• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Anime Fest to Host Voice Actress Rie Tanaka

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
she's epic
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I am stoked!!!!
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting much more excited now (it's my first con too)
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
OMG, Lacus Clyne is coming!
prince leon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
I wish I could attend. Sad
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
Hello,
I'm new to this, but does anyone know if Rie will sing "Let Me Be With You" from Chobits ?
That alone would cause me to go. I like both her version and also Neno's as well.

thanks
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote
New York Anime Festival

Quote:
Meet the Voice of Chii, Lacus Clyne, and Suigintou!

Voice Actress RIE TANAKA Comes to the NEW YORK ANIME FEST

While she is strongly associated with Lacus Clyne, Chii and Suigintou outside Japan, it appears that inside Japan, Rie Tanaka is apparently much more strongly associated with Lacus Clyne and Suigintou than with Chii - even though Chii has historically fared much better than Suigintou in annual female character popularity polls of the three big anime magazines in Japan: Newtype (Chii finished No. 1 in 2002); Animage (Chii finished No. 8 in the 25th Animage Grand Prix); and Animedia.

On the other hand, Lacus Clyne has dominated annual favorite female character polls of Newtype, Animage, and Animedia like no one else has done in history.

During her voice acting career, Rie Tanaka has demonstrated a penchant for cosplay (costume play), dressing up as the characters she portrays in anime, games, drama CDs, etc., as well as dressing up as other character types, such as those shown in pictures accompanying her regular movie column in Seiyuu Animedia magazine, "Tanaka Rie no Cinema ni Koishite!!" ("Fall in Love with Rie Tanaka's Cinema!!")

Rie Tanaka has cosplayed a number of her characters, including Saki in Steel Angel Kurumi, Mariel in Hanakyou Maid-tai (Hanaukyo Maid Team), Sanada-san (Ms. Sanada) in UFO Princess Valkyrie (UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie), Black Chii in Chobits, Lacus Clyne in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, Meer Campbell in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny, Suigintou in Rozen Maiden, Karen Erra in Phantasy Star Universe, Simca in Air Gear, Hiroko Matsukata in Hataraki Man, and Maria in Hayate no Gotoku! (Hayate the Combat Butler).

Rie Tanaka has often cosplayed at anime, manga/doujin, and game events she guests at.

Rie Tanaka has appeared at the Fancy Frontier manga/doujin convention in Taipei, Taiwan a few times, including Fancy Frontier 9 on Sunday, February 25, 2007 and Fancy Frontier 6 on July 31, 2005. (She appeared at a similar or related event in Taipei, Taiwan during 2004.)

Scene Minutes Before the Start of the Rie Tanaka Mini Live Concert at Fancy Frontier 6, National Taiwan University Sports Center (New Gymnasium), Taipei City, Taiwan, July 31, 2005

Sporting the Green Dress Lacus Clyne Wears in White Symphony on Episode 36 of Gundam SEED, Lacus Clyne and Meer Campbell Voice Actress Rie Tanaka Performs Mini Live Concert at Fancy Frontier 6, National Taiwan University Sports Center, Taipei City, Taiwan, July 31, 2005

Rie Tanaka Surrounded by a Number of Lacus Clyne and Meer Campbell Cosplayers, Plus a Suigintou Cosplayer, at Fancy Frontier 6, National Taiwan University Sports Center, Taipei City, Taiwan, July 31, 2005

A Rie Tanaka Autograph from Fancy Frontier 6 in Taipei, Taiwan, Signed "Rie Tanaka" and Dated July 31, 2005

Odds are high that Rie Tanaka will cosplay at New York Anime Festival 2008, especially since she is scheduled to appear during the festival's World Cosplay Summit Masquerade.

As opposed to her more familiar, higher pitched speaking and singing voices for Lacus Clyne and Meer Campbell in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED DESTINY, Rie Tanaka's lower pitched speaking and singing voices for Sei in Bakuretsu Tenshi (Burst Angel) are close to her own natural speaking and singing voices.

On the Victor Enterntainment official web page for the MOBILE SUIT SEED ~ SEED DESTINY - THE BRIDGE Across the Songs from GUNDAM SEED & SEED DESTINY Double CD, click on the REAL icons for DISC-2, TRACK 02 "Shizukana Yoru ni" ("In the Quiet Night") by Lacus Clyne (Rie Tanaka) and DISC-2, TRACK 14 "Fields of hope" by Lacus Clyne (Rie Tanaka) to listen to music samples of two Lacus Clyne insert songs sung by Rie Tanaka.

Then on the Victor Entertainment official web page for the Bakuretsu Tenshi SUIT CD "Shi" Sei-19, click the REAL icon for TRACK 01 "Breathe" by Sei (Rie Tanaka) to listen to a music sample of the Sei image song sung by Rie Tanaka.

Rie Tanaka is one of a handful of voice actors who has gotten so closely identified with a famous character they play that one has become interchangeable with the other.

Not only among ordinary fans of anime, manga and games in Japan, but also among people involved in the anime, manga and game businesses in Japan, Rie Tanaka in particular has become inextricably linked with a couple of characters she voices: Lacus Clyne from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny; and Suigintou, aka Gin-sama, in Rozen Maiden.

