• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Picks Up Wāq Wāq, Tegami Bachi Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Finally, Viz picks up a relatively short title for serialization. The only other short title on the magazine, gosh, Sand Land, and that was during the very beginning!

If what I'm predicting is right, then it'll be nice to see them finally using Shojo Beat's method of serializing relatively shorter titles. While SB has also been caught sending longer/less popular(?) titles into the quicker release format, their more recent serialized titles are much shorter in comparison to the ones that were stopped, so seeing them finish their serialization in its entirety looks likely.

Also, we learn that Slam Dunk's serialization is only temporary. At least it was this early in the game. Temporary serialization is fine, as it can help promote and increase awareness for titles (like it has for Gintama and Slam Dunk, which I really hope sells well for Viz), but it's not good when you've serialized more than several volumes, only to remove it for reasons unknown (or probably due to lack of popularity). I don't want to see another Hikaru no Go or Shaman King situation again.

And what the heck's Waq Waq? Does anybody have any knowledge of this title?

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
So is Viz still going to announce new anime licenses? Or is this all we're going to hear about licenses from Viz? Because I'd be really dissapointed if this is all they have.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

And what they heck's Waq Waq? Does anybody have any knowledge of this title?

Well, All's I know is that Waq Waq is made by the creator of Hoshin Engi. Other than that, I have no idea what it is.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
So is Viz still going to announce new anime licenses? Or is this all we're going to hear about licenses from Viz? Because I'd be really dissapointed if this is all they have.

That was just the Shonen Jump panel, Viz still has another one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tebalith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Waq Waq ran in Weekly Jump three years ago... As far as I know, it was a bit of a flop and ended after only four volumes. I have not read it, so I cannot say anything about the quality, but in any case, it is also a shorter manga, so it does sound like a good choice for Shonen Jump. I agree that serializing shorter manga makes much more sense than serializing long, big series.

Tegami Bachi is also a good choice in that regard, since it's running in a monthly magazine in Japan and has only 19 chapters out as of now.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
They didn't say what Wāq Wāq would be replacing. Hopefully Bobobo?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
It's nice that SD will be published faster, but it'll still take forever, either way. [Probably as long as St. Seiya and Whistle!, too...]

Buster: I think Shaman King has a fanbase, and people do buy at least the HnG manga, but I imagine those ending to give people an incentive to continue reading the mag and support the older volumes.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

I bet it's going to replace Yu Yu Hakusho. I wouldn't be surprised if they rushed YYH out the door and gave it like three chapters a month to make it end. After all, we only have like 3 or 4 volumes left. I'd be pissed if they got rid of Bo-BoBo, it's serialization is the only way we can actually read the Bo-BoBo manga in english! And they only give us one chapter a month, which sucks!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

Waq Waq will not be replacing anything in the SJ magazine, it's a straight-to-GN release that will only be previewed in the mag.

Hope that clears it up.
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
i think the world of comic books just broke, i never thought of combining manga with Stan Lee. i have to say, sounds like its gonna be one hell of a manga Smile
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
A Fujiryu manga in US Jump? THERE IS A GOD!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Great great news this time, Viz.
Tegami Bachi is a bit of a surprise, since not many volumes are out, but it makes sense that they'll be serializing it. That's a smarter way to use the magazine I think: have manga that still don't have many volumes, that way we get them soon, though at a slower pace...so hopefully we might see some more Jump SQ stuff relatively soon. Tegami Bachi looks beautiful.

As for Waq Waq, I'm still a bit confused as to if it'll be in the magazine or not...but otherwise, from what I've read of it it's pretty cool. It did get cancelled at four volumes, but if you like Hoshin Engi (especially the more sci-fi side of it), then you'll like Waq Waq. Ryu Fujisaki is one of my favorite mangaka so I'm really excited...and I really hope Shiki won't take too long to come over here. I don't know how Hoshin Engi is doing in sales, but Waq Waq getting licensed is a good sign I guess...maybe we'll get the incredibly strange Sakuratetsu Taiwahen as well!

Also, great news for Slam Dunk fans. I myself haven't been completely sold on it. I've enjoyed what I read so far, but I'm not sure if I'd buy the individual volumes. (Why couldn't it be Bleach taken out of the magazine Crying or Very sad )
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
As for Waq Waq, I'm still a bit confused as to if it'll be in the magazine or not...

No.

The magazine only gets a preview chapter.

The rest will be straight to tankobon format.
Jinsuire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
excellent! Tegami Bachi is a surprising pick, since it seems like not many people read it, but it's definitely deserving. The artwork and story is amazing, and the plots pretty decent too!
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, way to make my day, Viz! WáqWáq is a fantastic fun series. Nice and short, but really a blast to read. I'll be looking forward to Viz's releases. I've been hoping Viz would pick up Tegami Bachi! It's such a fantastic series, and I'm all for series about couriers!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2