Nintendo Sees 13.7% Increase in Sales in Fiscal Year 2019, Reveals Sales Data for Switch Console/Games
posted on by Crystalyn Hodgkins
Nintendo revealed on Thursday its year-end report for the fiscal year that ended on March 31. The company saw net sales of 1.2005 trillion yen (about US$10.7 billion), a 13.7% increase from last year. The company saw an operating profit of 249.7 billion yen (about US$2.232 billion, up 40.6% from last year), and an ordinary profit of 277.3 billion yen (about US$2.479 billion, up 39.1% from last year). The company stated it earned a profit of 194.0 billion yen (about US$1.734 billion).
Nintendo sold 16.95 million Nintendo Switch consoles in the fiscal year (a 12.7% increase from last year), and 118.55 million Nintendo Switch software units (an 86.7% increase from last year). The company sold 2.55 million Nintendo 3DS consoles (a 60.2% decrease) and 13.22 million Nintendo 3DS software units (a 62.9% decrease).
Nintendo has sold a total of 5.95 million combined units of its NES Classic Edition and Super NES Classic Edition.
Nintendo also revealed it has sold a total of 34.74 million Nintendo Switch units worldwide as of March 31, and 75.08 million Nintendo 3DS units. The company also revealed lifetime sales data for its top sellers on Nintendo Switch (including downloadable versions):
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 16.69 million copies
- Super Mario Odyssey: 14.44 million copies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 13.81 million copies
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 12.77 million copies
- Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!: 10.63 million copies
- Splatoon 2: 8.70 million copies
- Super Mario Party: 6.40 million copies
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 3.31 million copies
- 1-2-Switch: 2.97 million copies
- Mario Tennis Aces: 2.64 million copies
- Kirby Star Allies: 2.56 million copies
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: 2.25 million copies
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: 1.18 million copies
- Octopath Traveler: 1.17 million copies
- Yoshi's Crafted World: 1.11 million copies
- Nintendo Labo Toy Con 01: Variety Kit: 1.09 million copies
Nintendo predicts it will see net sales of 1.25 trillion yen in the fiscal year ending on March 31, 2020. The company forecasts it will see an operating profit of 260 billion yen, and an ordinary profit of 260 billion yen. The company expects to sell 18 million Switch units, and 125 million Switch software units.
Reuters technology reporter Sam Nussey stated on Twitter on Thursday that Nintendo CEO Shuntaro Furukawa stated in the briefing that the company has no plans to announce new hardware at the E3 industry show this June. The Bloomberg financial news website had reported on Wednesday that its sources stated Nintendo will launch a "cheaper" version of the Switch by the end of June, with a "modest upgrade" also planned for the console.
Sam Nussey news via Gematsu