• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beijing Bans Horror Stories Based on Death Note

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote
Are the "local" versions of Death Note even legal?
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote
ROFL @ Beijing's paranoid banning.

And here in Singapore, there are notebooks that look EXACTLY like the DN, with the 'Death Note' logo on it together with the instructions, only for $9.90 Anime smile

I seriously think they're overdoing it, I mean, they could just educate and inform the kids not to do such things.
lledra

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
ya know , personally in the whole , grand scheme of things. I don't see this as being THAT bad..

there's a LOT worse things that can be imitated and acted out by children. but writing down somebodies name in a note book? ... I ... don't see that as ... destressing.

Heck it's the "happier" animes, Naruto, DBZ, >_> sorry can't think, but stuff like That, that the kids imitate are the things that get kids hurting each other...

So I do indeed laugh at Beijing ... where ... this is just .... odd.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
lledra wrote:
ya know , personally in the whole , grand scheme of things. I don't see this as being THAT bad..

there's a LOT worse things that can be imitated and acted out by children. but writing down somebodies name in a note book? ... I ... don't see that as ... destressing.

I think the Shenyang authorities were more concerned that the kids were writing teachers' and students' names, pretty akin to a child's threat "I'm going to kill you." In the States at least, one can get suspended for such a remark. Those kids are probably just joking, but the response is natural.

Still, nix on censorship, Beijing. And if they'd actually read the manga, they might notice that 1) it's not horror at all, and 2) the negative actions that the protagonist takes are deliberately portrayed as something evil, not to be imitated.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
China is over reacting. Death Note is more suspense than horror and actions do have reactions. I wonder if they let actual horror stories sell. Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LoOpiNg

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
this isnt singapore or europe or the usa
china is known to be sensitive to such issues.
They even banned Meteor Garden, a very popular taiwanese tv series with the group F4. Not to mention bans of websites like wikipedia or blogspot
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
Surprise surprise, China enacts censorship upon its people. Rolling Eyes

GATSU wrote:
Are the "local" versions of Death Note even legal?

Since when has China ever been concerned with such small issues.

LoOpiNg wrote:
Not to mention bans of websites like wikipedia or blogspot

Try looking up Tiananmen Square or Tibet on Google China, or any other type of Chinese search. Of course those computer savy can find ways around this, but for most they just deal with the censorship, if they are even aware of it, which I am sure most are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In 2005, students in the northern city of Shenyang were imitating the manga by writing names of people they disliked in specially printed stationary and pretending that this marked them for death.
Uh, was that "stationery"?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Of course those computer savy can find ways around this, but for most they just deal with the censorship, if they are even aware of it, which I am sure most are.

I read somewhere that many Chinese, especially younger people, do not know anything about the Tiananmen Square incident. Censorship is the rule over there, and ignorance is common practice, although only the government's indoctrination is to blame.

That country has a lot of problems, and the bans that were the center of this news story are just represent a very small fraction of that.
Sandman-_-711

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Its even worse because most things are made in china, I bet you somewhere they are actually make the Deathnotes.
Sandman-_-711

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Josh7289"][quote="Dargonxtc"]Of course those computer savy can find ways around this, but for most they just deal with the censorship, if they are even aware of it, which I am sure most are.[/quote]

I read somewhere that many Chinese, especially younger people, do not know anything about the Tiananmen Square incident. Censorship is the rule over there, and ignorance is common practice, although only the government's indoctrination is to blame.

That country has a lot of problems, and the bans that were the center of this news story are just represent a very small fraction of that.[/quote]

"Censorship is the rule over there, and ignorance is common practice," is so going to be my msn name now thank you
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, I AM Chinese and I DO know about the Tianamen Square incident. Although I wasn't alive back then, my parents informed me that it was a very well known and publicized incident at the time. What most Americans don't know is that many Chinese people found the protests to be very weird because China was already changing to a free market and things were going well with the government. If anything the protests set things back because it forced the government to crack down on the protesters and made them wonder if they were changing things too quickly.

