• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Reader Survey

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Feedback for the survey goes here.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is feasible; but it would be nice if there were a section in which to add a comment in the survey.
Raiyou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
I don't know if this is feasible; but it would be nice if there were a section in which to add a comment in the survey.

Yes. This. Please.

Have some thoughts I'd really like to share, but not in a public discussion / one of these threads.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:56 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately it's not feasible for us to read 5000+ surveys for comments. We do the surveys because it's a good way to get statistical data.

If you have feedback related to the survey that you'd like to make in private, please feel free to PM me.

-t
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:07 am Reply with quote
A few things that might have been included in the survey:

Anime-related related music events in Japan and/or overseas (which could be split into large general events like Animelo Summer Live / Animax Musix / Lisani, large artist or franchise events such as Princess Principal the live, small live shows in "live house" venues, and karaoke);

Tokusatsu as a category of Japanese televison/videos/music/tourism.

EDIT, having completed it and looked at the results, I was heartened to read that spoiler[anime soundtracks and music of anime] had a strong interest.[/spoiler]

Last edited by omiya on Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
NickPG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
The onscreen ads are interfering with the visibility and functioning of the survey. You should reformat the survey so it fits between the ads or block the ads from the survey page.
Also, what do car buying habits have to do with anime?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
NickPG wrote:
The onscreen ads are interfering with the visibility and functioning of the survey.
Thanks. I'll block ads from that page.

Quote:
Also, what do car buying habits have to do with anime?

It helps us sell ads, which helps us pay for articles about anime.

-t
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:01 pm Reply with quote
there isn't any option to say I collect normal traditional anime figures or want to (I would call statues or high end figures a separate category).
also you can't say that you do collect statues of anime characters

Given if you look at many anime vendors booths at an anime convention most of them will have a lot of under $100 not possable figures and then some over $100 ones I would consider this a rather major oversight of the survey
poltroon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy a lot about ANN but I tend to find it chaotic. It is hard to find the things I am interested in, and easy to overlook. I appreciate the chance to be exposed to articles that I might not have sought out, but it is noisy and sometimes I don't find things I would have been interested in. I often leave it tired, a little unsatisfied, and wishing I'd found more to read.

Ironically, since you asked about it, I often use the Talkback forum as an index to see a tidy and readable list of recent ANN articles. So, yes, I prefer it stays in the forum. Very Happy

I would love to see the new anime season previews rethought in terms of layout. I cannot tell from just the title/main page which of the anime will be of interest to me, and I run out of steam before I get to them all, having clicked in to too many that weren't interesting to me. Bringing forward the genre, a summary of the title, or a summary of the rating count, all would be tremendously helpful in getting me to click on the most interesting ones first, remembering what I've already read, and thus, actually, making it far more likely I'll read them all.

Your weekly reviews are among the articles I always seek out, and I also very much enjoy This Week In Anime which does a nice deeper dive on a series that's been running for a bit. If it's a series I'm watching, I enjoy it, and if it's a series I'm not, I either know I want to seek it out or that it's not for me. The style of the discussion is one of my favorite elements of ANN.

I appreciate that ANN in general keeps the forums very civil and does a good job of being inclusive and safe in moderation and in content. This is not as easy to do as it looks.

I know ads pay the bills but the ad experience on ANN is not wonderful and it constantly gives me the "this webpage is using excessive energy" warning. I hope the people who make decisions about what ads to run have them turned on. And attractive ads for aligned content are actually welcome. Anime fans probably have a fair amount of disposable income; we should be able to get better than "Hot NFL wives with these fuel-saving tips." Very Happy

Finally, I wonder if you've ever considered relaxing the necroposting rule for series discussion threads. It seems to me that having one thread for a series works well, and that someone can still have interesting insights 3 months after the last episode airs.
GodzillaJim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi ANN,

It'd be great if a direct link to the ANN Reader Survey could be provided for sharing via social media channels. I'd certainly like to encourage my network of fellow Aussies to provide more input.

Cheers Very Happy
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
poltroon wrote:
I appreciate that ANN in general keeps the forums very civil and does a good job of being inclusive and safe in moderation and in content. This is not as easy to do as it looks.
I can assure you that this comment will be very, very much well received in certain quarters!
poltroon wrote:
Finally, I wonder if you've ever considered relaxing the necroposting rule for series discussion threads. It seems to me that having one thread for a series works well, and that someone can still have interesting insights 3 months after the last episode airs.
I find this comment to be odd because, to the best of my knowledge, necroposting is permitted for all editorial (i.e., non-news) posts. Do you have any specific examples that you can link to?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:49 pm Reply with quote
GodzillaJim wrote:
Hi ANN,

It'd be great if a direct link to the ANN Reader Survey could be provided for sharing via social media channels. I'd certainly like to encourage my network of fellow Aussies to provide more input.

animenewsnetwork.com/survey/918/thanks

(If you've filled out the survey, you'll get the thank you message. If you haven't, you'll get the questionnaire)
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:16 am Reply with quote
Funny seeing consumer goods next to "cars" and "homes". I was actually looking at buying a home last year, got pre-approved and took some tours. We had to stop when we couldn't triangulate expectations between myself, loved ones, and the available supply on the market.
Skinkan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:37 am Reply with quote
I chose the option that I never write/wrote in the forums.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote
I'm obviously not very valuable to you since I only subscribe to streaming services, never buy physical media any more, and buy at most one or two games a year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2