• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon Titles that will disappear forever!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote
I agree with the popular opinion that most of Geneon's catalog will be picked up by other distributors. I am hopeful in seeing the rest of When They Cry and Hellsing, although the delay might be annoying. Classics like Chobits, Samurai Champloo, Read or Die, and Last Exile have good chances of being picked up as well for those few who have yet to get them. There are however a good number of quality titles from Geneon that I have enjoyed and would be surprised if anyone picks them up. So here I am to say these are titles that are great and might be going out of print forever.

Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales: Ranking at 918 (most viewed) this show is almost makes it out of obscurity, but I still don't think it will resurface in the US. Each volume stands alone and fortunately the third DVD made it out before the recent events. Watching these DVDs feels like watching a movie, and I found the tales rather creepy.

Captain Herlock: I'm surprised that this one only made it to 1103 on the most viewed list. This might be the most gorgeous looking Matsumoto television series with personal favorite Nobuteru Yuki breathing new life into the Matsumoto designs and Rintaro directing the last episode. I just remembered that this is yet another show with an amazing instrumental (another thread) OP credits piece.

Human Crossing: At 1836 this one is most likely not going to see the light of day again. Although not quite everyones taste this is a decent slice of life series even if most of the episodes have somewhat Hallmark styled endings. I really love the episode about the reform girl, drama actor father, and bar tender. These stories are very memorable and I highly recommend the series to anyone who liked the also brilliant Diamond Daydreams.

Master Keaton: Coming in at 1442 place this title might be my favorite Geneon title that most likely will not be picked up. The adventures of Keaton range from quiet drama pieces to full out hostage situations. The main character is a likable fellow who has adventures in both Japan and Europe. The series was totally misrepresented in it's trailers and the older art style might have scared off some, but this is a must have in my book.

Takahashi Anthology: I can't believe that this series only got a 1227 here on ANN. I assumed that most people here would have seen this series since it is associated with Rumiko Takahashi. The individual tales here are brilliantly crafted and I found myself enjoying them far more than Ranma or Inuyasha. This is a must have for her fans, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone else ends up picking this series up, since her stuff usually sells. I really wonder why so few people here have seen this series. I like this series more than the higher (viewership) ranked Mermaid Forest which is also out from Geneon.

Zipang: at 1285 I'm surprised at how few people have seen this series, especially considering ANN's reviews of this series. This is another series that I'm really glad is managing to finish it's run with it's final volume being released. The animation of this series is really nice and the plot continues to surprise me.

There are a bunch of other series that I like Starship Operators, Strawberry Marshmallows, and Requiem From the Darkness which I loved which surprisingly have been seen by more members here than the above listed titles. I'm just always surprised at what doesn't make it into the top 1000 most seen anime here and feel as though the above listed Geneon titles are worth seeing.

If anyone has other Geneon titles that don't (or almost doesn't) make the top 1000 most viewed titles that they want to add please do so. Also if there are other things about these series that you would like to add please do so. I know that there have been other "underrated anime" threads, but I feel it has been some time since one and the timing is right for one that is dedicated to Geneon titles that might be going away forever.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
I was surprised that Kyo Kara Maoh is ranked #320 on here, which makes me feel better. That's pretty good ^^. But I'm still really scared about its fate...
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
I was surprised that Kyo Kara Maoh is ranked #320 on here, which makes me feel better. That's pretty good ^^. But I'm still really scared about its fate...

Same here! There's what...2 DVDs left? We're high and dry on this one... Crying or Very sad
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I agree with the popular opinion that most of Geneon's catalog will be picked up by other distributors.

There are just too many shows to list that I love that have come from Geneon. For the ones that might be picked up by another company, I'm very curious as to how the "new" products will be affected. I have collected all of Last Exile, for example, and am wondering if it would be a silly idea to pick it up again if it's released by another company just out of curiosity. I only have two incomplete titles from them: R.O.D The TV and Gate Keepers 21 (which I plan to find volume two asap along with so it won't be incomplete, and maybe the complete Haibane Renmei series). There are many other titles that I probably will never have the chance to see/buy, including Master Keaton in the list above.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
If we're talking about titles that might disappear off the map because only Geneon had the stones to bring them over I'd say kiss titles like Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Haibane Renmei, Fate/Stay Night, Koi Kaze, Kannazuki no Miko, Interlude, Someday's Dreamers, Master Keaton, Portrait of Petite Cossete, and Ghost Talker's Daydream goodbye. I'd say there is a low possibillity of someone releasing these, because they're either contraversial or something that only a few select anime fans enjoy. It's a shame to because they were all great watches, well at least for me anyway.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Haibane Renmei, Fate/Stay Night

I wouldn't be so sure about never seeing these again. Fate/stay night's proven rather popular since its R1 release began (hell, since the fansub run began), so I'm fairly certain it'll be one of the first Geneon titles to be picked up once the licenses expire. And I imagine someone will try to market Tsukihime all over again (probably upon licensing Kara no Kyoukai, as well) by slapping "BY THE MINDS BEHIND FATE/STAY NIGHT!!!" stickers all over it.

Haibane could go either way, but I imagine it'll get picked up because it's at least moderately well known among anime fans that venture beyond generic Cartoon Network fare, and it's very highly touted.

Kruszer wrote:
Interlude

But that was a Toei license. One of their rather infamous releases that was so badly done it was practically defective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pantha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
In response to this thread, I was just browsing through my collection to see which Geneon titles I feel wouldn't be licensed by another distributor. One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Legend of Black Heaven. I bought the box last year and still haven't watched it. But....it's not exactly a title I hear about everyday, you know?

