• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
flipped or unflipped?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animelovinggirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
Which way do you prefer or are used to more? Or are you used to both equally? Try to give 1-3 reasons for why 1 way & why not the other. Or just for why if you like both.

For me, I'm used to both flipped & unflipped. Why?

1. Sure it took some time, but I eventually got used to reading manga in it's original unflipped format. I don't have to try & imagine a mirror image (literally) of the panel I'm looking at.

2. Ok, I know it'd be nice if say, VIZ, released the manga it translates (or at least the manga I read that are from VIZ) unflipped so I don't have to be annoyed with the illusion that Inuyasha, Ranma, & Red (Pokemon Adventures) appear to be left-handed instead of right-handed, but I guess it's better if the manga's released in the U.S. only in the flipped format rather than not released at all.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
I don't expect you'll get much argument from anyone about this. As far as I know non-flipped is pretty much the standard. I don't even know if there is anybody that releases manga flipped anymore. Flipping may have been common ages ago when manga didn't really have it's own market but fell in as part of the more general comic market and had to adapt to have more appeal. However, nowadays there isn't really any reason to do so and people expect manga in it's original form. (I might be mistaken since my knowledge of manga is relatively limited but I'm fairly certain that this is at least generally the case.)

So yeah...

I guess I'll go with non-flipped since there isn't really any reason to flip. It's not really difficult to get used to reading non-flipped manga.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to support ikillchicken's opinion. While many long-time manga collectors have flipped vols, I think most prefer the unflipped versions.

The major reason for this preference is due to the fact that this is how the "comic" (no one kill me) is supposed to be read. The characters are not mirrored and the speech bubbles flow. A good example would be the odd reason that Inuyasha is still flipped. Everyone fights with their left arm (when it is supposed to be their right) and Sesshomaru is spoiler[missing the wrong arm ]. (Just in case the example has been covered for new Inuyasha fans. If you have read up to vol 3 or watched the anime up to episode 7 (?) it's safe.)

Other than that any other arguement is really moot. The ink is the same, the paper is the same, the art is the same (mostly), and the story is the same. While it can take a bit to learn to read from right to left, it really isn't hard. (BTW there is a discussion that is on-going regarding how long it took to learn to read from right to left. If you want to check it out.)

So, I'd pick unflipped any day over a flipped version.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I have old volumes of Sailor Moon that are flipped. And it's really weird seeing people shake hands with their left arms. Confused

I'm going to have to say that I prefer un-flipped manga and I've finally replaced everything that I have (Except for Sailor Moon Crying or Very sad ) to the un-flipped versions.

Un-flipped just works better.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't even know if there is anybody that releases manga flipped anymore.

Dark Horse's Blade of the Immortal is a special kind of flipped, where they actually cut out and rearrange the panels so that they read left-to-right, but without actually reversing the artwork.

ikillchicken wrote:
Flipping may have been common ages ago

Ha! I love that 2001 is now "ages ago." As if I didn't feel ancient already. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I go for unflipped when possible, although I will still read a flipped manga if only that is available.

1) When Tokyopop flipped Parasyte, they had to change a character's name as a result spoiler[they had to change the parasitic right hand to being a left hand, and thus changed the whole characters name, which is migi, meaning right in the DelRey version]. Delrey didn't have this problem in the unflipped version. Things like this have probably happened in other mangas too. I jsut find it annoying...

2) Now that more mangas are available unflipped, I'm simply used to reading them in the unflipped fashion.[/spoiler]

Last edited by zawa113 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee1981

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
When I first found this topic, I was thinking that I didn't really care, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided that unflipped is better for the simple sake of preserving the artist's vision to the extent that it is possible, given translation and language barrier issues. Flipping might not be as bad as fullscreen releases of movies that were meant to be seen in widescreen, but at the same time its a needless alteration of the artwork and I think its just better to preserve the image as much as possible. On the other hand, as much as I love the Akira manga, if they were to release unflipped volumes, I probably wouldn't buy them; it cost me over $100 to buy all six Akira volumes; I really don't want to have to buy them again.
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering:

Were Osamu Tezuka's works originally read left to right?

Because from the previews I've seen on Vertical Inc.'s site, it seems to be that way.

I haven't bought the official volumes, so I can't confirm that for myself.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I prefer unflipped due to the large number of details that need to either be overlooked by the reader--which I usually can't--or changed in some way by the translator or editor. These details include, but are not limited to:

1. Asymmetry of the human body. It's quite frequent that somebody's heart is referenced within the work, and that organ is only on the left of the body. The translator/editor can change the reference to lungs, but that's not always appropriate, nor is it usually as dramatic. If there are pictures of the human organs, such as the dummies found in the biology labs of many series, that's just erroneous.

2. Directional references. If the translator/editor is diligent, he can change all references of left to right, east to west, etc. Sometimes these matters are overlooked, but that is a problem of the staff rather than the process of flipping. Regardless, this introduces further complications.

3. Normality, human or cultural. I find it rather disconcerting to see a series set in modern Japan and cars driving on the right side of the road--and vice versa for countries where driving on the right of the road is the custom. While I can ignore that a small group of warriors such as the cast of Inuyasha using weapons with their left hand, it's much harder to overlook an entire classroom of high school students writing with their left.

If none of the problems--fundamental or due to negligence--of flipping a manga exists, then I don't care.

Last edited by Boomerang Flash on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
bluestripe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm so used to un-flipped that any comic in left to right format seems weired.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Is that even an issue anymore? Most companies and fans leave it unflipped to respect the artist and preserve the art unaltered. Japanese reads right to left. That's how they're published there and ever since TokyoPop in 2002, the industry has followed that mold. I applaud it.

bluestripe wrote:

Actually.. That's rather bad because the English language reads left to right. Unless you meant any manga flipped left to right. Comics in English reading left to right is THE way to read them, not weird.
bluestripe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
bluestripe wrote:

Actually.. That's rather bad because the English language reads left to right. Unless you meant any manga flipped left to right. Comics in English reading left to right is THE way to read them, not weird.

I know. It just seems weird after so much manga. Even reading English comics seems backwards now. I've just just adjusted my brain to manga. It always takes a moment to re-configure when I read an English comic. I also often find myself pulling books off the shelf and thinking "Thats weird, the cover's on the wrong side."

Haha. Maybe I'm less flexible than some of you.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
I read all of my magazines backwards because of both manga and Newtype USA. I also start reading at the top right. This doesn't happen with English books -- I read those the right way, but only after I look at the back cover and realize that I'm wrong. I don't normally read American comics and I've only had to read flipped manga two or three times (and probably never again now that the industry doesn't really do that). But still, I'll always look right before left now.

Oh, lulz @ the mind. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
Pityless/Envy wrote:
I was wondering:

Were Osamu Tezuka's works originally read left to right?

Because from the previews I've seen on Vertical Inc.'s site, it seems to be that way.

I haven't bought the official volumes, so I can't confirm that for myself.

I'm pretty sure they were originally right to left.

Vertical flips them because they primarily produce literature and more serious stuff, so their publications are aimed to an older, more traditional audience...not your average teen/college-age manga fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1