• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Showtime! AnimeFesta Anime Gets 2nd Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
This gets a second season but not Dorohedoro or Baccano!? Seriously?
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
@BaronViolet: In this case, it was probably planned from the start, while something like Dorohedoro or Baccano was dependent on the reception or how booked in advance the studio is and speaking of MAPPA, they're quite busy all the time to the point that they should be called an anime factory; while Baccano was created in a different era, when domestic reception and physical sales were more of a factor, as well as the anime serving as a promotional material for the light novels was the norm and my guess the latter was more of a factor when it came to the committee. At least that's the gist of it.

Besides, this one serves a niche audience - adult women looking for something raunchy -, while those ones are for a wider crowd. In short, apples and oranges.
earl.m

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
This gets a second season but not Dorohedoro or Baccano!? Seriously?

I think that you overrate the popularity of Dorohedoro and Baccano. The former was more popular with the western "too cool for school" crowd than it was with mainstream viewers in Japan or anywhere else. Baccano is another among the Trigun and Cowboy Bebop group that were more popular in America than it was in Japan due to its non-Japanese setting and themes.

As for this ... there is an audience for it in its home market. If anything, that audience is bigger due to fewer ecchi mainstream titles being released these days.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
It's also important to note that "another season" of Showtime only constitutes around 60 or less minutes of animation, and cheap animation at that. [/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1