And I agree with Nagisa about Fate/Stay Night. That one has ADV written all over it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Haibane Renmei, Fate/Stay Night

I wouldn't be so sure about never seeing these again. Fate/stay night's proven rather popular since its R1 release began (hell, since the fansub run began), so I'm fairly certain it'll be one of the first Geneon titles to be picked up once the licenses expire. And I imagine someone will try to market Tsukihime all over again (probably upon licensing Kara no Kyoukai, as well) by slapping "BY THE MINDS BEHIND FATE/STAY NIGHT!!!" stickers all over it.

Haibane could go either way, but I imagine it'll get picked up because it's at least moderately well known among anime fans that venture beyond generic Cartoon Network fare, and it's very highly touted.

Kruszer wrote:
Interlude

But that was a Toei license. One of their rather infamous releases that was so badly done it was practically defective.

Oh crap....I forgot all about Fate Stay Night! Shocked Will the last dvd release make the cut off?? God that would be so damn annoying if it doesn't. I mean the last bloody disc!!! Argh. Mad

I'm just glad Ergo will be safe. I also agree Haibane will more then likely be picked up. I mean the title may not be an AS title but it has a very large and strong fan base behind it supporting it. Two titles I'm upset about, because my gf likes them and that means she'll be unhappy about it and therefore I have to suffer too lol, are Karin and Rozen Maiden. If it has catgirls, maids, or vampires she likes it. So obviously Karin falls in there. While Rozen Maiden does involve dolls the art is gorgeous and while I think it's a nice show but nothing fantastic she loves it. So those 2, especially Karin, are more niche titles that I doubt will be picked up.

The one I'm most upset about is Black Lagoon. I loved the VA job so even if it gets picked up God knows if they'll keep the same VA's. I think it stands a good chance of being picked by ADV or Funi. If ADV gets it maybe they'll be smart, like they were with OMG season 2, and keep the original cast.
E-Arkham

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Two titles I'm upset about, because my gf likes them and that means she'll be unhappy about it and therefore I have to suffer too lol, are Karin and Rozen Maiden. If it has catgirls, maids, or vampires she likes it. So obviously Karin falls in there. While Rozen Maiden does involve dolls the art is gorgeous and while I think it's a nice show but nothing fantastic she loves it. So those 2, especially Karin, are more niche titles that I doubt will be picked up.

Karin belongs to Kadokawa. I kinda doubt that they're going to let the license sit and rot under Geneon through all this. It'll likely take time for them to sort out whatever the contract stipulates (exercising an opt-out or min requirement clause, for example), but I think that Karin will return somehow.

Kep
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:
And I agree with Nagisa about Fate/Stay Night. That one has ADV written all over it.

I think a lot of Geneon's titles have ADV written on them. Just from Kruszer's list: ABe series (Haibane Renmei, etc.), Kannazuki no Miko, Koi Kaze, Tsukihime, Petite Cossette, and indeed Fate/stay night. I just have the feeling that if a lot of Geneon's series are picked up, ADV might be the first to leap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ruro niko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
This news made me glad I picked up Captain Herlock, New Getter Robo, and Gad Guard when I did, but there are still some Geneon titles I wish to own. I'd like to have Dual and Last Exile and a few others, so if those are continued to be reprinted so I can eventually get them, then that would lessen the blow.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
and Requiem From the Darkness which I loved which surprisingly have been seen by more members here than the above listed titles. I'm just always surprised at what doesn't make it into the top 1000 most seen anime here and feel as though the above listed Geneon titles are worth seeing.

I feel as though this one will be slipping through the cracks as well. Which is a shame since I enjoyied it very much and I don't think it gets enough credit. It is hit or miss though depending on who you ask. I wonder though how many people saw the R1 releases because they bought them. And how many saw them through other means, based on the fact that there is such a strong and vocal outcry against the title change and the refusal to support the show on that fact alone. Nonetheless I am glad at least a good amount of people did see it.

Let's see if I can add one that will fall through the cracks. Green Legend Ran (#1009) comes to mind. A show that certainly had it's errors, but for fans of shows along the lines of Now and Then, Here and There, it's a must see.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Geneon licensed quite a few titles which are favorites of mine. The two ones in particular that are favorites of mine they had are Popotan and When they Cry. I don't really expect Popotan to be licensed again (in fact I KNOW it isn't), but I really hope Higurashi to be picked up by someone. And hopefully we can get a new box (I'm sorry, even though the current box one would think to fit more to my tastes, I just dislike it because it misrepresents the series so horribly...).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Pantha wrote:

I think a lot of Geneon's titles have ADV written on them. Just from Kruszer's list: ABe series (Haibane Renmei, etc.), Kannazuki no Miko, Koi Kaze, Tsukihime, Petite Cossette, and indeed Fate/stay night. I just have the feeling that if a lot of Geneon's series are picked up, ADV might be the first to leap.

I also agree with all of these being rereleased. If you really want the series and were planing on buying them soon anyways, maybe you should pick them up, but I wouldn't buy them because they are going out of print. I would be very surprised if Koi Kaze, Haibane Renmei or Fate/Stay do not resurface. It would be nice if ADV released Fate/Stay considering Geneon's video quality problems stem from this title. THe sixth volume of Fate/Stay will be released as of now. I probably wouldn't double dip in these though unless there were some major bonus features.

I also enjoyed Black Heaven, and was surprised to see that it ranked decently with the "have seen" crowd. This might be due to the fact that this is one of the older Pioneer releases. This show along with Hajime no Ippo both seem unlikely to be rereleased, but I didn't list them due to the higher number of people who have seen them here.

I also believe Karin will be out soon. If it is a Kadokawa title I hope TRSI, who is currently doing Kadokawa's Third, will pick it up since they have such solid releases.
Shinkusanagi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Man when i heard the news i went out and bought Ergo Proxy volume 5 and six today. I wasn't planning on buying them till later on but i figure i get them now before they become hard to find.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9