• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
more answerman nitpicks.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bludstone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:41 pm Reply with quote
"Yo Answerman! I just read the review on Kimagure Orange Road and I was wondering if there will be a DVD collection of this series coming out anytime soon. Thanks!

Well, not anytime soon, but AnimEigo has mentioned that they were thinking of doing a KOR DVD set."

-sigh-

wrong. :roll:
read animeigo's main page.

as of 01/10/2002, five days before answerman's column was posted.

"KOR TV - As soon as the liner notes finish being printed, it goes to replication. "

that means they _are_ releasing a set. probably by next month.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, that is not a nitpick.

I wonder how Zac missed that? Probably because AE hasn't done much in the way of publicity.

Anyways, Zac's column has been fixed.
bludstone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Ouch, that is not a nitpick.

I wonder how Zac missed that? Probably because AE hasn't done much in the way of publicity.

Anyways, Zac's column has been fixed.

you cant be serious? Look, he can at least do SOME research on a question before just answering it. i dont think going to the companies MAIN PAGE is too much to ask. trying to pass this off because of a lack of press release is pretty bad.

animeondvd.com got the news, it was posted on their main page.

thanks for giving me credit for the error correction btw, i appreciate it --x
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

thanks for giving me credit for the error correction btw, i appreciate it --x

Should I credit you or the 8 people who e-mailed me before you posted in the forum. Or should I just credit myself since I already knew about the boxed set being ready before anyone e-mailed me, but I hadn't read Zac's column yet? We credit people for showing us something that we would not otherwise have noticed. So in this case, no one gets credit, not you, not the other 8 people, and most certainly not me.

This isn't to say that I / we don't appreciate people telling us about mistakes, whether by e-mail or in the forum. When we get something new, we appreciate being made aware of it, and when we get something that we already know about, we appreciate the intent (it's the thought that counts Smile ). But we only give credit in the first case.

Quote:

you cant be serious?

I am quite serious, but in retrospect I seem to not have made myself clear. I'm not saying AE's lack of publicity is any reason that Zac shouldn't have known about the DVD. I'm just saying that's probably what happenned.

Quote:

animeondvd.com got the news, it was posted on their main page.

NEWS? What NEWS? "As soon as the liner notes finish being printed, it goes to replication" isn't NEWS. Maybe we'll post something when the DVD does actually go to replication, but most likely we'll next mention it when it ships.

Can you imagine if we posted on the production status of every single Anime release? We'd have dozens of such posts every day, imagine trying to find the *REAL* news in that mess.

The only NEWS that there has been about the set so far was in October when AE announced that they were producing it.

So, to conclude: *I* Apologize for the error. Not for Zac's error, but the failure of ANN's editorial process for not catching the mistake before posting it.

I'll let Zac apologize for himself if and when he sees fit.
bludstone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:45 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tempest"]

Quote:

Should I credit you or the 8 people who e-mailed me before you posted in the forum.

you should credit the first person to point out the mistake to you, which you did not.

Quote:

This isn't to say that I / we don't appreciate people telling us about mistakes, whether by e-mail or in the forum.

you sure are acting that way.

Quote:

NEWS? What NEWS? "As soon as the liner notes finish being printed, it goes to replication" isn't NEWS.

news (nz, nyz)

Information about recent events or happenings, especially as reported by newspapers, periodicals, radio, or television. (or webpage)

lets see, "As soon as the liner notes finish being printed, it goes to replication" is a recent event, and it was reported by a reputable anime news site. i think that makes it qualify.

Quote:

Can you imagine if we posted on the production status of every single Anime release?

sure. i read the animeondvd.com forums too, you know. its not that difficult to sort this stuff out, i do it all the time. besides, its your job as editor in cheif to demonstrate professionalism when it comes to this kind of thing.

i accept your rather sarcastic apology, and will continue being nitpicky with news and posts.

this is constructive criticism, not a personal vendetta.
Allen
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Of course, what should also be said here is, the set will be available in the next month or so to those that did pre-orders. The rest of the masses will have to wait another year when Animeigo does individual disc releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bludstone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tempest"]
Quote:

The only NEWS that there has been about the set so far was in October when AE announced that they were producing it.

just to be even MORE nitpicky and spiteful.

http://www.animeondvd.com/press/conventions/2001/otakon_panel_report-2.htm

according to this. "Work has started on KOR - however the licensor has insisted they use Macrovision (boo)"

thats them actually working on it back at otakon in august.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:48 pm Reply with quote
bludstone wrote:

you should credit the first person to point out the mistake to you, which you did not.

