• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Modern Guilt

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
one weird, arty, silly manly magazine with crazy manga about crazy people doing insane things followed by big beefy guys punching each other into bloody, meaty chunks.

There are no words for how much I want this magazine. Anime cry
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
kamidai wrote:
Quote:
one weird, arty, silly manly magazine with crazy manga about crazy people doing insane things followed by big beefy guys punching each other into bloody, meaty chunks.

There are no words for how much I want this magazine. Anime cry

You guys need to read Manly Guys Doing Manly Things. In fact, everyone should. Now.

I don't think my pile of shame is particularly big. My videogame one, on the other hand, is enormous. I grossly underestimated first year in college's ability to suck all my time.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I felt bad watching fansubs of Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece.

But then Viz and Funimation started releasing the official subs and I fully support them now. Thanks Crunchyroll, Hulu, internet, and new media.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Brian, you give some good answers, you really do, but I have to disagree with you on one thing: There is lack of creativity is some mediums. I've seen it. Every medium is going to have their small pile of rubbish. Besides that, again, you do give good answers.

That flake of the week would make a good, crazy anime rap song. I'd say someone should perform it at a convention, but I don't know if they were condemning anime, or if they were praising it or just simply rapping about it?
Zade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My point is that the reality of creativity is that, well, honestly, a good portion of the stuff you'll be writing (or drawing, or singing, or anything) at an early stage in your career is going to be crap.

Hmm... I can't help but disagree with you Answerman. I don't know whether you really meant that, but I don't believe a person's ability to be "creative" (to create good stories/plots/ideas) has anything to do with their ability to write good. To be honest, it sounds like your just advocating style over substance.

Quote:
Also, a good writer is a good writer, no matter the assignment. It's important, especially if you "fancy yourself a storyteller," to be just as comfortable writing something short and brief as something long and ponderous. You should be able to create an interesting story with just two characters at a table for ten pages just as easily as you can create an interesting ten volume fantasy series about dragons.

This seems like sophistry. Seriously, just how good do you believe someone could make "two characters at a table for ten pages?" While, sure, someone could make that entertaining, do you really think they could make it, you know, unique or impressive? It'd still be generic in my book.

Yet you advocate and practice refining your work. Which means you recognize writing stuff to write makes it generic... So I don't understand...

Seriously though, assuming you can't pick both, which 1 do you think is better? Continually presenting new content? Or making something great? Or alternatively style or substance?

Last edited by Zade on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:15 am; edited 6 times in total
rockman nes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
... because what rational adult would want to read comic books for stupid kids and maladjusted sociopaths?

I know he didn't mean it that seriously, but this is the first thing that came to mind when he said that..
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
Brian wrote:
... because what rational adult would want to read comic books for stupid kids and maladjusted sociopaths?

I know he didn't mean it that seriously, but this is the first thing that came to mind when he said that..

lol I love blowshimselfupdude! I wonder if he posts here, he seems like that kind of person (not meant as an insult!)
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Erm...Trapeze does occasionally have boobs. To be precise, they can't show the nurse Mayumi (made with real footage of the idol Yumi Sugimoto) without at least one look at her cleavage. Her chest may be realistically sized and not made of water balloons, but service is service.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Even within the animation industry, the saying goes like "your first 10,000 drawings will be crap, so might as well get 'em out of the way" (meaning keep drawing, and then draw some more). The more you do something, you become more and more polished and grind the rough edges.
Zade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote
You know, the most damning thing about me believing in quality over quantity is that, even in practice, I'm probably wrong:

http://www.cracked.com/article_17221_6-writers-who-accidentally-crapped-out-masterpieces.html
Vapors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Brian, you give some good answers, you really do, but I have to disagree with you on one thing: There is lack of creativity is some mediums. I've seen it. Every medium is going to have their small pile of rubbish. Besides that, again, you do give good answers.

That flake of the week would make a good, crazy anime rap song. I'd say someone should perform it at a convention, but I don't know if they were condemning anime, or if they were praising it or just simply rapping about it?

Don't be too impressed. The flake simply lifted DMX's "Where the Hood At" and placed in anime here and there. Seriously, he didn't even bother to rewrite some of the lines to match any anime theme or mention any characters or shows, just the word anime. It's a simple copy and paste. Lazy!
Spinal Cord Fluid-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I'll start to feel bad about reading scanlations when they start publishing stuff I like (crazy dark f***** up s***), The whole viz+ikki thing was such a disappointment (RIP Pulp), The closest I can get is the stuff by D&Q and Vertical, I really hope Velveteen & Mandala does well for them but I fear the average mango consumer will be too close minded to even give it a look.

Quote:
Evangelion or Elfen Lied or other "adult oriented"

Lol. Laughing
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about the Answerman's answer to the scanlation question. I think that it it isn't licensed and you read scanlations then I guess you could get away with it. But if you like it and it does become available here then I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. Now if you thought it was a piece of sh*t and you hated it then there may be some room for debate there.

My oh my what a perfect Answerman question, because I just bought two titles specifically because they were in my pile of shame! They are Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Akira, the two titles where everyone says if you haven't watched these you're somehow not a true anime fan. If anything I bought these to shut them up. A couple of other titles in that list are S-Cry-Ed and Ghost in the Shell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Would the answerfans question include anime we've seen very little of and haven't gotten around to? I've done that alot, a perfect example of this would be Durarara. I can;t remember that well, but I think I saw the first episode sometime in the early summer, and I'm still only saw up to the 8th ep.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Zade wrote:

Hmm... I can't help but disagree with you Answerman. I don't know whether you really meant that, but I don't believe a person's ability to be "creative" (to create good stories/plots/ideas) has anything to do with their ability to write good. To be honest, it sounds like your just advocating style over substance.

Both substance and style are important in writing. It doesn't matter if you have the greatest story ever, if what you write reads like crap no one will want to read it and it will quickly sink to the bottom.

Zade wrote:

This seems like sophistry. Seriously, just how good do you believe someone could make "two characters at a table for ten pages?" While, sure, someone could make that entertaining, do you really think they could make it, you know, unique or impressive? It'd still be generic in my book.

...you haven't read many of Asimov's short stories have you? or any good short stories in general?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2