• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Osaka Police Uses Ace Attorney Characters For Anti-Marijuana Campaign

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livin_large

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Considering the time period of the game, I guess it would be around the time of the Opium Wars so that checks out.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, "Just say no!" was such a shockingly effective anti-drug campaign.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the cost of weed in Japan averages like 50 USD a gram. That seems like enough of a deterrent. The drug laws in Japan are insane. 5 years of jail time for possession on your first offense?!
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I remember in the US, the D.A.R.E. program was such a colossal failure, that it significantly increased drug among kids, teens, and adults. I mean, when they make the drugs effects be extremely desirable, what did they expect to happen?

That said, the demonization of drugs instead of regulating it continues to be infuriating. Be it Japan or other parts of the world. It doesn't work.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
Considering the time period of the game, I guess it would be around the time of the Opium Wars so that checks out.
From what I can gather, a lot of the drugs that existed back then and are criminalised now, weren't back then. At least in most countries, China did criminalise Opium in the 19th century, but most other countries didn't start doing that until the early 0th century. in the Victorian era teething power for babies was Cocaine. So it is actually strange for characters back ten to be saying this.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the war on drugs is a lost cause. Japan is so out of date with their views on marijuana use.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

The legalization of marijuana meanwhile is estimating roughly $350 million in taxable revenue for the state of New York.

https://www.news10.com/news/how-much-could-new-york-make-off-marijuana-tax/

Saying I have no idea about the cultural idiosyncrasies of Japan's ban on the stuff vs. Reagan era drug programs is putting it mildly.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile on Team Rocket we have:

https://livecivilized.com/lifestyle/leisure/10-cartoon-characters-who-never-smoked-weed-on-screen-but-are-definitely-stoners

IMO they are outgunned, outsmarted and late to the party Anime hyper
Rosiero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, a lot of the witnesses and culprits in Ace Attorney would probably be a lot easier to deal with if they smoked a little weed every now and again.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
That said, the demonization of drugs instead of regulating it continues to be infuriating. Be it Japan or other parts of the world. It doesn't work

Japan has very little crime and overall a very safe country. If they can deterrent people from drug use than I can't see how that is anything but good. I don't really see America's legalization of drugs as a standard to follow. At best it comes off as a defeatist mentality of simply giving up -- at worse it's them prioritizing profiting off the addictions and vices of their people rather than helping them.
simona.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
Japan once again swimming against the tide.
Can someone tell them it's not the XX century anymore?
They're so stuck in Showa Era.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:29 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

I, for one, am looking forward to a wave of McGruff the Crime Dog doujinshi lol
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:
That said, the demonization of drugs instead of regulating it continues to be infuriating. Be it Japan or other parts of the world. It doesn't work

Japan has very little crime and overall a very safe country. If they can deterrent people from drug use than I can't see how that is anything but good. I don't really see America's legalization of drugs as a standard to follow. At best it comes off as a defeatist mentality of simply giving up -- at worse it's them prioritizing profiting off the addictions and vices of their people rather than helping them.

I'm going to be blunt: Demonization and looking down on those who do drugs, doesn't help, and if anything, creates more harm. Also, we can acknowledge the fact the United States has a serious issue with Gun Violence, but also acknowledge how legalization and removing the demonization of such can co-exist with each other.

Also, demonization of drugs (and anything, really) makes it incredibly difficult for people to seek help, as there are serious legal implications. If things were legalized, regulated, as well as generalized better mental health care across the board in various countries, this would help out a lot more. As it stands, there is still a lot of underground drug trade in Japan, as there is in any part of the world. While there isn't a lot of violent cases, no, it's still a huge issue. And for those who wish to seek help, especially if they become hooked on said drugs, legal issues and lack of proper programs are a huge issue.

So no, it's not the right answer. Do NOT even try to attack me on this either, because I have seen first hand what happens with the demonization of drugs do, as well as how people will look down on you. And in this case, it was actually prescribed pain killers with someone close to me on this issue.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Funny thing is one of my favorite anime shows of all time shows legal mood altering drug abuse by an adult while she is supervising minors. Yes, of course I am referring to Toba-Sensei getting silly drunk at campsites while being the Outdoor Activities Club advisor in Yuru CampΔ. She even asks Rin (who is going to the C-store on her Yamaha Vino 50 for more cooking gas) to illegally buy more alcohol for her.

While I am far from an expert in Japanese politics, it would be shocking to find the government following Kant's Categorical Imperative and being morally consistent by banning beverages containing more than 0.5% alcohol by volume (ABV)*. Proposing to destroy the sake industry would be a non-starter.

I hope no one will tell us that ethanol is not a drug, nor try to tell us that it is less harmful than cannabis when there is a mountain of scientific evidence that says otherwise. Reefer Madness not withstanding, the semi-legalization of cannabis in the USA has led to few if any problems, while helping to unclog the courts, jails, and prisons, and reducing the number of persons who turn to crime due to a drug conviction making finding employment difficult. The only real losers are the "drug lords" who no longer make massive profits through illegal cannabis importation and distribution, and all those who took kickbacks from said "drug lords".

*0.5% ABV is considered non-alcoholic in most nations, since one's GI system does not allow for drinking enough volume of liquid to become intoxicated, and a 0.0% ABV law would effectively ban fruit juice.
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Ace Attorney 7 should absolutely open with Phoenix having to defend Larry Butz on marijuana possession charges.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2