• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Zero to Ship in Blu-ray Disc in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
Something that macross fans will have to pay an arm and a leg for if they want it.They will never see it over here in america as an official release.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
WTF? This is worse than the Yukikaze pricing? I thought $150.00 for 5 episodes, which breaks down to $75.00 per volume + extra disc, was exorbitant. But $210.00 for 2 discs is prohibitive. There are just some things to which people, including Macross Fans, don't ascribe that value to their favorite item. BVUSA will eventually bring the title over to North America, and Macross fans here are screwed.

Last edited by khryoleoz on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Something that macross fans will have to pay an arm and a leg for if they want it.

Or at least the select few who can actually watch Blu-ray discs. Lucky rich people... Sad
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
WTF? This is worse than the Yukikaze pricing? I thought $150.00 for 5 episodes, which breaks down to $75.00 per volume + extra disc, was exorbitant. But $210.00 for 2 discs is prohibitive.

But at $210 for 5 episodes it still comes in around the same as BVUSA'se Freedom DVDs which include shorter episodes. This is actually a real deal for Macross Zero fans since the five original standard definition volumes went for 5000 yen each. Even Macross Plus is 4800 Yen per episode bringing it close to that $200 mark for all four parts which are on plain non high definition DVDs. This is a good deal relative to most Japanese releases. We will see if it is ever released in the States, although many are skeptic.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
No English subtitles. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
My LG100 player plays Japanese HD DVDs just fine. I wonder if it'll blue rays too.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
In the article: "page" should be plural and members is misspelled. Also it's 16:9 aspect ratio not just 16:9-aspect (this same error was also made here).

megumi's guy wrote:
My LG100 player plays Japanese HD DVDs just fine. I wonder if it'll blue rays too.

It's a dual format player so it will play Japanese BDs because North America and Japan are in the same region (Region A). HD DVDs, on the other hand, are region-free...
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I've no doubt that Japanese fans would consider this a great deal, since they were originally shafted with 5 DVDs at 5,000yen a pop.

But should BV's USA arm bring the title over to North America, I just don't see how North American fans can be persuaded or duped to believing that $210.00 for 2 Blu-ray discs are outstanding deals.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Even if they don't "officially" bring it over, there is nothing (except price, inability to simply hit Best Buy, or lack of understanding spoken Japanese if the no sub comment is correct) to stop anyone here from buying it since BD Region-A includes Japan and North America.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

I'm not an expert on what Japanese Blu-ray releases are like, but I've seen people complain recently on some of them not having English subs; if it's made in Japan for a Japenese audience, why on earth would they have English subtitles? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

I'm not an expert on what Japanese Blu-ray releases are like, but I've seen people complain recently on some of them not having English subs; if it's made in Japan for a Japenese audience, why on earth would they have English subtitles? It just doesn't make sense to me.

There are a number of Japanese Blu-ray DVDs that have English audio and subtitles. The ratio is much higher than on standard definition DVDs. Every domestic non-anime feature film in Blu-ray and HD DVD in my collection has at least three different languages for audio and usually more for subs. Some of my DVDs seem to have many audio tracks.

I believe there has been some major licensing problems with Macross Zero and the standard definition edition was never released in the States. On the audio commentary of the recent Macross release there is mention (I think Greenfield) about ADV trying to acquire the rights to Zero and Seven. Even if it is the fact that BV Japan has the rights in Japan doesn't mean that they will be the ones releasing it in the US.

BV Japan has included English subtitles on titles that they do have the rights to like their Blu/HD editions of the Patlabor films, Yukikaze, and Jin-Roh. I believe the pressing for the Honneasmise and Jin Roh discs are the same since the menus are in Japanese and they are the same region. On the other hand BV Japan did not put subtitles on titles that they do not have the foreign distribution rights like Sony's Bebop Movie and Metropolis on Blu-ray which is rumored to be released on Blu-ray sometime soon. The fact that BV Japan has not included sub would imply that BVUSA has not secured the rights for US distribution for Macross Zero.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
If they included english subtitles all these Macross releases on Blueray would be getting imported like crazy, absolutely sucks that Macross is stuck in licensing hell.
Jih2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I would really like a legit release of this too but it would appear we have to...

WAIT

The price doesn't really scare me though. This is Japan we're talking about. Absurd amounts of money for a super-secret-deluxe anime DVD set in Blu-Ray can cost oodles of money and the Otaku in Akihabara will gladly line up outside of stores to shell out whatever it is the animation studios ask for. At least this is what I've been told...
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

There are a number of Japanese Blu-ray DVDs that have English audio and subtitles. The ratio is much higher than on standard definition DVDs. Every domestic non-anime feature film in Blu-ray and HD DVD in my collection has at least three different languages for audio and usually more for subs. Some of my DVDs seem to have many audio tracks.

Ok, cool. I'd expect different language options for domestic DVDs, but looking online, I don't remember ever seeing an anime DVD with seperate languages in the audio or subtitle options. Well, not legal DVDs.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
On the audio commentary of the recent Macross release there is mention (I think Greenfield) about ADV trying to acquire the rights to Zero and Seven.

Assuming we're thinking of the same commentary (which was actually two people claiming Greenfield was with them and lost his voice, and then revealed he wasn't there at all), that was just commenting on how the various different "Macross" series', hoping that they could be released.[/url]

And if the following quote is true...
Quote:
According to Tommy Yune of Harmony Gold USA...the company would have been "willing to let the deal go through" for a possible release by A.D. Vision.
(I say if because it's Wikipedia)
...then considering how long it's been since "Zero" was released, I think it's a safe bet it will never cross the pond.
marcyu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
How'd Manga Entertainment license "Macross Plus", then? Besides, the ultimate movie that would sell unbelievably in this country, "Macross: Do You Remember Love", STILL hasn't been licensed. I'd shoot for that instead of the sucky "Macross Zero" (how fitting a title, BTW) - it almost beats up Macross 7. Okay, I'm exxagerating - NOTHING could be as bad as Macross 7.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2