• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman NeoHippie

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:50 am Reply with quote
O Wise and Mighty Answerman, I wonder if you could clarify one of the opinions expressed in your most recent column for me.
Surprised

Answerman wrote:

It's good that she liked Princess Mononoke, but everyone loves Miyazaki stuff, especially since you can't really classify it as 'anime' in the traditional sense.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. The first time I read through it, I inferred that you see Miyazaki's work as so much superior to other anime (in general) that it belongs in a totally seperate genre or something... But that viewpoint seems kind of extreme... so I'm really not sure.

Care to elaborate?

(I love you, BTW. Wink )
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:17 am Reply with quote
Now now, no shonen ai on the forum! It makes the straight guys jealous when the gay guys get the fan-girls' attention. =p
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:11 am Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:

The first time I read through it, I inferred that you see Miyazaki's work as so much superior to other anime (in general) that it belongs in a totally seperate genre or something... But that viewpoint seems kind of extreme... so I'm really not sure.

Care to elaborate?

(I love you, BTW. ;) )

I'd send you his love, but I doubt Answerman has much life left in him from the alcohol-soaked PAR-TAY that he threw yesterday THAT I COULDN'T COME TO.

Oh, and about Ghibli being better than other anime? Yep, seems about right to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vicious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that he's refering to the fact that Ghibli films don't rely on the standard anime cliche's that alot of shows do. Even shows that are mostly original have one or two cliche's in them. Off the top of my head the only non-ghibli anime's that don't that I've seen are Cowboy Bebop and Record of Lodoss War OAV(D&D Cliche's yes, anime one's no :P )
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Trigun was pretty original and didn't have too many cliches in it. Ranma ½ too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:50 pm Reply with quote
"I'm guessing that he's refering to the fact that Ghibli films don't rely on the standard anime cliche's that alot of shows do."

Um, Princess Mononoke borrows a lot from Akira. And Totoro's just a Doraemon rip-off when you think about it. :D

As for Bebop, it's just Lupin in space, which was what Lupin VIII was trying to be.
Vicious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:36 am Reply with quote
I think Ranma has a few cliches, though in fairness it's probably the show that created them..so it's forgivable sinse they wern't cliches at the time :)
Cgoten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:10 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

As for Bebop, it's just Lupin in space

I don't think so. Bebop's plot is pretty creative and I don't think it has that many thing in common with Lupin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I was trying to say that Ghibli stuff is, by and large, vastly more legit than other Japanese animation. It wins awards, goes in to film festivals, and is internationally recognized as quality film. I doubt "Cyber Team in Akihabara: The Movie" fits in to the same category. It just doesn't. Ghibli stuff is animated in Japan, but I'd prefer to call it animated film, not anime, since the term 'anime', at least in English, denotes a certain type of animation that Ghibli stuff just doesn't jive with.

"I'd send you his love, but I doubt Answerman has much life left in him from the alcohol-soaked PAR-TAY that he threw yesterday THAT I COULDN'T COME TO."

Dude, you have no idea. Sunday morning was really harsh. Sorry you couldn't make it, though.

"Now now, no shonen ai on the forum! It makes the straight guys jealous when the gay guys get the fan-girls' attention."

And, am I imagining things, or did Gatsu really call me gay? You can do better than that, dude.
-Zac
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:30 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

And, am I imagining things, or did Gatsu really call me gay? You can do better than that, dude.

I think GATSU was responding to this:

Sailormech wrote:
(I love you, BTW.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagakure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:40 pm Reply with quote
For God's sake I am so sick of this kind of stuff.

Gatsu was making a joke. And as for the original post, would you prefer sailormech have said "I really appreciate you hard work on your Answerman column." That sound like bussiness letter! He shortened it, and I know for a fact that I hate really long endless posts anyway.

A joke is a joke and not everything needs to become a sexuality issue.
(note: I'm not writing this directed at anyone in particular)
Case

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanation Zac. It actually does make a lot more sense when you put it that way. A work of art in a broader sense than the word "anime" can effectively describe... Interesting.

And thanks also to GATSU and LordByronius for your lovely criticism of my choice of words. That was exactly what I created this thread for.
Rolling Eyes

Actually, I look up to all you Q&A gurus. I'd love to do what you do for a site of my own one day.
Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1