• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hetalia Which country is your favorite and why?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Canada fan all the way even though I'm American, the running joke of him not being seen is hilarious and to top it off the relationship with Mr Kumajiro is hilarious as well, I also really like America and Sealand, I like America because well I'm American, but he's s funny his laugh him claiming to be the Hero, and him eating dozens of burgers per episode yet he has superhuman strength. And Sealand.. Well... he's so cute! I'm totally rooting on him to become a real country. And in the manga when he becomes a family with Sweden and Finland is awesome! Very Happy
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first two seasons so far (have the movie and season 3 on order), and I like several of the relationships between the characters. I agree that Sealand is very likeable (glad to hear the Nordics will be taking him in at some point - that will be touching). If I had to choose just one character though, it might actually be Switzerland. Here's a guy who minds his own business and doesn't want to get involved in other people's messes (i.e. wars), but steps up - and even goes without himself to some extent - when he sees a humanitarian crisis (i.e. Liechtenstein's desperate straits). He's someone who knows the right thing to do and acts on it, and you can't not like that.
damien007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I personally like England and especially his troll cousin sealand (auto correct doesnt recognize Sealand as a country either Sad ) they're both just too funny. However i always thought the UK would be depicted as female as it traditionally is but whatever. However i must say that I can't stand the countries like Switzerland that refuse to take a side, yeah he helps out sometimes, but never really extends to the point where his own neck in on the line. Also Germany is terrific and the personality is spot on.
Lupica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
I adore Germany and Prussia. Germany because he's very sympathetic and I love the direct way he approaches everything, and Prussia because he's crazy and so self-assured.

Austria is another favourite. I like how highly strung he is.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm still torn about Germany. On the one hand, he's often sympathetic - especially regarding his friendship with Italy and his earnest attempts to navigate figuring out how to be a good BFF for the first time - and stubbornly loyal once he gives his word, but every once in a while when I'm really starting to like the big guy, the series will slam you with a quick reminder that he's committing genocide offscreen. I'll be curious to see how the creators are ultimately going to reconcile that with Hetalia essentially being a comedy at heart. By the way, I think it's arguable that it's a bit unfair that he's being singled out when we all know what Japan and Russia were doing at the same time in history (and also shortly after the war in Russia's case) - and that's without also getting into the morally grey area of America's bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which I have a feeling Hetalia isn't going to touch.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Mine's a tie between Hungary and Austria. Hungary is a really fun character; I like cheerful characters that can still pack a punch like her. I love how she's a total pervert but attempts to claim she isn't, I love how immature she can be around certain people, etc. Hetalia caused me to develop a pretty big interest in the actual country's history and culture, ngl. re; Austria, I already had a major thing for Germanic nations before getting into this series, so the fact that I like all of them is no surprise. It's also no surprise that Austria is my favorite, given that I'm quite into classical music. I enjoy how high-strung and stuffy he is, and yet he turns around and does things like leave underwear all over his house.

@Kelly, are you watching the dub? Because if so, that's where your problem is. The dub is amusing, but it's far from consistent with how the characters canonically are. Germany is not "committing genocide offscreen" in any place but the dub. In fact, he's called Hitler crazy before; he clearly doesn't agree with him at all.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
@Kelly, are you watching the dub? Because if so, that's where your problem is. The dub is amusing, but it's far from consistent with how the characters canonically are.

Thanks, Maryohki. Was not aware that the dub was quite that inconsistent with the original intent. I'll definitely watch the sub in the near future.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
I think Austria is my favourite because of the line "Your rage is Chopin?!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1