• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Allison & Lillia (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Allison & Lillia (TV)

Genres: adventure, romance
Themes: military, spies, treasure hunting

Plot Summary: The story takes place on a continent where two countries are separated by Lutoni River and Central Mountains. The two countries, the Confederation of Roxche and the United Kingdom of Bezel Iltoa, have been at war for over a century and now settled on a ceasefire. Allison is a pilot in the Roxche air force and one day reunites with Will, her companion from the House of Future, where they were orphans. Together they find themselves embroiled in an adventure in enemy territory to find a fabled treasure that will hopefully end the war and bring peace to both countries.
----------------------------------

From the creator of Kino's Journey, this anime will actually cover two of his novels: Allison for the first part and Lillia & Treize for the second part.

Episode two should already be out, but I didn't have the chance to see the first episode until today and there was no thread, so...

Episode 1

What I liked about the first episode is that it started off with a bit of a laid-back atmosphere, introducing Will as some kind of genius. All of a sudden, a plane comes flying in and we're introduced to a spunky Allison (whose long blond hair was pointed out way too much). Anime smile + sweatdrop But anyway, just from the way that we are introduced to the world and its characters got me more interested as the episode progressed. Music's great, but the character designs look a little funny.

A war has been going on between two countries for ~130 years. The one that Allison and Will are currently in is Roxche and the other is Sou Beil. (I had to look those two names up, they were too hard to remember for me.) Moving on, the two meet an old man who tells them he knows of a treasure that can stop the war. Even I'm intrigued by this comment. I like that Allison would gladly give up her badge to stop a war between the two nations; we learn a lot of good things about her character in these few moments. I especially liked spoiler[her politeness when she "borrowed" the large plane to chase after those people who abducted the old man.] Anime smile

I'm sure this series will turn out to be, if possible, a bigger hit than Spice and Wolf, but mainly because it has more room to animate the novels with 26 episodes. There also seems to be a larger promise of adventure and mischief and plenty of great character interaction. Allison is a very likable character in my opinion and I hope we get to see lots of action from her. Will isn't as interesting, but I'm sure the story will change him a bit in some ways in the future. Smile

Speaking of the future, the second half of the series will focus on Lillia, Allison's daughter, and takes place 15 years later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
OH, seeing this has me sorely tempted to watch this show. I don't usually download, much preferring to watch anime on DVD or see whatever is on TV, but I love Kino's Journey so much that the temptation of something else based off the same author's work is pretty big.

I think for now I'll follow this thread and see what all of you think, so I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's opinions. If everyone can use spoiler tags as we go it will be greatly appreciated!

It doesn't look like either of the manga this show is based off of are available in English either. Well, I guess for now I'll just have to wait. Hopefully this series will be great and if it is maybe someday it will even get brought over here.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode and I consider it one of the better (No: good) shows of this season, along with Soul Eater (And R2...).

I partially agree on the character designs, they look a little funny but I like them nevertheless, maybe it's just because Allison reminds me a lot of Yun from Simoun...
The pacing and overall feeling of the episode was great, I especially liked how the characters communicated (I can't find a better word here, sorry) - although I didn't quite get what the action of the old man was about, I hope there will be an explanation.
Anyhow, I am really looking forward to seeing ep 2 of this (And I think it has already aired)
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
This looks to be the most promising show of the season so far (with Kure-nai possibly surpassing it), as I too loved Kino's Journey. I liked the pacing a lot since it allowed for the characters to be introduced and for you to get an understanding of who they are before the story takes off.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to more. This "feels" something like Kino's Journey, with a lot of Miyazaki thrown in--maybe a mix of Castle In The Sky and Porco Rosso. Very strong first episode--you really get a sense of the characters and the setting.

In short: woot!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
If everyone can use spoiler tags as we go it will be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully I didn't spoil anything in my first post (I don't think I said anything major), but I'll be sure to cover most of the details with spoiler tags in the future. Anime smile + sweatdrop This one was sort of an introduction post anyway.

Labbes wrote:
I partially agree on the character designs, they look a little funny but I like them nevertheless, maybe it's just because Allison reminds me a lot of Yun from Simoun...

Actually, it's only Will's design that bothers me. I like the way Allison looks, especially her eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode. I thought the scenery in it was particularly well done. I agree, the character designs seemed a little strange. I didn't think they were bad it just felt like at times that characters face's were, how should I put this, like plastic. Anyway, that isn't too much of a problem for me. I'll keep watching this show. It seems like it will be an interesting adventure.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Actually, it's only Will's design that bothers me. I like the way Allison looks, especially her eyes.

I like Allison's look a lot, too, but it seems a little out of place when comparing it to the other characters - although all the others until now have been male, so there is no real comparison unless you consider the old housekeeper Very Happy

PS: One thing I didn't think about at all was mentioned in the Springs Preview Guide:
Quote:
This is a tale of two nations that have been at war for over a hundred years…but you'd never guess that from the countless nostalgic, pastoral scenes of cottages, fields, and classes conducted outside under a shade tree.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
I really like Allison's character design myself. Wil's is nothing special, but hey, it's not strange to me.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
PS: One thing I didn't think about at all was mentioned in the Springs Preview Guide:
Quote:
This is a tale of two nations that have been at war for over a hundred years…but you'd never guess that from the countless nostalgic, pastoral scenes of cottages, fields, and classes conducted outside under a shade tree.

According to Wiki, an armstice has been in effect for 10 years. Though I don't remember the anime telling us that. Maybe it will next episode?
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Labbes wrote:
Quote:

According to Wiki, an armstice has been in effect for 10 years. Though I don't remember the anime telling us that. Maybe it will next episode?

It did. It was when Wil was teaching the class outside on the schoolyard.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Oh, my bad. But it seems a few others didn't catch it either. Razz
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:

Oh, my bad. But it seems a few others didn't catch it either. Razz

Hmm. Maybe it's because of the subs I watched. But that only matters if more than one group subbed it.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

I still don't believe you can build up two countries in 10 years, I mean, look at Germany 1955. That sure was no fun environment to grow up in.

Anyway, that's just a little nitpicking, I don't think the war theme will be more fleshed out because it looks like a show for (more or less) kids and stuff. Bla Very Happy
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
I don't think this has a Kino's Journey feel to it at all. Kino was a bit more dark and broody. I'm finding this show to be a bit more light, although it may not stay that way depending on how things go. But it's not light in a bad way, it just has a great adventuring feel to it. I think the show that comes more to mind watching this would be Last Exile. The shows are not really alike but it certainly has the same kind of feel. I'm definitely gonna keep watching it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6