• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Next manga to appear in the US shonen jump is......

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GODHAND

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru No Go thats right its starts in jan 2004. and what about Cartoon networks wandering samurai ??? well im glad to anounce that its will be released in graphic novels starting in november.
Magatsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I am dissapointed with Hikaru No Go only being able to appear in Shonen Jump as I have to wait quite a while for the trade but I am very much happy about Rurouni Kenshin.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:50 pm Reply with quote
well more of a reason to renew my subscription when its due.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:30 am Reply with quote
GODHAND wrote:
Hikaru No Go thats right its starts in jan 2004. and what about Cartoon networks wandering samurai ??? well im glad to anounce that its will be released in graphic novels starting in november.

Heh. My friend will be a little annoyed. He hates Shonen Jump, seeing it as Dragonball Z, and a bunch of manga that want to be Dragonball Z.

He's got a bit of a point, since every manga in the book that isn't yet "fight of the month" will eventually turn into that.

Hikaru no Go could give Shonen Jump a little more legitimacy, in my book.

------RM
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:58 am Reply with quote
Most importantly, Hikaru no Go will gain some very good exposure by being in Shonen Jump. Let's face it, a manga about Go isn't exactly a sure sell. I know *I* raised an eyebrow or two when I heard about it. So people will buy the magazine for DBZ, as usual, and then they'll probably read HnG because "why not, it's already in there", and they'll wind up discovering a great manga that they would never have given a second glance otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:05 am Reply with quote
Though a negative outcome is Hikaru No Go might unfairly be called a Yu Gi Oh rip-off and be dismissed by readers. Personally, I'd like more romantic comedy(I's anyone?) manga in Jump myself. And maybe once they finish DBZ or YYH, they'll consider Jojo.
Kagato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I just subscribed to shonen jump,and am glad they are getting a new title,presumably because of the ending of sandland.Unfortunately there are not enough pages in Shonen jump for the good manga.Hopefully DBZ will finish sometime within 3 years.Strangely,though the Yu-gi-oh manga is not bad so far.Still waiting for more one piece,though.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:55 pm Reply with quote
One Piece is my favorite Manga... I have half the series fansubbed and am very pissed off funimation got it (any other company would have been fine).... I have seen all of Shaman King fansubbed and am waiting to see what 4kids does to it (that will be frightening... but possably entertaining as watching the Sailor Moon S dub after having seen the whole series fansubbed... Now if only Pioneer could release a box set because my fansubs suck and I really Like Pioneers translation in volume 1). I am wondering if Shaman Kings Manga goes longer than the anime (It seemed like there was more to the story) and it will now take me 3 years to find out)

I really wish One Piece wasn't in jump... My addiction is just too strong for 10 pages a month (and for those of you who haven't seen any of the anime I will tell you this much.... It is the same yet diffrent. They expand on some things that happen in the manga. Sometimes you get to see what other characters are doing off to the side of the main plot and so forth.... It is really excellent)
monkeyDluffy4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:42 am Reply with quote
I agree! One Piece is the best! I have up to episode 79 subbed and it is awesome! i hope that they start relesing the manga (tankoubon) faster than it is appearing in Shonen Jump, because the subtitles on my DVD's suck. Sanji is called Sunkist...

BTW Hikaru no Go tankoubon are going to be released in Novmber alongside the Kenshin ones. Yay! can't wait!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:20 pm Reply with quote
If they "expand" on One Piece, that probably means filler.
monkeyDluffy4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It is mostly filler, but it's very entertaining to watch what happens to Koby and Helmeppo months after Luffy left Naval-Base Town. one piece has had the most entertaining filler. It actually relates to the story.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:55 am Reply with quote
yeah in the first episode they cut straight to that fat lady Pirate.... While Luffy deals with her you get to see what Nami was doing at the time (in the comic she wasn't introduced yet)

They remix a few things... (Luffys past is introduced in episode 5 or 6 where they inserted his flashback instead of Zorros... Then They do Zorro's later)

The thing is it is still pretty much 100 percent true to the manga without being a carbon copy of the manga.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:02 am Reply with quote
I think the previous posts comments were GENIUS if I do say so myself....

tut-tut

hush-hush....

/me smokes pipe
BrianC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Why does everyone complain about Funimation? I heard that they treat most of their non Dragon Ball Z/GT stuff great and DBZ and GT have the subtitles. I like what I have read of One Piece so far. It's great fun.
android00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Yay!!!! Rurouni Kenshin? I love Himura Kenshin! He is super cool!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2