• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mariko Kikuchi Launches New Essay Manga About Children Born Into Religion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:25 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. Would love to read it if it shows a good critique of practicing religion in general.
anpansparking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
I hope that it won't just be "Religion's bad," since there's certainly already plenty of that online, but will also examine the positives of being born into a religion.
TheBeastAR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Although I can't say I am expecting much, it would be nice if this manga did discuss the positive attributes and daily life of religion. As others have said there's a lot of 'religion is bad out there. And while those critiques are certainly valid, it's often shown in a very one sided manner in anime and manga. It's very rare in general nowadays to come across something on the subject of religion where faith is depicted in a more neutral and/or positive light.

Regardless, it will be interesting to read. It goes without saying the author will have to do her research to get anything more than a surface level depiction into her work.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious what stance will be followed here. Will it be good, bad, gray, or varied
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I need this in my life Shocked

Religion is a hard topic to tackle ever since, as it usually creates conflict within people -- within society. I would love to read her take on this. Might as well read it in its original language.
taishou*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
anpansparking wrote:
I hope that it won't just be "Religion's bad," since there's certainly already plenty of that online, but will also examine the positives of being born into a religion.

I wonder if this is referring to cults as opposed to religion in general? I know they're much more of a big deal in Japan since there was a wave of new age cults in the latter half of the 20th century. Japan still has a cult problem and I feel like a lot of people's experience with religion is through that lens which is very different from a lot of westerners.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
I wonder if this is referring to cults as opposed to religion in general? I know they're much more of a big deal in Japan since there was a wave of new age cults in the latter half of the 20th century. Japan still has a cult problem and I feel like a lot of people's experience with religion is through that lens which is very different from a lot of westerners.

My thoughts exactly. Love to give a read and see if it discusses cults or more "main stream" religions.

I have read a manga where some of the girls goes to a Christian school in Japan, but it wasn't the focus of the manga so it is hard to evaluate.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:36 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
I wonder if this is referring to cults as opposed to religion in general?

Japanese people likely see much less of a difference between the two than us. After all, this book makes it sound like being "born into religion" is unusual and makes you significantly different from others, even though most people in Japan are technically Shinto or Buddhist... faiths that are so low-key compared to western ones that people seem to assume Japan is mostly atheist. And when "our" religions come up in anime, well, you often get stuff like Evangelion.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:45 am Reply with quote
I'd like to read it. I'd be curious to see how these stories compare to Tamosan's JW manga. They were really interesting and educational.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
anpansparking wrote:
I feel as if the description itself (according to the ANN article) points to a mostly negative or perhaps ambivalent view of religion.
Quote:
The anthology essay manga will tell a different story about a different faith every chapter, and it will center on children who were born into a religion due to having parents practicing the faith, and who had no choice in their entry into the religion
It's kind of a given that young children have no choice in the matter, but to point it out suggests the stories may focus on negative experiences and distress in the household from the child's point of view. Not that families that practice religion have more hardships and anxiety than their non-practicing counterparts, but whatever negativity it depicts about religion could also be things that are more about the shortcomings of the parents rather than religion itself.

Whatever attitude about religion the authors have, the premise of this anthology seems interesting.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I expect it to be mostly negative takes but that's just due to how people view religion in general these days. I'll still give it a shot because it seems interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1