Many Chinese did not support the Tianamen protestors because they didn't feel there was much to protest as the government was already changing for the better. In fact, many Chinese believe that the protestors were being backed by Western organizations who were trying to stir trouble with the Chinese government in an attempt to weaken it and make it look bad.

To put things in perspective, the protestors did things like they built mini statues of liberty. That would be akin to American protestors building little statues of Lenin. It just didn't go over well.

I am not saying that the Chinese government is infallible or anything like that, but I will warn you that you should try to see things from multiple perspectives before you judge a situation, especially political and historical ones.

And also, regarding the whole censorship thing. In China there has always been an understanding between the people and the government that goes as thus: The government can try to ban things, and try to appear to take a moral stance on things. That's fine. Because people will always find a way around it. People will always get what they want. That is the way of life in China, and probably the way of life in just about any place that people live.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
nobinobita:
Quote:
What most Americans don't know is that many Chinese people found the protests to be very weird because China was already changing to a free market and things were going well with the government.

Since when is banning movies from being shown in or outside(as was the case with Lou Ye) of China, and jailing people who make anti-government comments on the Internet a form of freedom?

Quote:
If anything the protests set things back

Yeah, but Mao's re-education camps were a sign of progress. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Many Chinese did not support the Tianamen protestors because they didn't feel there was much to protest as the government was already changing for the better.

Yeah, occupying Tibet and threatening to nuke Taiwan's a vast improvement. Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
threatening to nuke Taiwan

I don't think Beijing has ever made such a threat. Using armed forces is very different from using nuclear weapon. However, United States has openly claimed that they may choose to use tactical nuclear weapons to destroy bunkers that are unreachable with traditional weapons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:
Quote:
I read somewhere that many Chinese, especially younger people, do not know anything about the Tiananmen Square incident.

Well, I AM Chinese and I DO know about the Tianamen Square incident. Although I wasn't alive back then, my parents informed me that it was a very well known and publicized incident at the time.
Well assuming you were educated there, it seems the Government has put an eloquint spin on the whole thing. Proven by your response of:
Quote:
China was already changing to a free market and things were going well with the government. If anything the protests set things back because it forced the government to crack down on the protesters.
First mainland China has yet to reach free market. And things were not going all that well as far as the government is concerned.
Quote:
Many Chinese did not support the Tianamen protestors because they didn't feel there was much to protest as the government was already changing for the better. In fact, many Chinese believe that the protestors were being backed by Western organizations who were trying to stir trouble with the Chinese government in an attempt to weaken it and make it look bad.
This sounds like something you would say if a government official came to your house.

Quote:
To put things in perspective, the protestors did things like they built mini statues of liberty. That would be akin to American protestors building little statues of Lenin. It just didn't go over well.
Well people desecrate our flag and wave the communist one all the time during protests. I have yet to see tanks rolled out, and hundreds killed.

Quote:
I am not saying that the Chinese government is infallible or anything like that, but I will warn you that you should try to see things from multiple perspectives before you judge a situation, especially political and historical ones.
Well I am warned. But trust me, I have, and countless of others much more qualified than I have looked at that situation from every perspective; left, right, up, down, whatever. Have you?

Quote:
And also, regarding the whole censorship thing. In China there has always been an understanding between the people and the government that goes as thus: The government can try to ban things, and try to appear to take a moral stance on things. That's fine. Because people will always find a way around it.
So it is ok to oppress because they can't catch everyone?

Quote:
People will always get what they want.
No they don't.
Quote:
That is the way of life in China, and probably the way of life in just about any place that people live.
No it isn't.

dormcat wrote:
However, United States has openly claimed that they may choose to use tactical nuclear weapons to destroy bunkers that are unreachable with traditional weapons
This is true, but the point is moot. Since then the government and DoD has already confirmed tests that a high-yield conventional weapon would have the same affect as a low-yield nonconventional one. And in turn reversed its option. Also they had a big problem with the irradiated fallout produced by what would in other terms be a surgical strike.
Quote:
I don't think Beijing has ever made such a threat.
Your probably right, however I don't think the US ever threatened China either. However... Wink
Quote:
Using armed forces is very different from using nuclear weapon.
Your right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2