• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Brazilian Team Wins 2008 World Cosplay Summit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Moreira Rocha Campos? what a name lol
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess asking for a bit of class would be asking for too much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Watched about six of the videos. Everyones costume looked great. Must have been a tough call. Congrats to Brazil! Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
i think this is the second time Brazil won this thing.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, I didn't realize the summit was held in Nagoya! Was it held there yesterday? I definitely could have gone and seen the parade last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
How the hell did the USA Team go from "good" to bad in the span of one performance? I thought they were doing a bad Sailor Moon performance before another site said it was a JoJo performance. As if their prelim one wasn't abit better....

Germany: Learn to use ribbons in dancing.

And what was with all the large props this year? Also, I demand an inquiry, Plastic Surgery should be banned as not conforming to the rules.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

And what was with all the large props this year? Also, I demand an inquiry, Plastic Surgery should be banned as not conforming to the rules.

Not if you do it yourselves, though.... Ouch!

Anyway, I was there in person, and the winners deserved it. The Brazillian team's outfits, and the performance from within it, was very impressive.

The girl was nice and sexy, had very accurate body paint as well as fitted leather pants and perfect gun props, but the real thing was the mech suit her partner was in.

Not only did it take actual battle damage during the skit, with smoke jets timed to the soundtrack and then an arm getting blown off, complete with flashing LED electronics underneath. But the acting from within the suit was really good. The guy is on stilts, in a full costume, in 95+ degree heat, and yet his movements aren't as stiff as the usual "guy in robot suit" cosplay you see. When he got "hit" he flew backwards appropriately from the blow, etc.

Compared to the other performances, theirs had almost no plot (one group tried to do all of Romeo and Juliet in 3 minutes.... (singapore, if I recall)), and no dialog, it was just a 3 minute mock battle. Sure, if you want 2 girls kissing, that's entertaining, but it's not COSPLAY (actually that group did win the special prize, but they had really good timing and acting and their outfits were perfect, if not a bit simple since they came straight from Clamp's design).
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Yeah, because, in Latin America, we don't forget our Mother's last name. ¬¬
YoungCloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Yeah, because, in Latin America, we don't forget our Mother's last name. ¬¬

Exactly. In the US and most of the European countries, if I'm not mistaken, the middle name is made up by the parents, while here in South America (I'm Brazilian, by the way) the middle name is our mother's last name. Sometimes, the child can also get the father's middle name, and thus having three names beside their first name.

But I, for example, have only three, the first name, middle name (my mom's maiden name) and last name (my father's last name).

Well, anyway, congrats to Jessica and Gabriel. I've already seen Jessica on TV around here, she seems pretty nice.
SaraFilipa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
Congrats to the Brazilian team. Very Happy They looked GOOD.

And about the names... I must emphasize the fact that in a LOT of european countries the tradition to keep your mother's maiden name is very much alive. I have both my mother's and my dad's last name, plus two common first names, thus making it four of them... I'm from Portugal btw, therefore I'm not so sure about eastern europe.
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
I wish my name was compiled in numbers and/or shapes and colors.

This year looked like it was really fun, but there are a few that seemed to take this way to seriously. It just kind of dampens the spirit of the whole thing to me. Just be yourself, kids. You can't get more honest love than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
I wish my name was compiled in numbers and/or shapes and colors.

This year looked like it was really fun, but there are a few that seemed to take this way to seriously. It just kind of dampens the spirit of the whole thing to me. Just be yourself, kids. You can't get more honest love than that.

When the "Summit" is rigged to hell, how can people be themselves? Heck, there's even allegations that China and Korea have teams of people working behind the scenes for them.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
The whole thing is a PR tactic anyway. There are no cosplay competitions in Japan. There aren't even masquerades (which are, oddly enough, the biggest events of many US cons). If you want to cosplay, you dress up and go hang outside the con. That's it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
article wrote:
Update: The World, a radio program from the BBC, PRI, and WGBH, has posted a video interview with Renee Gloger of the American team. Thanks, Peter Tatara.

It is not a video interview, it is audio only.

Also the interviewer sounds pissed, like it is so far beneath her to be doing that interview.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Someone needs to teach these teams how to do an entertaining cosplay performance. I've seen far better at anime cons, and that's really sad. But then, this is WCS which is not known for quality anyhow.

But really, I saw few that had decent choreography. At least one team tried to be funny with a YGO skit,... too bad it really wasn't all that funny in the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2