. Or not. Can´t wait for the multiple Hitlers. The manga kinda runs out of steam as it goes on so I wouldn't mind changes to the story. Less Bond Gols of the week for example. The movie too made adjustments. Long story short. This is MGS x Indy/Lara Croft but for teens. Kinda. The action is often edgy, Yu gets a decent body count and the body count is high in general.

The movie has a great score so here is hoping that the anime can live up in that aspect.

Nah yo...

Am sure that’s the Berserker robot in the UK arc.

Finally am glad to see animated Yoshino, but damn Akatsuki’s using the XM8 instead of the AUG. Oh well, least the former has precedence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1