• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Pioneer, Astro Boy Anime Producer Fred Ladd Passes Away at 94

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
RIP. Great guy. Interviews done with him over the years have been really enlightening about the early days of anime and localization. He and others, like Ted Koplar (Voltron) and Carl Macek (Robotech), deserve a lot more recognition than they get. Amazing vision to see the overseas potential in these properties.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I owe a lifetime of appreciating animation as a medium for science-fiction, as an art-form, and a lifetime of being an anime fan from before I knew the word, to childhood viewing of Astro Boy.

Vaya con Dios, Mr. Ladd.

(If I remember correctly, RightStuf sells anime instead of amateur telescope supplies thanks to an early encounter with Astro Boy.)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace, and thank you for all the work you did to bring this artform across the Pacific.
SparkTFS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Rest in Piece, and thanks for all your contributions. Even if you're gone, the fruits of your legacy will continue across generations to come.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Fred Ladd for all you've done for the anime industry. It wouldn't be the same without you. And thank you for your contributions to the DiC dub of Sailor Moon which made me the devoted anime fan I am today.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
RIP to a Legend.
taishou*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Really sad to hear. I don't know if anime would be where it is in the states right now without his contributions. Several generations of fans were introduced to anime thanks to his work.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:05 pm Reply with quote
None of us would be here without the legacy of Fred Ladd. It's thanks to him that TV broadcasters decided to take a chance on some crazy cartoons from halfway around the world and licensors even tried to bring any of them over at all. Thanks for everything, Mr. Ladd.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
He was instrumental in bringing anime to us baby boomers in the 1960s. He's why so many of us remember Astroboy, Kimba and Gigantor almost 60 years later. RIP, sir Sad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:31 am Reply with quote
Theodore Relic wrote:
He was instrumental in bringing anime to us baby boomers in the 1960s. He's why so many of us remember Astroboy, Kimba and Gigantor almost 60 years later. RIP, sir Sad

You're not kidding on that. I don't even remember how it came up in conversation, but I was blown away that my mom of all people could remember the Astro Boy theme song.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
RIP to who was/is arguably the father of anime fandom in the U.S.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
The man was a true legend and pioneer. It's amazing to think how much he influenced anime becoming a thing over here in the US. Without him who knows how things would've worked out. There are millions and millions of fans who get to enjoy anime in no small part to his early work bringing it over. That is quite a legacy to leave behind.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote
Just last night I was just talking with a friend about how blown away I was that Fred Ladd was able to get Astro Boy on U.S. television within the same year that it was on Japanese broadcasts in 1963! I am confident that similar conversations about him will continue on for many years to come. Thank you for all that you did for us, Fred.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
No doubt we have Fred Ladd to thank for this. And while DiC's Sailor Moon dub wasn't the first anime I saw, it was the desire to rewatch/watching it that wound up getting me more deeply into anime, much like Cardcaptor Takato's experience.

Much respect to Ladd's work on M.A.S.K. and Ghostbusters as well. They were two cartoons I remember fondly from the 80s and early 90s, before Western animation began its Ren-and-Stimpy-inspired shift away from toy-based/action series to cheaper gross-out comedies.
2-2Distracted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
RIP to one of the greatest. He might not have had much of a spotlight in the industry but his contributions say more than he ever had to
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1