• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former Crunchyroll Executive Sae Whan Song Joins Viz Media

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Song previously worked in licensing at Toei Animation from 2006 to 2014, before moving to Crunchyroll.

Small correction but he used to work at Toei's American office, Toei Animation Inc, according to his Linkedin. It's a common mistake since other companies have done this too in the past, including Viz themselves, while others like Funimation (see Dragon Ball Super & recent One Piece) used their full name when crediting the same people from there.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this will help Viz put out some more anime releases stateside again. They're doing fine on the manga side, but they hardly put out any new anime series anymore. Basically just ongoing shonen and those same series as re-releases. I'd like to see them try and put out a bit more and Song's background looks promising on that front.

(You could also finally put out the rest of Monster, right? Right? T-T)
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Maybe this will help Viz put out some more anime releases stateside again. They're doing fine on the manga side, but they hardly put out any new anime series anymore. Basically just ongoing shonen and those same series as re-releases. I'd like to see them try and put out a bit more and Song's background looks promising on that front.

(You could also finally put out the rest of Monster, right? Right? T-T)

Viz hasn't had the rights to Monster in a long time, so any hope of that getting a new release is gonna come down to a license rescue (though last time anyone in the industry had mentioned it, the rights got tangled up in that defunct live-action adaption by Del Toro so who knows if it'll ever happen)

This is pretty interesting news though. Glad it seems like Viz isn't quite ready to pull out of the anime game, and given that Crunchy could always use more competition, it'd be nice if Viz got a little more agressive on that front.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I know, I know... but I can wistfully hope.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:32 am Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see how many other Crunchyroll and Funimation executives end up in other companies in the industry.
merr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:43 am Reply with quote
I feel like they announce some new shake up with their animation division every couple years, but nothing ever comes of it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:11 am Reply with quote
I hope this means Viz will step up their game and license more titles than just their on-going ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1