• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Publisher Seven Seas Voluntarily Recognizes UW7S Workers Union

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Good news today and great work guys.
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
This is a great start, I'm very happy for UW7S!

Most of the manga companies rely heavily on freelancers for their translation, lettering/retouch, and editing and those folks are not covered by this. An amazing letterer just this week announced that they'd moved into coding to be able to take a full-time job with a major manga company.

This industry needs to be rethought. Creative work is work and creative workers deserve stability and benefits, too.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:22 pm Reply with quote
YAAAAAAAAAY!!! Awesome news, the day before my birthday! Woohoo!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This will just make it harder to rectify their issues with translators thinking they know better than the original author.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:
This will just make it harder to rectify their issues with translators thinking they know better than the original author.

One of them seemed to imply that those "mistakes" happen because of poor wages and conditions and a higher paycheck would likely cause those to stop happening. Sounds a bit like hot air to me, but maybe worth keeping in mind for now to see if there aren't anymore cases of "accidental" censorship.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Despite the other mostly bad news this is does make me a little be less angry now. Now how about a reprint of Booty Royal Never Go Down Without A Fight Vol 3-4 Seven Seas?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:

FeelMyBlade wrote:
One of them seemed to imply that those "mistakes" happen because of poor wages and conditions and a higher paycheck would likely cause those to stop happening. Sounds a bit like hot air to me, but maybe worth keeping in mind for now to see if there aren't anymore cases of "accidental" censorship.

If you're both talking about what happened with Mushoku Tensei and Classroom of the Elite, the translator and co-translator for Mushoku Tensei came out saying they were unaware that their work was edited post-translation to remove text. You can read their comments at the bottom of another ANN article:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-02-17/seven-seas-addresses-mushoku-tensei-classroom-of-the-elite-light-novel-localization-changes/.169582

As someone who has been struggling to find where I can buy volumes 3 and 9 of the Mushoku Tensei reprint, the whole debacle is definitely frustrating, but I'm also a professional translator and there is very little we have control over after we submit our final drafts.

I'm very glad for the union and I hope it lasts. It's really hard to start and keep going, but I hear once things become organized and settled in, it gets easier.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
If you're both talking about what happened with Mushoku Tensei and Classroom of the Elite, the translator and co-translator for Mushoku Tensei came out saying they were unaware that their work was edited post-translation to remove text.

I think they're referring to the incident with I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into a Girl where the translator stood by their change along with their other industry peers until people contacted the Japanese mangaka and publisher to look into it which prompted a [url=]response from Seven Seas.
OtomeGay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote
With everything going on in the world, it's nice to hear some good news. Congrats to everyone in the union!! Very Happy
Alphonae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:50 pm Reply with quote
This is fine and all, but there's one part that concerns me.
> Staff should never be required to work on materials that make them uncomfortable.
So does that mean the end of some of the more raunchy titles from Seven Seas?
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:
This is fine and all, but there's one part that concerns me.
> Staff should never be required to work on materials that make them uncomfortable.
So does that mean the end of some of the more raunchy titles from Seven Seas?

I can't imagine there not being at least a few ecchi connoisseur guys/gals on Seven Seas staff. Of course, if Ghost Ship starts to disappear from the release schedule, then we can worry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:35 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:

This union has nothing to do with translators who are contractors, I thought. This is for the full-time staff.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:

When you care more about your overblown rage-bait than the rights of real-life workers Wink
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:43 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
If you're both talking about what happened with Mushoku Tensei and Classroom of the Elite, the translator and co-translator for Mushoku Tensei came out saying they were unaware that their work was edited post-translation to remove text.

I think they're referring to the incident with I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into a Girl where the translator stood by their change along with their other industry peers until people contacted the Japanese mangaka and publisher to look into it which prompted a [url=]response from Seven Seas.
They got harassed on the net for a mistake if that
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news. Hopefully this will help to raise standards for conditions and compensation elsewhere as well.

If it also helps to rectify some of the issues with Seven Seas' workflow I've heard about, that will probably do a lot to improve the end product and benefit readers. As an LN translator myself (although for different publishers) I've always found transparent communication with editors and colleagues essential to the accuracy and quality of a finished translation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4