Nogizaka46's New Sailor Moon Musical Runs in Shanghai in November
posted on by Alex Mateo
The official website for the Sailor Moon franchise revealed on Wednesday that the Nogizaka46 idol group's stage musical will get a run in Shanghai, China at the Majestic Theatre from November 22-24. The website also revealed that the play's new run in Tokyo will be held at Tokyo City Dome Hall from October 10-14.
Both performance runs will have the same cast. The new main cast includes:
(from left to right in image above)
- Junna Itō (Nogizaka46) as Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter
- Hazuki Mukai (Nogizaka46) as Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
- Shiori Kubo (Nogizaka46) as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon
- Seira Hayakawa (Nogizaka46) as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars
- Mayu Tamura (Nogizaka46) as Minako Aino/Sailor Venus
The supporting cast members reprising their roles from the previous musical include:
- Mikako Ishii (Setsuna Meiō/Sailor Pluto in previous musicals) as Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru Chiba
- Nami Tamaki as Queen Beryl
- Chihiro Andō as Kunzite
- Sari Kojima as Zoisite
- Shin as Nephrite
- Rina Takeda as Jadeite
- Yuka Yamauchi as Naru Osaka
- Marina Tanoue as Gurio Umino
- Misato Matsumoto as Luna (puppet operator)
- Mai Shiraishi as Queen Serenity (video performance)
The previous stage musical from Nogizaka46 ran at The Tennōzu Galaxy Theatre in Tokyo in June 2018, and at the TBS Akasaka ACT Theater in Tokyo in September 2018.
The recent Sailor Moon series of musicals began with Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon -La Reconquista- in 2013 to celebrate the manga's 20th anniversary. The fourth of the stage musicals, Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon -Le Mouvement Final-, ran in Japan from September to October 2017. The musical's final performance, recorded on October 1, 2017 in Osaka, screened in theaters in the United States in March 2018, and also screened in theaters in Canada in early April 2018.
The Sailor Moon The Super Live stage performance show had a preview run at AiiA 2.5 Theater Tokyo last August and September, before having performances at the Palais des congrès de Paris last November as part of the Japonismes 2018 event in Paris, France. The show had a United States run in March.
The new stage musical in the franchise originally planned to debut in summer 2019 has been delayed to summer 2020. The musical is titled Kaguya-hime no Koibito, the same title as a short manga that was adapted into the Sailor Moon S: The Movie anime film.