• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Intern Annika - A Magical Visit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Damn good drawing in this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
You never forget your first Circus.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
That one hits a bit close to home.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, this definitely hits close to home. I don't consume as much anime/manga as I used to, but god when I find something I actually like, I go all out.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Well spoken, brother.

I've really enjoyed this return from Nina. Annika has brought us all such wisdom. I've cycled in and out a few times, ramping up other hobbies to prevent burnout. It really helps to return to something beloved and go back to the fountainhead.

Dezaki, Kon, Yuasa, Madhouse, and gorgeous 80s OVAs dripping with glorious sakuga cuts are my usual rejuvenating meals. Give me a little Joe vs Rikiishi, Little Slugger running amok, Kaiba's journey, Redline's racing, and let that Robot Carnival come to town to blow us all away again and again. If I'm in truly dire straits, I bring out the big guns and top off with a little Utena. Ya gotta keep those fires going, friends. It's too easy to let them go out if you don't stock up for winter.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I have been starting to feel some fresh burn out myself. though honestly in response to the even the cynically made garbage question. I was honestly expecting to say that abridged series exist for a reason
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Now there is a phrase that desperately needs an update. As old as I am, I've never been to a circus. Wink I don't think they exist in the US anymore.

I do remember my first anime scene though (A young girl and a giant panda fighting in the rain), and that was almost 24 years ago. And yes, burnout is real.
Raneth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
I went through really bad burnout a while back, and the thing that got me out of it was re-watching DBZ. Going back to what made you fall in love with the medium truly is the best cure. Very Happy
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
On a related vein, I'm looking for a new spring to make me thirsty. I haven't gotten excited over a new anime since "Dororo (2019)" and the "Sailor Moon: Eternal" movies that I shared with my niece. There's just so much out there, and fewer and fewer productions make me think "Oooo, that looks interesting!" each year.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
Weird seeing Nina wear pants.

Also her nickname is ANN? I see what you did there. Birth of a new mascot.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
As a writer, there's a lot of pressure for me to keep up with currently running anime and not miss anything that's worth my, or my audience's time. In the last few months, I started losing the time and drive to watch stuff that I'm interested in, and only keep up with the series I felt obligated to watch, i.e. currently airing and things to review.

This last season, I was trying to keep up with close to a dozen series, plus a couple things newly posted to streaming, while starting back at my day job and trying (and failing) to keep up on my freelance workload. It was exhausting. I never felt like I wanted to watch anything, just that I had to. I could feel the burnout creeping into my system but felt powerless to stop it. Anime hasn't been relaxing for me in years, and I'm fine with that because I like engaging with it intellectually, but it was starting to feel like a job I had to do instead of wanting to do.

Then my grandmother died.

I flew home to California, where I was so busy with family stuff that I had no time to watch anime. The day after I got back, I left again for a three-day work retreat that was stuffed with professional development, bonding (and drinking) with my coworkers (who I genuinely like!), and spending time outdoors. Once again, no time for anime. There was no way I could catch up with everything I was watching.

So I just... let it go. It was incredibly freeing.

Suddenly I was watching series that I enjoyed at my own pace - still for review, but something I was sincerely into. I wasn't worried about falling behind or being spoiled. The burnout dissipated almost immediately, and I'll probably be trying to keep up with much fewer shows per season going forward and making time for backlog shows that I can watch on my own time.

Last edited by all-tsun-and-no-dere on Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
So I just... let it go. It was incredibly freeing.

Suddenly I was watching series that I enjoyed at my own pace - still for review, but something I was sincerely into. I wasn't worried about falling behind or being spoiled. The burnout dissipated almost immediately, and I'll probably be trying to keep up with much fewer shows per season going forward and making time for backlog shows that I can watch on my own time.[/i]

I'm so sorry everything piled up on you like that, and for your loss. I do hope everything works out for you in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1