• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Colony Drop Saves Anime Publishing with The Last American Fanzine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdeformed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Print media? What a novel idea. ANN should look into that..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Is this news? Interest? Maybe a sticky?
Let me know when the honeymoon is over.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Is this news? Interest? Maybe a sticky?

Press release. Well, technically this is a talkback thread created in response to a press release.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
uh wow okay, does anyone really think cute press releases like this impress anyone?
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
Nice.
I will get this.

And It is obviously noteworthy that someone makes an anime fanzine -
especially on ANN.
Or should they be more selective about their anime related news?
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Hmmm so this contains:
1.A hate letter to a 20-year old anime video game.
2.An article about the most hated man in anime
3.A brief history of anime fandom in the U.K. A short novella that might result in a lawsuit from AnimEigo.

This sounds like good content for me Anime hyper
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
Fanzine? what is this 1989
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Regarding ANN including press releases in its News section without any attempt to actually make a story out of it, well that annoy me. A company like a licensor or whatever will almost always produce a press release that is favourably slanted towards itself, and don't tell me that no exaggeration goes on.

I currently work for a company which, when responding to new enquiries, always puts out this big spiel about how we (the company) are the best in New Zealand in what we do. That everything we sell is the best of its type in the entire country. Now, we're pretty darn good, but does anyone know for certain that we sell the absolute indisputably best products and services in our industry when we exist in a first-world nation of four million people? It would be foolhardy to think that, and yet that's pretty much what we come outright and say to potential clients in all of our E-mails.

The point of the above paragraph, in case it wasn't obvious, is to highlight how companies are self-serving. You cannot take what they say about themselves at face value. And copy-pasting a press release does not meet my definition of providing "news". Say a company announces a new acquisition. Instead of showing us the press release - which usually doubles as a general advertising piece - why not write a short article written in a neutral tone? You can (and should) link to the press release, maybe even quote it, but not treat it as gospel. Anyone can aggregate the news; journalism is more than that.

I get that ANN is usually fine in the way it styles its articles, which makes me all the more puzzled why sometimes press releases are just included in full and with no commentary done on them. 'Tis most puzzling. Did any money change hands to get this press release in the ANN News section?
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
This is such a cute idea! I miss printed anime magazines.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ANN has always posted press releases from various sources in it's PR section.

We do this for three reasons:

1) It gives companies a chance to have their story read when ANN decides not to cover it;
2) Likewise, it gives readers the chance to read things we decide not to update;
3) It gives readers a chance to see the original press release even when we cover something.

We may chose not to cover a PR with a full news article for one of two reasons. Either it's not interesting, or there's other more important news that day and we don't have time to cover everything that we'd like to.

Putting a press release on ANN is free.

We've had the PR section, with the same policy, for 8.5 years. Nothing has changed. It is a separate and distinct section from the news articles, I'm not certain why dtm42 is confused.

Press Releases
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Will this also contain an article on M.D. Geist?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

We've had the PR section, with the same policy, for 8.5 years. Nothing has changed. It is a separate and distinct section from the news articles, I'm not certain why dtm42 is confused.

Press Releases

Probably because a lot of people don't even notice press releases unless a talkback thread for them is made, and talkback thread titles for press releases don't start with "PRESS RELEASE:" the way titles for other talkback threads start with things like "REVIEW:" or "NEWS:"

I remember getting confused myself once when someone made a talkback thread for a hentai related press release. I realized something was off when I saw the... "creative" descriptions in the article, though, and then noticed it said it was a press release at the bottom.

EDIT: Also, news and interest items are always identified as such at the top of the articles themselves, but press releases aren't. Not a major thing, but something you may want to change sometime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist pretty much explains how I got confused by it. I find most of my news by way of the Talkback sub-forum, and not the news feed or even the main page.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
The last major N. American anime print fanzine is "The Rose" I think. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1