• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood western premiere, Madman streaming series online.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote
Now this is the sort of thing they need more and more of if they're serious about stopping fansubs. Well done, Madman.
ShinoMatrix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Yep, this was pretty exciting news indeed... I didn't quite see this coming though.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I think i'm more excited in the fact that this finally kicks off Madman's anime streaming service, something that should have been running last year...

I'm certainly sticking around sunday to see how they do this though
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Now this is the sort of thing they need more and more of if they're serious about stopping fansubs. Well done, Madman.

I'll admit, this is the first time I can recall a non-US company taking this sort of initiative. What currently exists isn't sufficient, but perhaps this signals a significant change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

I'll admit, this is the first time I can recall a non-US company taking this sort of initiative. What currently exists isn't sufficient, but perhaps this signals a significant change.

This is something the industry could have been doing years ago, but the Japanese companies are so adamant about protecting their domestic DVD market as well as the money they make off R1 licences that they've taken this long to actually concede that Digital Distribution has market potential.

While this is a good start, there needs to be more. Especially as far as series which have little to no chance of getting licensed outside of Japan go.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
While this is a good start, there needs to be more. Especially as far as series which have little to no chance of getting licensed outside of Japan go.

With hope this should show Japanese companies there is foreign interest outside R1. If fansubs are a global thing, their solution should be as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I hope, as next step, that the Japanese animation companies start putting English subtitles in their DVDs...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
I hope, as next step, that the Japanese animation companies start putting English subtitles in their DVDs...

While they do occasionally do it for a movie (like the Fullmetal Alchemist movie), I reckon the likelihood of it happening on any kind of scale is about as probable as Japanese anime DVDs having a cost-per-episode even approaching that of non-Japanese anime DVDs.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
But since they are starting to legally stream TV series with English subtitles more and more, that could change in a near future, couldn't it? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Point 1: We're Australia. We're a curiosity market, so the likelyhood of Japan selling direct to us is... well almost nil. Almost everything we get is parsed through a US company first (ALMOST! there's a couple of sterling examples of madman leading the way)

Point 2: Online services, CrunchyRoll's success proves there is a market, the problem is making money off it. How many of you currently purchase titles from itunes, or pay for digital downloads?
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Point 1: We're Australia. We're a curiosity market, so the likelyhood of Japan selling direct to us is... well almost nil. Almost everything we get is parsed through a US company first (ALMOST! there's a couple of sterling examples of madman leading the way)

Point 2: Online services, CrunchyRoll's success proves there is a market, the problem is making money off it. How many of you currently purchase titles from itunes, or pay for digital downloads?

I can understand perfectly where people would be hesitant about releasing something for free. But hopefully FMA:B stats will be good enough.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
[quote="sonictail"]Point 1: We're Australia. We're a curiosity market, so the likelyhood of Japan selling direct to us is... well almost nil. Almost everything we get is parsed through a US company first (ALMOST! there's a couple of sterling examples of madman leading the way)
Quote:

And these sterling examples would be... FMA:Brotherhood and... ? (Voltron and Mysterious Cities of Gold come to mind [although the latter was out in the UK first], since we beat the US out with both these series)

[quote="sonictail"]Point 2: Online services, CrunchyRoll's success proves there is a market, the problem is making money off it. How many of you currently purchase titles from itunes, or pay for digital downloads?

Currently? I still buy all my music on CD (I would not touch iTunes before the recent removal of DRM from their downloads, and as yet I have yet to see anything that interests me in adding to my music collection aside from CDs which I import from Japan), but there are currently no digital downloads available to me that I'm interested in, i.e. there are no download-to-own anime episodes available.

The big problem with making money off the digital distribution of anime now is that for years the industry's done nothing about stopping fansub distribution and now the culture where it's considered an entitlement to watch anime for free has spread ridiculously wide. You didn't need Crunchyroll to prove that there's a market for near-to-air anime digital access, you just needed to look at how many different series have been watched (the majority of which have never ended up licensed in the US and subsequently, Australia) through fansubs, how many series have followings outside of Japan in places where they are inaccessible through legal means aside from forking out ridiculous amounts of money for unsubtitled, Japanese DVDs.

There is already discussion regarding scads of series for the new season in Japan - you just have to look at the ANN Preview Guide currently being updated on the US site to see that. And while it's good to see more and more of these series appearing streamed near-to-air like FMA at Madman and Funi, and several other series (such as Saki, Shangri-la, Natsuo no Arashi, Hayate, and Naruto Shippuden) now getting simulcast to paying members, they still need to offer more and more series this way. They need to take away all the justification for fansubs by offering a legitimate product in their place. If they don't do that, then fansubs are going to continue as long as the anime industry does.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
Point 1: We're Australia. We're a curiosity market, so the likelyhood of Japan selling direct to us is... well almost nil. Almost everything we get is parsed through a US company first

I feel your pain. Gong have been willing to use CR to dabble their toes in curiosity markets though.

Quote:

I'm willing to pay for a tangible product. Otherwise I'm happy to be advertised to. If global streaming can be funded by localised advertisements, then it stands as a viable path to follow.
As we are all here aware though, truly global streaming -the sort which would diminish the desire for fansubs- isn't going to be the case for some time.
あのなんですか?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
sounds like once our internet gets fast enough, this will wipe out the market of buying Anime on DVD or blue ray for that matter...

is this what others are thinking?
madmangohan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
Not for a long while off. Mp3's and Itunes have yet to kill the CD, so why should streaming and downloading kill the dvd/blu-ray anytime soon? People still love having a physical item to have a hold off, and I don't see that changing for a very long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1