Seemingly to a much greater extent than for most other Japanese voice actors, Japanese fans frequently refer to Rie Tanaka as Lacus (Clyne) and especially Suigintou or Gin-sama instead of her own name and her nickname, Rie Rie.

Paying homage to Suigintou and her voice actress, the creative staff of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (When They Cry 2) undoubtedly modeled Nomura - the mysterious woman with long silver hair in the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (When They Cry 2) television anime series and the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri game for PlayStation 2 - after Suigintou and had Rie Tanaka use her Suigintou voice to portray her.

This caused quite a stir among anime and game fans in Japan.

In Episode 35 of the Hayate no Gotoku! (Hayate the Combat Butler) television animation series, Maria briefly wears a Suigintou costume. This not only parodies the fact that both Maria and Suigintou share the same Japanese voice actress, but also plays up Rie Tanaka's love of cosplay.

Hayate no Gotoku! manga creator Kenjirou Hata (Kenjiro Hata), who chose Rie Tanaka to play Maria in the Hayate no Gotoku! anime, pays tribute to Rie Tanaka and Suigintou in Chapter 156 of the Hayate no Gotoku! manga with a Maria parody of Suigintou.

Suffering from muscle pain in bed, Nagi Sanzenin accidentally pokes Maria in the face. (Nagi and Maria sleep in the same bed.) Maria responds, "Junk ni shimasu yo." ("I'll turn you into junk!")

This is Maria's version of a famous trademark line by Rie Tanaka as Suigintou in the Rozen Maiden anime and the Suigintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i Web Radio shows and CDs, "Junk ni shite ageru(wa)!!" ("I'll turn you into junk!!")

A number of Japanese readers found it highly unusual and very funny for the sweet, gentle maid Maria to say something like that in the manga. But some of them recognized it is an homage to her Japanese voice actress in the anime.

Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de, or Kimiaru for short, ero-game (eroge; hentai game) creator and writer Takahiro cast Rie Tanaka to play loud, brash, rich high school girl Ageha Kuki who beats up her butler Kojuurou all the time (and he loves her for it) in the non ero-game version for PS2 and the 13-episode TV anime series adaptation.

Commending Rie Tanaka's voice acting performance as Ageha Kuki on Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de Drama CD Vol. 5 in the 2008-06-06 entry on the Kimiaru blog, Takahiro brings up the political party support of rabid Suigintou (Mercury Lamp) fans in Japan who belong to the Mercury Party (Suigintou).

During hanami (cherry blossom viewing) with the gang in the second half of Episode 11 of the Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de (They are my noble Masters) TV anime series, Ageha Kuki commands her butler Kojuurou to bring her a whole keg, which she proceeds to guzzle down all by herself. The keg is labeled, "Nyuusankin" ("Lactic Acid Bacteria"). This parodies another famous trademark line by Rie Tanaka as Suigintou in Rozen Maiden. In Episode 8 of the first TV season (2004) of the Rozen Maiden anime, Suigintou asks Motoharu Shibasaki, "Nyuusankin totteruu?" ("Have you taken your lactic acid bacteria?")

This is where all the association, fanart, etc., of lactic acid bacteria drinks (e.g., Yakult) with Suigintou and Rie Tanaka stems from - a single Suigintou line originating in the 2004 Rozen Maiden television anime series (it did not originate in the Rozen Maiden manga by PEACH-PIT), delivered by Rie Tanaka in her own inimitable way.

Galge.com (galge = gal + game) recently conducted a series of interviews with the main female cast of the upcoming Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka Parallel game for Sony PlayStation 2, described as a "tsundere school romance adventure" ("tsundere-kei gakuen ren'ai adventure"). It is slated to go on sale in Japan Thursday, August 14, 2008. Based on an PC ero-game by feng, the Akane-Iro ni Somaru Saka television anime series will also starting airing in Japan during Fall 2008, using the PS2 game cast rather than the PC ero-game cast.

The last in a three-part series, Galge.com interviews "Double Rie": Rie Kugimiya, who plays tsundere rich girl Yuuhi Katagiri; and Rie Tanaka, who plays bubbly school idol Mitsuki Shiina.

Rie Kugimiya is well known for her tsundere roles. Yuuhi Katagiri is another in a long line of such roles.

Tanaka Rie-san ga enjiru dakeni, heiwa wo motomete utattari uchuu senkan te shikishitari nyuusankin tottari suru no ka......!?"
---
Because Rie Tanaka performs [as Mitsuki Shiina], does she sing for peace, command a space battleship, and take lactic acid bacteria.......!?

Without ever mentioning them by name, the Galge.com article evokes in words images of the Pink Princess, Lacus Clyne ("sing for peace"; "command a space battleship"), and the Dark Angel, Suigintou ("take lactic acid bacteria"), inexorably intertwining these two popular anime characters with their Japanese voice actress, Rie Tanaka.

Lacus Clyne and Suigintou are to Rie Tanaka, perhaps, as Captain James T. Kirk is to William Shatner and Batman is to Adam West.

No matter whatever else they do, they will be forever linked with these famous roles and characters. Their unique speech patterns and distinctive acting mannerisms have left indelible marks on viewers and audiences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1