• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Details on New Black Jack Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:12 pm Reply with quote
If it's anything like the Star Wars prequels being written by Lucas's kids, then it'll suck.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Doubt it, as in this case it's not daddy giving them the project, but an established filmmaker doing a sort of tribute to one of the more personal works. Tezuka wanted to be Black Jack, and Black Jack acts as Tezuka's unexpressed wishes.
Anyway, what will be far more interesting is if it is closer to existing Anime, or the original manga in designs. I could see the simple Tezuka designs working, but I did love the OVA designs as well.
msoftceo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Side note: Say Hello to Blackjack actually has nothing to do with Tezuka's Black Jack, aside for that they're both about doctors.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit early to decide weither it will suck or not. The recent Hino Tori was a good (though of course not comparable to the manga), so hopefully this will follow suit. I pray it won't be the same situation over at the Kurosawa estate, with his masterpiece being turned into crap.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:46 pm Reply with quote
msoftceo wrote:
Side note: Say Hello to Blackjack actually has nothing to do with Tezuka's Black Jack, aside for that they're both about doctors.

Except that the title of Say Hello to Black Jack is a homage to Black Jack, and much of the manga Tezuka, imho, would approve of. It is, however, it's own story and quite separate to the Black Jack world.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:09 am Reply with quote
Say Hello to Black Jack is actually very good. The name is more of a tribute to Tezuka, and the manga itself is much more of a realistic drama that the original Black Jack.
Mistress-Samwise

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If it's anything like the Star Wars prequels being written by Lucas's kids, then it'll suck.

If it sucks, then I'm going to throw myself offa bridge.

Seriously, I can already tell it's going to be good. Aside from the fact that it's more of the renegade surgeon I love so very, very much, the character design will remain true to Tezuka's.

My British buddy picked up an Italian anime magazine that contained a DVD of previews, one of which being the up-coming Black Jack anime. She sent me screen caps.

I myself am excited about this new show. I just hope that some American company will be, too, so it'll be licensed as soon as possible!

Daisuke, sensei! Very Happy
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to ask a question...where can I find this article that you talk about? I went to the homepage, but it's not there...I can't find it..but I would watch ANY BlackJack anime that comes out, as long as it is available subbed as well as dubbed.

I just found it, sorry to have bothered...whoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
onizuka_20

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:24 am Reply with quote
Hmm ok, i'm a die hard fan of Black Jack Manga vol. 1-18 anyway, if the anime is based on the manga then it would be GREAT, but i'll be expecting some minor changes in the "surgery scenes" and as their previous remake of astro boy which is quite good with some minor changes in stroyline and plot but still it's good.

I believe that Black Jack is one of the best work of tezuka which is not quite popular in the states but here in Asia it has already have a good reputation. Very Happy

So i'll be expecting the release of the first episode!!! (CAN'T WAIT!!!) hehe
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1