• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More on YTV's Anime Channel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flawful

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
is there anyone else but me who can't stand english dubbing? it's awesome they're gonna have an anime channel, but i prolly won't watch it if there's no subtitled shows, i find that anime gets hacked up pretty bad in english and i really can't stand it anymore, japanese seiyuu are much more talented
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I've heard some voice actors from Japan that couldn't act to save their lives and I have heard Enlgish actors who also can't act. Their talent level is the same. The reason why they sound better is because perhaps you've seen the Japanese version first and when hearing the English version it sounds different. Japanese and English are different languages with different sounds. A lot of English dubbed versions use voice actors who have similar voices to the Japanese. The reason why they don't sound identical is because the Japanese place their tongues in different places than Anglophones do, which creates a different sound. I know when I see anime from Japanese to English it sounds different, but after awhile I notice that most of the voices don't sound that much different from the Japanese. There are some that sound completely different, but companies try to use an actor who has the same voice only in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1