• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Star Austin St. John Charged on Suspicion of Fraud Related to COVID-19 Loans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chudmaru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:24 am Reply with quote
Wow, if I had a nickel for every time a Red Ranger was arrested I'd have two nickels.. which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:12 am Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:
Wow, if I had a nickel for every time a Red Ranger was arrested I'd have two nickels.. which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.
Charged doesn't mean someone has been arrested which there is no mention of an arrest, just charged and according to him and the sources linked and mentioned, he is innocent, or did u forget that everyone is innocent until proven guilty? Maybe he did comment fraud, maybe he didn't, why not wit till the cops do their investigation (which was mentioned they're investigating the case) and or a judge hands down the sentence b4 just assuming "oh, he's guilty" like so many sadly do...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:09 am Reply with quote
A lot of these cases have been coming up lately, it’s just that this one involves someone people know. The management of the PPP funds is its own can of worms admittedly.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
One of the other people charged was working on an NFT with a certain disgraced voice actor. What a crossover episode.

But this is very painful for me. I had a medical emergency at Power Morphicon in 2014 and he helped me. I looked past a lot of the things he’s said and the people he’s associated himself with and his participation in an Indiegogo project that scammed a bunch of fans. But according to the timeline laid out in the indictment, he got his loan two weeks before he posted a video bemoaning how businesses weren’t struggling because of the pandemic. The chutzpah. The audacity.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
Say it ain't so Jason!
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:06 am Reply with quote
I will only say one thing: innocent until proven guilty.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:33 am Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:

yeah, but at the same time, federal loan fraud is one of those crimes where there is next to zero ambiguity as to guilt. Unlike murder cases which rely on forensic science, rife with bogus junk science, a fraud case involving loans has concrete evidence, such as receipts, contracts, and invoices.

That said, prison sentence might not be so severe depending on what evidence is there and if he can pay back what he misused.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:35 am Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:

I mean, they're being charged by the US Department of Justice. When it comes to financial crimes like wire fraud, generally if they're arresting somebody there's solid evidence that they committed the crime. Typically trials after this are more about mitigating jail time or fines for the defendants, or working out deals in exchange for info on larger criminal enterprises.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:02 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

I mean, they're being charged by the US Department of Justice. When it comes to financial crimes like wire fraud, generally if they're arresting somebody there's solid evidence that they committed the crime. Typically trials after this are more about mitigating jail time or fines for the defendants, or working out deals in exchange for info on larger criminal enterprises.

Of course, and that means we should all remain neutral and objective till the whole story plays out. Then, we can form our own opinions on this matter.

chudmaru wrote:

I get that you're trying to do a shitpost but this isn't funny nor amusing, okay? This is a serious topic that should be treated seriously.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
lossthief wrote:

Of course, and that means we should all remain neutral and objective till the whole story plays out. Then, we can form our own opinions on this matter.

chudmaru wrote:

No law saying we can’t have opinions see oj or depp also I’m sorry your hero became the villain.
I get that you're trying to do a shitpost but this isn't funny nor amusing, okay? This is a serious topic that should be treated seriously.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

chudmaru wrote:

No law saying we can’t have opinions see oj or depp also I’m sorry your hero became the villain.

All I'm asking for this topic to be treated with the seriousness it deserves. This isn't a TV show nor a piece of entertainment, okay? This is real life, which means I will remain neutral and objective until the full story plays out.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Nate148 wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

chudmaru wrote:

All I'm asking for this topic to be treated with the seriousness it deserves. This isn't a TV show nor a piece of entertainment, okay? This is real life, which means I will remain neutral and objective until the full story plays out.

You don't get to tell people that they aren't treating this seriously. If someone in here has doubts over the man's innocence, its not up to you to tell them how to think.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Nate148 wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

chudmaru wrote:

You don't get to tell people that they aren't treating this seriously. If someone in here has doubts over the man's innocence, its not up to you to tell them how to think.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, obviously. I'm only asking for people to not make fun of something serious that could cause people to lose their jobs.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, obviously. I'm only asking for people to not make fun of something serious that could cause people to lose their jobs.

Are you Austin St. John...?
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

Are you Austin St. John...?

Obviously not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2