Again, I only credit people for telling us something we didn't already know, or wouldn't otherwise find out in due course.

For example, I check various other news sites every day (ie: TRSI), so if 10 people e-mail me something that was posted on TRSI, I WON'T CREDIT ANY OF THEM except TRSI. But there are dozens of other websites that I rarely, or never check. Should someone e-mail me about an item on one of those sites then they will be credited for it. As you can see reading our news, we regularly credit people.

Quote:

"As soon as the liner notes finish being printed, it goes to replication" is a recent event.

Actually, no, it isn't an event. Nothing Happenned. It's just a status update.

Quote:

sure. i read the animeondvd.com forums too, you know. its not that difficult to sort this stuff out, i do it all the time.

Two things. Those are forums, not the main page. You can't compare one website's forums with another website's front page.

Second thing is that comparing ANN and AoDVD is like comparing apples and Oranges. One is an Anime news site, the other is an Anime DVD discussion site. We overlap in many areas, but our purpose is not the same.

Quote:

i accept your rather sarcastic apology

I didn't mean to be sarcastic, I meant to be very sincere about the fact that ANN had made a mistake and I apologised for it. I'm not belitling the mistake, it was serious.

Quote:

and will continue being nitpicky with news and posts.

So far you haven't been "nitpicky" whatsoever. Your two posts have been about valid and serious issues.

A nitpick is about something minor that could easilly be ignored.

Quote:

this is constructive criticism, not a personal vendetta.

I assumed as much. You wouldn't bother to read ANN if you didn't like us, would you? We appreciate constuctive criticism and hope you keep it up.

(no sarcasm intended in any part of this message)

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Jan 15, 2002 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ramza
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Tempest was going for _exact_ factual accuracy in this forum when he said that the only NEWS on KOR was back in October when Animeigo announced their production on it. In regards to this conversation, the actual month of October had no real relevence. Tempest was simply trying to say that the production began awhile ago and nothing signicant has happened recently that is exciting enough to post about. ANN doesn't clutter up the main page by announcing every tiny little production status detail. Considering the amount of titles being released all the time, it would be silly to do so.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Sure wish AnimEigo would offer some sort of "in between" option for those of us who just can't pony up $250 for the complete set, but also don't want to wait a whole year just for the first volume (of 12) of the individual DVD releases to hit retail store shelves. I buy the 5 disks/$125 Urusei Yatsura boxes, but $250 is just too much for me to swallow in one payment. I think 4 boxes of 3 disks each @ $75-80 per box would be an ideal size, but I'd also take it as just 2 boxes of six disks each @ $125-150. But these suggestions are only in addition to, not instead of, offering the full set for those that are willing to buy it all in one big chunk (and perhaps 3 to 6 months after the release of the full set, as an incentive to get it that way).

Last edited by Tenchi on Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:51 pm Reply with quote
...but this one has nothing to do with Zac.

Quote:
I don't know if you've seen the Those Who Hunt Elves DVD (vol. 1) but there is a lot of grammatical errors.

It's amusing because he wrote to Zac to complain about grammatical errors, yet he made one himself in this sentence. It should read:

Quote:
I don't know if you've seen the Those Who Hunt Elves DVD (vol. 1) but there are a lot of grammatical errors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chi Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Heh, that was pretty hilarious when I read it. Just goes to show that everyone is a hypocrite.
Smile

And give Zac a break people. It's not easy answering all of those questions week after week, it's a lot of hard work. If the question was actually that obvious, the questioner should have just went straight to AE's page in the first place.

And big whoop if you didn't get credited for correcting a stupid little mistake. Nobody cares. Maybe when you actually make a REAL contribution to the site, then you'll get your name in lights. But until then, quit whining, and pipe up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1