• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Suzume Anime Film Crosses ₹10 Crore at Indian Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacedin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Box Office Mojo has degraded from the outstanding resource that it was in its heyday to increasingly unreliable after Amazon bought it. Now that Amazon is a major entertainment studio - even more so since they bought MGM - it makes their shoddy stewardship almost a conflict of interest issue. In clear contrast to Rotten Tomatoes, who - despite real concerns from its fans that it would happen - has actually significantly improved in many areas over the years despite being owned by Fandango.

I noted that the Hollywood industry blog quit relying on Box Office Mojo data and started using info from The Numbers awhile ago. Even though The Numbers hasn't updated their website design in ages - it still has the early 2000s look - and it doesn't have the depth or breadth of information or the analytics that Box Office Mojo used to have before Amazon paywalled the most useful information, the data is still far more timely.

And it includes this: Suzume has not grossed merely $174 million. Instead, it has grossed $320 million, or only $29 million less than Your Name:
https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Suzume-no-tojimari-(2022-Japan)#tab=summary

Your Name was much bigger in Japan, $225 million to $110 million. However, Suzume did $60 million better in China and South Korea, plus $20 million more in the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong. So where Your Name was mostly a Japanese hit, Suzume is more of a pan East Asian hit. And while inflation "is a thing", it still means that Shinkai has 2 films on the top 100 list for animated features (the Numbers stupidly cows to Disney and doesn't have The Lion King remake on here): https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/worldwide/all-movies/cumulative/all-time-animated
Scott Mendelson, a former prominent critic but still a very influential movie analyst, states that it makes him one of the most successful animation directors in the world.

I don't know why Box Office Mojo wants people to believe that Suzume did worse than Weathering With You - not that $193 million against a production budget of $12 million for Weathering is bad in any sense! - instead of better than The Lego Batman Movie and a bunch of other major western animated features (Encanto, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 1 & 2, The Lego Batman Movie, The Bad Guys, The Peanuts Movie, Smallfoot, Turbo, The Princess and the Frog, Planes, Lightyear) but I would certainly feel "better" about their significantly under-reporting Suzume's grosses for months if they weren't owned by a company with a competing streaming service and studio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1