• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Akiba's Trip: Hellbound & Debriefed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millhi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote
If I remember well and unless it's changed from the psp version (which I doubt it is) the customization of your character just lies in you being able to play as whatever npc you want after you unlock each one of them (There's 89 character designs to unlock in total) on later new game+ playthroughs.

The review didn't mention it but the keybindings are so awful to use. Like enter is . and back is / and then the enter button is exit game.
It's a tad better when you use a controller but for the dualshock which I tried multiple buttons are switched. square is circle and circle is square, R2 is option/touchpad etc which I hope they fix.

Last edited by Millhi on Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
If I remember well and unless it's changed from the psp version (which I doubt it is) the customization of your character just lies in you being able to play as whatever npc you want after you unlock each one of them (so like 89 unlocks) on later new game+ playthroughs.

The review didn't mention it but the keybindings are so awful to use. Like enter is . and back is / and then the enter button is exit game.
It's a tad better when you use a controller but for the dualshock which I tried multiple buttons are switched. square is circle and circle is square, R2 is option/touchpad etc which I hope they fix.

The reviewer only played the Nintendo Switch version so that's likely why it wasn't mentioned here. That sounds really annoying though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
If I remember well and unless it's changed from the psp version (which I doubt it is) the customization of your character just lies in you being able to play as whatever npc you want after you unlock each one of them (so like 89 unlocks) on later new game+ playthroughs.

Ah, so it's got a kind of Guardian Heroes-thing going with unlocking NPCs to play as them? That's actually really cool, but having to beat the game 89 times to get them all is patently ridiculous. That's like beating Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance 15 times. I'd never have figured that out on my own, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

See, it's stuff like that that frustrated me about Akiba's Trip. It'd be a lot more fun if it weren't so stiff sometimes. A pity.
Millhi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:57 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

The reviewer only played the Nintendo Switch version so that's likely why it wasn't mentioned here. That sounds really annoying though!

Ah that makes sense then.

FinalVentCard wrote:

Ah, so it's got a kind of Guardian Heroes-thing going with unlocking NPCs to play as them? That's actually really cool, but having to beat the game 89 times to get them all is patently ridiculous. That's like beating Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance 15 times. I'd never have figured that out on my own, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

See, it's stuff like that that frustrated me about Akiba's Trip. It'd be a lot more fun if it weren't so stiff sometimes. A pity.

Well you don't really have top play it 89 times, you can unlock majority if not all of them with just a few playthroughs. Probably wasn't clear enough in my original message for that.

That's also fair, I mostly bought the game for the story that I loved back in the day and now I can replay it including all of the faults and stiffness the first game had. (The second game was better with the QoL etc stuff but the story took a hit.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1