• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko: Cucuruz Doan Film Is 'Probably' His Final Gundam Screen Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well Furuya for some reason left Seiya around 20 years ago for the Seiya ovas only to return in Omega so I'm kinda confused what's the reason.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Well Furuya for some reason left Seiya around 20 years ago for the Seiya ovas only to return in Omega so I'm kinda confused what's the reason.
Seiya in Omega is 38-39 years old, and Omega was kinda fanservice show, anyway.

Also, Furuya kinda sounds much more old school and epic compared to Morita.

As for Amuro, it is actually insanse that they decided to keep Furuya for his 15 years old self, considering Furuya is now 68 years old.

Not many voice actors get to keep their roles for sooooooo long.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:54 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Don't think he left. All the bronze saints were replaced at once. Probably a budget thing but who knows.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

Don't think he left. All the bronze saints were replaced at once. Probably a budget thing but who knows.

We'll likely never know the full & accurate story, but the one usually told is that Masami Kurumada felt that everyone but Furuya had aged too much, after hearing them in both Hades Sanctuary & the Heaven Chapter movie. Furuya allegedly didn't want to continue without the rest, so he was also recast, and his ex-wife Mami Koyama also left in solidarity with them, though both Furuya & Koyama would return for Seiya Omega years later.

To be fair... They did mostly all age. Furuya, somehow, continues to sound relatively ageless to this day, but the rest of the Bronze Saints definitely did show their age in Hades Sanctuary. Ryo Horikawa was probably the second-best in terms of trying to hide his age, but his Shun still couldn't fully mask it.

Anyway, if Cucuruz Doan's Island is indeed Yas' final Gundam production, then at least it is a fitting way to go out. The infamous episode that he blames himself for, since he simply outsourced the animation for it back in 1979, finally gets to be done right by him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Yas said that about the OVA for The Origin, too! I wish he'd do a full adaptation of the manga before he folded the director's chair for good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:24 am Reply with quote
As long as he's proud of his work, I can understand wanting to go out on a high note with one last classic MSG production.

Furuya and Ikeda will probably be playing Amuro and Char as long as they physically still can, one way or another.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yas said that about the OVA for The Origin, too! I wish he'd do a full adaptation of the manga before he folded the director's chair for good.

He already said in Gundam Ace that won't be happening:

Quote:
In terms of the cast, while the White Base crew will be featured, everyone was revamped for The Origin except for Amuro and Kai. This was done in anticipation of the main story of the One Year War arc, but that adaptation is no longer happening. For this reason, there were hardly any lines, despite this bold decision that was made. I always regretted this, but I’m glad that Doan came about, so it didn’t end up going to waste. I think there is a refreshing mix of the new and the old, with Furuya playing the leading role.

Besides, it was a flop on theaters all around.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In a similar fashion, Toru Furuya, the voice of Mobile Suit Gundam protagonist Amuro Ray, also stated in the event that the film "may be the last time I voice a 15-year-old Amuro in a film."

Keyword: Film. The door is still open for other works. Secretly, Sunrise are waiting for Furuya and Ikeda to kick the bucket before remaking the original for TV anime. Fans won't be able to complain when they are replaced. I kid.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:45 am Reply with quote
Doesn't mean he cannot allow another person to direct. Tomino himself has stopped directing but i believe that has more to do with his age and tenure. Considering how much universal century stuff that came out in the 2010s like unicorn, thunderbolt, narrative, hathaway and how heavily uc kits get restocked, sunrise will always find ways to stretch uc despite 75% of the franchise being aus. Whereas aus come and go and barely if never get sequels. The gundam franchise is also simply too complicated now so it is more profitable strength the most known timeline. Finding a gundam fan that has seen nearly all the anime is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Rowri8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:50 am Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
Finding a Gundam fan that has seen nearly all the anime is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Where I'm from (and other southeast Asian countries) We have seen every Gundam ever released and it's never complicated. It's basically our star wars and THE mainstream show. In the west, however, your statement is true
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
Rowri88 wrote:

Where I'm from (and other southeast Asian countries) We have seen every Gundam ever released and it's never complicated. It's basically our star wars and THE mainstream show. In the west, however, your statement is true

It is still relatively much more complicated than other anime franchises due to how long it has just been out, how much content is out, and unavailability of certain manga. 40 years whereas other franchises like yugioh or pokemon have been out for 20. There also isnt really a manga shortcut thst you can take unlike dbz, naruto, bleach, op. You pretty much have to see all these 50 episode aus to get the franchise, since aus are like 75%+ of the franchise. That is like 600 hours. People tend to overblow fate's complexity since anime length is a joke and there is not nearly the same amount off material.

West still has major issues with licensing and sunrise not wanting to put the entire franchise for streaming. The original msg series didn't even hit major platforms until the end of 2020. They pretty much refuse to show turn a, after war, and age. You can sometimes find f91, zz and victory free on youtube.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow that's the longest time to voice a character.
I would love to know the history behind Yoshikazu's hand in Gundam next to Tomino.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Understandable, he is getting up in age. Now Furuya's announcement is surprising though, I hate to see the worldwide shitshow when a remake of Mobile Suit Gundam appears (I prefer no remake at all because of this, the voices of both Amuro and Char are priceless and irreplaceable).
Rowri8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="SpiritSmoocher"]
Rowri88 wrote:

West still has major issues with licensing and sunrise not wanting to put the entire franchise for streaming. The original msg series didn't even hit major platforms until the end of 2020. They pretty much refuse to show turn a, after war, and age. You can sometimes find f91, zz and victory free on youtube.

ya like like I said, it's a western issue (because anime just became mainstream there unlike the rest of us), because everything you described, we don't relate to it, as we grew up with Gundam, and we never saw the franchise as overwhelming or complicated, and it's pretty straightforward to us. we feel that way with star wars though lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1