• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Spring 2022, Apr 1-28

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Can't say any of this is surprising, Spy Family and Ascendance of a Bookworm are at the top and nearly so respectively and Don't Hurt Me and Little Baby Ghost are about bottom and deservedly so. Shield Hero is nose-diving but I would think it deserves higher. I don't watch the rest.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not Shield Hero's biggest fan, but can agree that the first season was serviceable. Shield Hero 2, however, has consistently bored me to tears. It's easily the worst thing I'm watching this season. I honestly don't give a damn about the Spirit Tortoise, or any plot points surrounding the Spirit Tortoise. When you're ranking below AMAIM, you know you're doing something wrong Laughing

I wish Aoashi was higher (and getting reviewed!). This show is firing on all cylinders for me, and it's hitting that sweet spot for high energy shounen sports that I associate with Ace of the Diamond Very Happy

No surprises with Spy x Family, Kaguya-sama, and Komi S2 scoring highly, I have yet to start Ya Boy Kongming!, which I hope to rectify soon
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
It honestly warms my heart to see Delicious Party Pretty Cure so high on these lists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Man, Kunoichi Tsubaki is at low as Shield Hero and thus it's the least popular of Soichiro Yamamoto's (the author of Takagi-San) manga to anime adaptation. I think I'm the only one who watches it and likes it. I wonder if people and ANN staff will like the other Yamamoto's manga to anime adaptation, "When will Ayumu Make His Move?"?
Blazi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:40 am Reply with quote
Why the hell is Tomodachi Game so low? Quite disappointing, it's an incredible series
BonelessChicken

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:51 am Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me why this site doesn't review Kingdom at all?
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:13 am Reply with quote
No real surprises with the rankings so far - with ones I didn't even bother starting already at the bottom of the pile, with the ones that didn't last (the 3 Episode drop test) just above them.

Shield Hero 2 - has been pretty dull so far, the green haired girl is annoying and the Turtle arc is boring, so I'm not surprised it's dropped so low in the rankings, I'm almost at the point of dropping it after the last Ep.

Ya Boy Kongming! - Is a whole load better than the synopsis makes out, the character chemistry just works, it should be cringe but its actually pretty entertaining.

The Executioner and Her Way of Life - hopefully after a week break will continue to subvert the isekai premise or was I the only one happy to see the self-insert male MC get killed off without a second thought in Ep.1.

Book munchkin - another solid adaptation of the very slow life of Myne.

Certainly the top 13 on the list roughly match up to the 10 shows I'm watching.

I'm hoping Skeleton Knight in Another World will finish a bit higher once people realize it's not a cheap Overlord knock-off.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
Date A Live supremacy forever!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
BonelessChicken wrote:

Because everyone bailed on it when the first season was hideous cgi, and the second only marginally better cgi, and now there are no reviewers who are up to date on it. Still, it's sad to see it has so few viewers outside Japan (so it doesn't make this list either), despite the formidable popularity of the manga.

There is a discussion thread for it however. I've been talking to myself there for a year now, so I wish you'd join me!
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
BonelessChicken wrote:

Because everyone bailed on it when the first season was hideous cgi, and the second only marginally better cgi, and now there are no reviewers who are up to date on it. Still, it's sad to see it has so few viewers outside Japan (so it doesn't make this list either), despite the formidable popularity of the manga.

There is a discussion thread for it however. I've been talking to myself there for a year now, so I wish you'd join me!

If there was enough support for it, Lynzee could find a reviewer for it. (She's done that in other cases.) There's just not enough interest around here to warrant a weekly review slot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Some surprised here and there.

Haven't watched pass episode 1 but I thought Deaimon would be higher, I though these show usually did really well with the pull the heartstrings stuff.

Similar for healer girl, figured it would do really well. Maybe its very heavy on the musical side and it turning many people off?

Don't hurt me my healer isn't amazing or anything, but its certainly not bottom of the barrel trash on the same level as platinum heart or that kind of stuff so somewhat surprised its consistently last. It would benefit from being faster in pace, but usually fast comedy do poorly so I doubt that's the case.

On the flip side, I'm surprised galactic hero is so high, iirc neither S1 or 2 did particularly well.

Wonder how well demon girl S1 would have done. I liked S1 but S2 is much better in my mind.

I note that almost all the isekai are at the bottom of the list. I wonder how much that's because of genre fatigue versus the fact that all the good isekai LN have been adapted by now and they have to go deeper and deeper in the barrel for each new show. Or maybe its because they're realize that they'll pull decent number no matter what and so are spending as little as possible on them and not using their better worker.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I also think that 'Don't Hurt Me My Healer' has been seriously underrated. Episode one was so-so but any show that makes me laugh can't be all bad.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm also surprised about Deiamon and Healer Girl. They're both excellent, and IMO Healer Girl is shaping to be the best new anime this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blazi

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I'm also surprised about Deiamon and Healer Girl. They're both excellent, and IMO Healer Girl is shaping to be the best new anime this season.
Spy x Family kinda exists this season
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Blazi wrote:
Saeryen wrote:
Spy x Family kinda exists this season

I'm not interested in that one. Also, I don't express my opinion to belittle anyone who disagrees, I'm just expressing it. I just think Healer Girl is the sort of kind and gentle show this world really needs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2