• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basilisk (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote

Basilisk (TV)

Genres: action, drama, romance, supernatural
Themes: historical, ninja, revenge, star-crossed love, tragedy

Plot Summary: The year is 1614 AD. Two warring ninja clans, each supporting a son of Hidetada Tokugawa as the next shogun, send ten representatives each to fight to the death for the possession of a scroll. The prize: the annihilation of the other and the staunch support of the Tokugawa government for the winning clan for the next thousand years.
----------------------------------

I have a bad habit of posting late at night. Anyway, this past weekend I was browsing through a local Best Buy, and they had a free FUNimation DVD sampler. I snagged it because one of the episodes was, as you probably guessed, Basilisk. I gotta say the show started off with an impressive bang. The first fight was incredible as I wasn't expecting that level of quality in animation. To me it was also a throwback to Ninja Scroll which is a huge plus in my book. Also I love the opening (usually what hooks me into a show, almost like a sixth sense). Now here's why I'm hesitating. Now I'm not sure if this is because of the show itself or because of the dub, but the romance angle fell flat. I think it's because the VA playing Danjo had no emotion when he spoke. So at some point I think I need to give the Japanese track a shot. Based on how the episode ended, it also seems that the whole story has already been laid out (in terms of what everything will lead up to and how it will end). If that's the case then I find that to be disappointing. However it seems there's enough to keep me hooked in. Just curious from those who have or are watching it what they think of it and if I should lay my gripes to rest. Oh, and Hattori Hanzo looks like a total badass in this show.
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
The show like the manga, is very good. If you like Ninja cool abilities and hot chicks then it is for you!
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
one thing that I'm starting to not like about it (having seen the full first volume) is that it seems like its becoming a pretty one-sided showdown. By the end of episode 4 spoiler[4 of the supposedly 10 ninjas from one side are dead (including that old lady) while the other side has only lost one (the old man). ] Could someone clarify if it stays like this or not? Because there are about 24 episodes, yet if it contnues at this rate, one side is going to be wiped out before the half-way mark. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong, because I see a hell of a lot of potential to this series. Then again, it may go beyond just the showdown between the 2 clans, like how Samurai 7 (another Gonzo peice) went beyond the battle of Kana village.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
I have a bad habit of posting late at night. Anyway, this past weekend I was browsing through a local Best Buy, and they had a free FUNimation DVD sampler. I snagged it because one of the episodes was, as you probably guessed, Basilisk.

I picked up volume one because of the extremely sweet looking box....anywho at least the first volume didn't disappoint. The series is much like a Romeo and Juliette with Ninja....lots of action lots of babes.. So far so good, I was hoping to get volume 2 today at best buy but it wasn't there so.....sometime in the future I am going to get it I hope. Otherwise I would say try to get the first volume and see if you like it. Best buy had it for 19.99 at my local store, so give whem a call if your interested.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
beast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174, the romance does fall flat.

TranceLimit174 wrote:
Based on how the episode ended, it also seems that the whole story has already been laid out (in terms of what everything will lead up to and how it will end).

That's also very true. The show is predictable and drawn-out.

the Rancorous wrote:
one thing that I'm starting to not like about it (having seen the full first volume) is that it seems like its becoming a pretty one-sided showdown. By the end of episode 4 spoiler[4 of the supposedly 10 ninjas from one side are dead (including that old lady) while the other side has only lost one (the old man). ] Could someone clarify if it stays like this or not?

It doesn't stay that way. The sides are pretty balanced, as a matter of fact, too predictably balanced, as you will see.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
one thing that I'm starting to not like about it (having seen the full first volume) is that it seems like its becoming a pretty one-sided showdown. By the end of episode 4 spoiler[4 of the supposedly 10 ninjas from one side are dead (including that old lady) while the other side has only lost one (the old man). ] Could someone clarify if it stays like this or not? Because there are about 24 episodes, yet if it contnues at this rate, one side is going to be wiped out before the half-way mark. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong, because I see a hell of a lot of potential to this series. Then again, it may go beyond just the showdown between the 2 clans, like how Samurai 7 (another Gonzo peice) went beyond the battle of Kana village.

Without spoiling anything... no, it doesn't say completely one-sided the entire time, and although it does feel like they have a big advantage at this point in time, you'll see in a few episodes that Gennosuke truly is not to be underestimated. He is indeed as strong, or stronger, than they make him out to be in the beginning; and it is arguable whether or not their entire clan versus him in an all out battle is a fair match for the clan.

I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable action series, but fell very very short on the romance and realism aspects; the tactics the shinobi emply by the end of the show border on ridiculousness, so just don't go to the show looking for any war strategies Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
To me it was also a throwback to Ninja Scroll which is a huge plus in my book.

In that case I'd say yes, get it. My view of the series (admittedly I only saw to half-way) was that it was just like Ninja Scroll done better. Not an especially original story, but perfectly solid and entertaining in it's own way with fun ninja fights. Ridiculous fights, true, but fun.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
ok, now I must know this based on those 2 replies.
Does it become one clan against the the one bad-ass/unstoppable character? If so, then i may stop collecting it, since that style of story/character writing worked for a 1 & 1/2 hour movie (ninja scroll) but I don't see it working for a 24-26 episode series.
mjgeo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:26 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
ok, now I must know this based on those 2 replies.
Does it become one clan against the the one bad-ass/unstoppable character? If so, then i may stop collecting it, since that style of story/character writing worked for a 1 & 1/2 hour movie (ninja scroll) but I don't see it working for a 24-26 episode series.

That was my conclusion after watching the series. I found it quite similar to Ninja Scroll, with the only difference being that this one goes for 24 eps and that is far too long.

The romance and character building was below par. If you like action though, it was alright. By the end of it I was hardly watching the screen as the episodes played on.

My recommendation: Watch Shinobi instead. Based on the same story, just a hell of a lot quicker.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
If you like Ninja Scroll, you'll like this anime. I've only seen the first 8 episodes. Kicks in to the plot real fast and the action and blood is intense. Especially the girl who uses a blood like miasma to fight. The only thing I would say that's wrong with Basalisk, is that the story has to many complications, twists, and turns. The love story sucks too. Regardless, if you like action, blood, and violence, then you should keep watching it.

Last edited by ShinobiX on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
spoiler[The love story sucks too. It's like a Japanese version of Romeo and Juliet.]

Eheh, spoiler tags dude. I didn't know how it ended Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:
spoiler[The love story sucks too. It's like a Japanese version of Romeo and Juliet.]

Eheh, spoiler tags dude. I didn't know how it ended Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

That's not how it ends. I've only seen up to episode 8 and that's what I think the story is like so far. I'll edit my post though.
mjgeo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:44 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:
ShinobiX wrote:

That's not how it ends. I've only seen up to episode 8 and that's what I think the story is like so far. I'll edit my post though.

Treat the spoiler[Romeo and Juliet] to mean the context of the story, and not the ending.

spoiler[A man and women from opposing clans fall in love. The clans fight and they have to choose between love and loyalty.]
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:

Ah, sorry. Guess I read into that too much then - it just seemed like you were saying how it ended.
Borgir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
i suggest you all keep watching, it makes some interesting turns. Also, this is an well-know story based upon medieval japan (google it xP) so you all should know the outcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4