• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Figma Dorothy R. Wayneright

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
How funny that Big O is experiencing a revival right now, I'd just gotten the hankering to rewatch it too! I might try to get my hands on one of these, Dorothy was always my favorite character... Anime catgrin
kinbalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
But did you also see a toy car also comes out of its foot? ...That's some dedication to getting it right.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Buy Dorothy, paint her hair white, and you've got your first Tiger & Bunny figurine!

(For those who haven't seen episode 15 yet, there's a definite shout-out to Dorothy in it, as the two shows share a designer)
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Same voice actress as Dorothy as well in that episode of T&B.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
Big O revival? Am I allowed to fantasize about the planned third series getting made? I'd love that just because it would make Big O the luckiest series ever, leaping out of death's grip twice.

Quote:
The most serious of Dorothy fans will be excited to see her bloomers. Just saying.

She wears bloomers? I don't recall the show ever seeing fit to flip up her skirt.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She's just a little moe.

You're a louse, David Cabrera. Razz
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
Got her for about 35 bucks at AmiAmi shipped SAL for my dad for his birthday. First figma I've ever bought. I agree that she doesn't have much going for her, but if you love the character like my Dad and I do, she's a must have.

I'd love to get my hands on the rest of the stuff coming out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't Dorothy be more pale?
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Buy Dorothy, paint her hair white, and you've got your first Tiger & Bunny figurine!

I'm going to take a minute to express to you guys just how sold out every Tiger and Bunny action figure is. So sold out! Don't worry though, the T&B Figuarts stuff is on the calendar for the column (we've got the next three items bought, T&B isn't in there yet). It's just a matter of being able to get them, which I think won't happen until well after the initial release.

Quote:
You're a louse, David Cabrera.

I knew someone would say this, and I'm so glad that they did.

Quote:
She wears bloomers?

And I knew this would be important to somebody too! I suppose only the character designer knew prior to this.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Now I know what to buy before the end of this year.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Figma Roger Smith was a event-only exclusive: a month or so ago overseas buyers could grab it via Good Smile for about $70, but that window (along with the chance to own, for example, a life-size Kyubey) has passed. He's got a briefcase! And sunglasses! And the watch! Why on earth this is the figure Max Factory decided to make impossible to get I have no idea.

The theory is that Roger was intended for retail release, but Dorothy didn't do so well. MF would have figured that if the top female/otaku bait in the series can't sell then certainly the main male character doesn't stand a chance at retail so they scrapped their plans and made him an exclusive rather than leave him unreleased during their revival. That does make sense, especially since this is the first year they've done two Wonderfest exclusive figma for the same convention and Aigis is much more exclusive worthy.

I've got Dorothy (from AmiAmi) and order Roger Smith from GSC so I guess I'm a little committed. Got Aigis, too, always have room for more robot girls.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

(For those who haven't seen episode 15 yet, there's a definite shout-out to Dorothy in it, as the two shows share a designer)

Watched that one quite a few Sundays ago back in July. I just thought about that. =D
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, the ruffles at Dorothy's wrists are poorly painted, uneven splotches. Lately we've been seeing these kinds of fine detail problems in Figmas, and it's starting to look like the norm for the line. Not a good sign.

It's definitely not good for a company that makes figures to have consistent shortcomings. I know that brand recognition is important to me since I can't actually see the figures I look at in person, and pictures are always taken in the most flattering manner. So, if I find out that certain brands only look good at a distance, I'd avoid them. It's the same with most mass produced items, really.

Seeing that Big O has had a small revival, I have to wonder how much goes into deciding if something is worth the effort. For example, s-cry-ed had a 10 year anniversary project, and pretty much everyone's reaction to it was, "Really?"
unready

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
It may be just a nit, but ... her name is "R. Dorothy Wayneright," not "Dorothy R. Wayneright."

I got a kick out of seeing her name in the opening titles long ago the very first time I watched The Big O, because it follows the convention of "R. Daneel Olivaw" from The Caves of Steel. It was a little amusing to know that someone on the production team learned how to name a robot from reading classic SF. You just have to know it, because I don't believe it's explained in the series itself.

Anyway, I followed the links to the retailers in the article. Two of them called her "R. Dorothy Wayneright" and one of them just called her "Dorothy Wayneright," so I'm not sure how the R got stuck in the middle for the article.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
It may be just a nit, but ... her name is "R. Dorothy Wayneright," not "Dorothy R. Wayneright."

I got a kick out of seeing her name in the opening titles long ago the very first time I watched The Big O, because it follows the convention of "R. Daneel Olivaw" from The Caves of Steel. It was a little amusing to know that someone on the production team learned how to name a robot from reading classic SF. You just have to know it, because I don't believe it's explained in the series itself.

Anyway, I followed the links to the retailers in the article. Two of them called her "R. Dorothy Wayneright" and one of them just called her "Dorothy Wayneright," so I'm not sure how the R got stuck in the middle for the article.

Yeah, that was my own head mixing it up. I have no idea how I didn't catch it: it's right there on the box, jeez me get it together
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2