• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Trade Group: Manga Pirate Sites Cost Industry 1.19 Trillion Yen in 2021

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where they get that number. Like are they really think everytime someone who read a pirated volume = one less volume sell?
zekro94

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It should be "Might cost" since someone who uses those sites would never pay or that number would be low. They really think that if there was no piracy everyone would pay
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:42 pm Reply with quote
zekro94 wrote:
It should be "Might cost" since someone who uses those sites would never pay or that number would be low. They really think that if there was no piracy everyone would pay

Seriously. Pretty sure poverty stricken countries are not going to buy Demon Slayer copies in droves. The argument that this is what "actually cost" is really foolish. The assumption that everyone pirates purely because they refuse to pay money is a really shallow idea. A sale that was never going to happen is not a lost sale. Its the same argument on pirating movies. Not only that, some countries straight up ban certain manga.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
I wonder where they get that number. Like are they really think everytime someone who read a pirated volume = one less volume sell?

From the article, it sounds like they are doing exactly that. Viewing a manga on a pirate site = one less legitimate, paid view. Of course they're going with the statistic that makes their case seem stronger.

Companies should go after the pirate sites, but maybe a bit of introspection would help combat piracy over the long term too.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Things are even worse than when Mangamura was at its heyday.”

It is almost as if shutting one down is only driving the traffic towards 50 other as opposed to driving people to pay for the manga. I know it also cites the rise of online activities in general, but then shouldn't legal digital manga get a boost too under this logic? Was this data evaluated against increases in legal access or the point below is the actual metric?

SilverTalon01 wrote:
From the article, it sounds like they are doing exactly that. Viewing a manga on a pirate site = one less legitimate, paid view. Of course they're going with the statistic that makes their case seem stronger.

Exactly. I think the publishers want to justify spending millions going after a hydra, not on improving access and availability, because the second option is hard and does not generate results readily because it is asking for a behavioural change, which comes very slowly.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
translation: manga industry at large refuses to follow the footsteps of the anime industry and resort to finger pointing as the cure for their ever decreasing profits.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
So your stuck at home due to lockdowns, all the shops are shut and your probably earning a lot less or even nothing because your not working because everything is shut....

It doesn't take much brainpower to deduce why people have been pirating stuff more in the last year....

Instead of trying to shutdown pirate sites spend the cash making a cheap unified platform that's easier to use than the pirate sites and watch the cash roll in...

How many people used to use napster etc to pirate music. Do I pirate music - nope because spottify, amazon etc have all the music I want cheaply, easily accessible and without malware...
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious this article is going up almost immediately after the new that Viz skipped publishing another chapter of Ayakashi Triangle which literally forces fans to pirate the series just to keep up with it. I will forever pirate manga that I can't legally read elsewhere and no one is going to do any moral grandstanding to try convincing me it's bad when we have companies literally going out of their way to censor and deny content to westerners. I'm mad and honestly I don't give two shits about what Japan thinks they're losing moneywise from manga being online, they're dead wrong.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Hilarious this article is going up almost immediately after the new that Viz skipped publishing another chapter of Ayakashi Triangle which literally forces fans to pirate the series just to keep up with it. I will forever pirate manga that I can't legally read elsewhere and no one is going to do any moral grandstanding to try convincing me it's bad when we have companies literally going out of their way to censor and deny content to westerners. I'm mad and honestly I don't give two shits about what Japan thinks they're losing moneywise from manga being online, they're dead wrong.

I'm not going to defend censorship, but the vast majority of manga and and anime produced does not suffer from censorship. Triangle is ABSOLUTELY censorship, but some things that are considered censorship have turned out to be false or mistaken. I remember when the whole "love you, like you" EVA controversy came out, when really it was the old ADV dub being liberal with translation, and the phrasing could be either phrase in Japanese.
ChiilongCha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Make content accessible and affordable, that was and has always been the solution to piracy. Yet here we are in 2022 where big companies ran by old minds are still trying to criminalize it.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The Number of manga i own dead tree versions of that i learned about from scanlators............
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Exactly. I think the publishers want to justify spending millions going after a hydra, not on improving access and availability, because the second option is hard and does not generate results readily because it is asking for a behavioural change, which comes very slowly.

To this point, this would also come at a huge upfront cost to the company, or companies, to provide infrastructure, support, licensing costs, and potentially a slew of other needs to make the model work of providing access to every piece of content in their catalogue. I'm not defending them, but it does put into perspective the hesitancy as we know they want to maximize their profit margins, while diminishing their overall operating costs.

The other issue lies right in the copyright laws. Separate countries, separate rules. Now others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any general international laws that help businesses deal with the gap in copyright.

I'm also not touching the, what-appears-to-be, archaic business models that do not fully grasp or integrate technology to its full potential.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:59 pm Reply with quote
and i can almost guarantee the the refusal to put certain manga available to read digitally through subscription service ccombined with the patheticness that is often "professional" english "translations" that double that amount was lost "stolen" by the own companies.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Hinotoumei wrote:
and i can almost guarantee the the refusal to put certain manga available to read digitally through subscription service ccombined with the patheticness that is often "professional" english "translations" that double that amount was lost "stolen" by the own companies.

I mean, many translations are good. Very few translations are bad these days. I would rather have a translation that is changed a bit, but read as natural, rather than some of these absolutely awful fan translations for certain series. I just want the dialog to sound normal, not like I am watching a 1970s hong kong dub. Honorifics being kept are really annoying for me. Also onomatopoeia being untranslated. It just loses the impact when I have to guess what I am supposed to hear in my head.
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:59 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
The Number of manga i own dead tree versions of that i learned about from scanlators............

I read 37 volumes of Berserk online after watching the '97 anime. Then, when RightStuf was selling the physical volumes for $5 each during one of their Christmas sales, I bought 37 volumes of Berserk. Amazingly, a product I like at a price that I like leads to me purchasing things.

It's also amazing to me also how often $5 seems like it's the piracy transition point. There's been some experimentation with this with music albums as well, and at $5, lots of people were quite willing to shell out their real money. Hmm...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3