• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Japanese Film and Anime Company To Be Established

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. I wonder if this means more collaboration projects. Could we possibly see a 'Maximum Ride' anime? Be interesting to see how this works out.
chubbyd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Why would you want to work with, and get ideas from HOLLYWOOD?

That's like asking a 3rd world orphan if he or she knows any good places to eat.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It sounds to me like the collaboration is on the production side of things. Hollywood knows how to produce a film better than anywhere else, so that could be good. However, if we're actually talking about letting Hollywood inform the storytelling process, then we're in deep doo-doo.
superspecial

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I understand that Hollywood isn't exactly admired or anything but IMO it might help bring more exposure to more people and help profit by appealing to a western demographic, as well as providing people in the USA the opportunity to enter the industry. Who knows how this will work out though. Question

Last edited by superspecial on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
chubbyd wrote:

That's like asking a 3rd world orphan if he or she knows any good places to eat.

Actually, considering the moe-fest that is the contemporary anime industry, I think introducing some pressures from more mainstream international audiences can only improve the scene.

And if this means more anime in actual American movie theaters, I'm all for that. What we need are some real gateway drug titles, stuff that non-anime-fan, western adults can enjoy and get into. Stuff like Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, etc.

Speaking of which, why the hell isn't Redline over here yet?
stararnold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
This is interesting. I wonder if this means more collaboration projects. Could we possibly see a 'Maximum Ride' anime? Be interesting to see how this works out.

I feel the same way, Chrono2. Speaking of collaborations, this may be a chance for U.S. and Japan to work closely together on anime/manga-based films (counting live-action and aniamted) intended to appeal to both Japanese and American entertainment tastes at the same time while preserving the spirit of the adapted /remade works themselves since the anime/manga-based films the U.S. made so far mainly target westerners.

I like the idea.
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This seems like something that could wield some interesting results. maybe now a series like PSYREN can finnaly get an anime adaption seeing as its the most interesting series i've seen come from jump in the last few years and it might also be more marketable outside japan seeing as it can easily changed to fit whatever market and still come out relatively unscathed. and perhaps if this ends up working out we shall see less pedo-bait bullcrap out of japan Rolling Eyes
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
icomeanon4 wrote:
Actually, considering the moe-fest that is the contemporary anime industry, I think introducing some pressures from more mainstream international audiences can only improve the scene.

Oh look, another baseless moe bashing statement despite most anime not being moe and making your statement entirely false Rolling Eyes His point still stands unless you can come up with an actual argument.

Quote:
And if this means more anime in actual American movie theaters, I'm all for that. What we need are some real gateway drug titles, stuff that non-anime-fan, western adults can enjoy and get into. Stuff like Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, etc.

You can't change the American market of animation just being for kids with a few titles. And in all honestly if they need to go to that lengths to find one series to enjoy, they're not going to stick around long anyway. Focusing on them is pointless.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I'm all for getting more animated movies in theaters, and a lot of anime with hollywood-esque themes (see: large explosions and TONS of action and awesome) are usually the types of shows I go for.

If Hollywood doesn't try to dictate the way a show is written, and instead just helps with suggestions and the like, this should be really cool.

So hey, I'm totally game.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
New Japanese Film and Anime Company To Be Established wrote:
In particular, Japan's Economy, Trade and Industry Ministry claims the prices of films and anime are often "beaten down," reducing their profit to Japanese businesses and creators.

So Japan thinks by marketing anime through Hollywood, Japan will be able to charge Americans more for it.

I'm skeptical. I think Hollywood already went through that lesson 25 years ago with domestic entertainment and came to a different conclusion.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Oh look, another baseless moe bashing statement despite most anime not being moe and making your statement entirely false Rolling Eyes His point still stands unless you can come up with an actual argument.

Oh, and his "point" that everything that comes out of Hollywood is stupid is somehow more valid than my own obviously hyperbolic statement? Please. And my statement is not "entirely" false, it's just exaggerated to match the exaggeration of the person I was addressing. Moe is far more prevalent today than it was in previous decades, so I'd say I'm at least two-thirds right.

TitanXL wrote:
You can't change the American market of animation just being for kids with a few titles. And in all honestly if they need to go to that lengths to find one series to enjoy, they're not going to stick around long anyway. Focusing on them is pointless.

Seriously? Those titles I mentioned--especially Akira--all brought in huge swaths of anime fans who stuck around. They're a huge part of the reason why there's such a healthy (compared to the 80's) non-children's anime market in America right now. I know people (myself included) who were at one time totally disinterested in anime, but after watching a few really good, more mainstream titles warmed up to the rest of it. I think Princess Tutu is a marvelous work both as deconstruction and in its own right, and I wouldn't have gotten there if it weren't for titles like Cowboy Bebop making me see that anime isn't just stupid and pervy. I don't think the anime industry focusing on people like me is "pointless." Individual titles CAN and DO change markets and mentalities.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
You know what? I'm totally game as well. I think this could be a good opportunity for both sides. Now, there's always the possibility of this being a flop, but I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic about it.

I'm looking forward to this! Yay! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, Hollywood is the best film seller in the world. They make more money than rest of the world combined when it comes to films. Hollywood rakes billions from foreign markets. Other countries? What billions?

It seem like Japan is "kissing up" to Hollywood, but we all know that their domestic side has been unkind to the animation industry. Right now, Japan is starting to compete with South Korea and China in terms of 2D animation market. Koreans and Chinese are pretty much saying, "we can make complete Japanese-style cartoons for cheap". It's unlikely that Japanese, who are master of their craft, will stand by idly.
I'm not saying that Koreans and Chinese are totally bad or anything, but nobody likes it when someone uses his or her idea and make better profit.

I don't see Japan teaming up with Hollywood means death to authentic Anime as we know it. Although they're small compared to Hollywood juggernauts, Japan has been making influential works which can't be ignored easily. It's just that Japanese has been doing terrible business with their animations and films for decades and they're paying price for their complacency. At least, Japanese are taking an initiative to take charge instead of taking punches left and right.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
chubbyd wrote:

Yeah, because the anime industry is the pinnacle of innovation and originality. Rolling Eyes
chubbyd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
chubbyd wrote:

Yeah, because the anime industry is the pinnacle of innovation and originality. Rolling Eyes

Oh, I never said anime was the pinnacle of innovation and originality. I was simply saying that Hollywood is bloated, creatively bankrupt, and can't be much good for anime fans of the past and present.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3