• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Baku to the Future

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Hachen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
A small mistake in the Durarara vol. 1 review - "Meanwhile, artist Yasuda takes the occasional shortcut of leaving out..."

Yasuda Suzuhito is the original character designer (the one who did the art for the light novels.) Satorigi Akiyo is the name that should be there Smile
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Gee, I really need to read Bakuman...
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
My pet peeve with Bakuman is: despite how it ekes genuine interest and wonder from the technical aspects of creating manga, every one of the authors feels awfully detached from their series' characters.

Much is said about timing plot twists with precision and how to craft visually unique character designs, but I never get the feeling that they care to make the people starring in their stories organic or at least relatable. I think that in all eight volumes I've read only one person has said he feels a little attached to his characters, but otherwise nary a peep on the subject. Yes, it's abundantly clear that everyone is competing with each other and they must put timeliness and spectacle above actual story telling, but is this the way both Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata perceive the process of making characters? It makes the overall work less enjoyable the more I think about it.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The ending of "Chrono Crusade" was a hot mess. Not really a worthy title for recommendation...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
Nadare Xizos wrote:
The ending of "Chrono Crusade" was a hot mess. Not really a worthy title for recommendation...

I must respectfully disagree, my friend. I thoroughly enjoyed the finale of the manga. It remains one of the few series that succeeded in making me cry (and not in a bad way). I'm happy to see it brought back into the spotlight, so to speak.
With any luck his other series World Embryo will still get to be released stateside one of these days. *crosses fingers*

Glad to hear DRRR!!'s manga got such a favorable review; I was worried based on some fans' opinions of it compared to the anime or novels. I'll absolutely support it if it holds up. I want those novels brought over, consarnit. This is just one more avenue to enjoy Narita's crazy, memorable worlds.

As for Bakuman., for all its faults, I'm still supporting and following this manga. And I'll be the first to admit how much glee I took in Nakai getting called out on his BS in this volume, both figuratively and physically. Rolling Eyes
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
Nadare Xizos wrote:
Compare it to the ending of the (Gonzo animated) anime and tell me that with a stright face.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
I enjoy Chrono Crusade and have all 8 volumes of the manga. I have not seen the anime but i won't watch it because it was animated by Gonzo(who are infamous of ruining animes based on mangas) and the tone of the anime is very dark and depressing compare to the manga which was hopeful despite the ever increasing odds the protagonists faced. (Also most of the Sinners are portrayed sympathetically and not all of them are evil and spoiler[some characters did survive compare to their anime counterparts]).

If your looking for copies of this great manga, Singapore Publisher Chuang Yi are still selling the manga over here.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I tend to agree a bit with Eric P. about "Chrono Crusade." The manga's interesting because we have demon fighting manga set in the United States. I have the anime version of this and I wish it were a lot less gloomy. Still,it's an interesting manga and I hope there's something similar coming soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1