• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Past, you're still missing a pick for A-11 (Date vs Brandon)
Thanks for the reminder.
Sorry for being difficult.
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika Such an interesting and rich supporting character. I think one of the main reasons why she won the last tournaments was her powerful presence, and her ability to induce fear and terror so effortlessly.

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.
Naomi Armitage, Armitage III franchise

Kambei Shimba

Group A-3
Izumi Curtis, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi Curtis

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.
Nanashi, Sword of the Stranger

Eikichi Onizuka A bit conflicted on this one since Onizuka is anything but a cool guy from the general cool angle. He is also very awkward and is the butt of many jokes. That being said, he has many moments of badassery that more than make up for his overall lack of dignity. He's also the type of person that you want to root for despite being terribly stupid and impulsive. I'm just a little curious to see whether people will take his lack of coolness as a serious weakness when he is labeled as a badass. I probably will later on, but no one has clarified if we should as a part of the criteria.

Group A-5
Michiko Malandro , Michiko to Hatchin
vs.
Johannes Krauzer II, Detroit Metal City

Michiko Malandro She has an interesting guide entry and there have been arguments questioning if Krauzer should be here in the first place.

Group A-6
Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Hideo Kuze, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Roy Mustang

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Deunan Knute, Appleseed franchise

Simon

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Nanoha Takemachi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Guts Easily one of the strongest bad ass archetypes in this tournament. He's also not as unlikable as some of the other stronger badasses, so I think he should go far.

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa

Group A-10
Claire Stanfield, Baccano!
vs.
Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld, Code Geass

Claire Stanfield Claire by a wide margin. Unrelenting, uninhibited, but strangely calm and calculating. I think he straddles the areas of both being generally cool and a total badass.

Group A-11
Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara
vs.
Brandon/Beyond the Grave, Gungrave

Brandon

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Black Jack Like Dorcas_Aurelia, I seriously don't see the appeal for Haruko's character. I'm also a bit surprised that a character that's not only not that appealing but hardly a badass is making this match competetive with such a classic force such as Black Jack.

Sure, he doesn't have an overpowering craziness or overly aggressive presence like other badasses. Also, the grim circumstances that he overcomes time and time again should count for something. Haruko seems more random than anything menacing or badass. Being uncontrollable and spastic aren't really top qualities of a badass. Badassery needs to be focused towards something, and that focus isn't there for Haruko. She's also a self-indulgent type of character, and that doesn't really earn her any cool points.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi Zaraki Kenpachi may be a simple character, but his thirst for blood, and a good fight make it clear that he's a badass not to be underestimated.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.
Shiki Ryougi, Kara no Kyokai

Roronoa Zoro

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Shichika Yasuri, Kanagatari

Mugen Shichika seems worthy enough, but there's a reason why Mugen had so many nominations. He practically breathes badassery in his actions, attitude and presence. If it wasn't for the fact that this group had so many heavy hitters, I would say he would easily be a shoe-in to win this group if not make it to the finals. Even with the tough competition, I could still see it happening.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

My vote goes to: Balalaika.

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

My vote goes to: Kambei Shimba.

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

My vote goes to: Izumi Curtis.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

My vote goes to: Nanashi.

Group A-5
Michiko Malandro, Michiko to Hatchin
vs.

My vote goes to: Michiko Malandro.

Group A-6
vs.

My vote goes to: Roy Mustang.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Simon's character development from a whimpering weakling to a savior of humanity is a sight to behold. A certain event is the catalyst which starts his change from a wimp to the eventual leader that saves the universe. At that point, he is Simon the Child no more but transforms into Simon, Leader of Team Dai-Gurren.

When all seems lost, Simon channels the spirit of his aniki to reinvigorate his crew's morale to drill through the heavens.

My vote goes to: Simon.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

My vote goes to: Guts.

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

My vote goes to: Teresa.

Group A-10
vs.

My vote goes to: Claire Stanfield.

Group A-11
vs.

My vote goes to: Date Masamune.

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Granted that being a doctor is not considered badass but this is Black Jack here. I have not seen the anime but some of his exploits in the manga are just ridiculous.

In one story, he visits some rich thinks-he-is-better-than-you guy and is stuck inside an impenetrable self-locking safe. Their air supply is dwindling by the minute. While everyone in the safe panics, Black Jack formulates a plan to open the safe.

These rich donkeys promise to pay Black Jack handsomely if he saves them. With his doctor's tools on hand, he finds a weak spot inside the safe and uses it to save the group. Like a bunch of bags, they claim it was a in-the-moment thing to say when their life is in danger.

What does Black Jack do? He turns his back to the "powerless" and just walks. In a way, Black Jack represents righteous stoic justice or in other words, total badass.

My vote goes to: Black Jack.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

My vote goes to: Saber.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

My vote goes to: Roronoa Zoro.

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

My vote goes to: Hei.

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Mugen is the complete opposite of JIn. He is uneducated, wild, and dare I say, feral. His swordsmanship is improvised and undisciplined. Yet, his determination to slay those before him is unparalleled.

On a few occasions, he fights those whose level are beyond him. He retreats not but faces his challenge with steely vigor. With a few near-death experiences as a result, he becomes a stronger and wiser swordsman. Okay, maybe not the wiser part.

But the truth stands, his unique style has slain some of the toughest opponents the Shogunate has sent for the traveling group.

My vote goes to: Mugen.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
Vote for: Balalaika
I've never seen Black Lagoon, but based on the guide entry for her and some of the comments in this thread, I'd say she's the stronger candidate. Oh, and by the way, her pic's broke.

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.
Vote for: Naomi Armitage
Haven't seen either series so just had to go by the guide entry and some of the comments. I'm not attatched to this vote, so make a good argument for Kambei and I might change.

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir
Vote for: Izumi Curtis
Ok, haven't seen Noir sadly, but I haven't seen any comments that convince me that Mirielle deserves to win this round.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.
Vote for: Eikichi Onizuka
Haven't seen either series, so going by guide entries, comments, and stuff I've heard about the series/characters before.

Group A-5
vs.
Vote for: Michiko
See above.

Group A-6
vs.
Vote for: Roy Mustang
Yay, actually seen both shows, though I haven't seen all of Brotherhood. Tough choice, but I give Roy a slight edge in this match.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Vote for: Simon
Even though the early episodes and some of his flaws hurt Simon a bit in this tournament, he's still a strong enough character to make it through this round I think.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Vote for: Guts
There have been some compelling arguments in Nanoha's favor, but in the end it's still not enough to make me vote against Guts at this point.

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl
Vote for: Teresa
Triela does seem pretty cool from what I've seen of the first season of Gunslinger Girl, and I heard she takes center stage in the second season. But this is Teresa. Maybe my huge Claymore fandom is making me biased, but Teresa is freaking awesome, and deserves to win this whole bracket. Ok, that's not quite true... maybe. But she gets this round's vote at least.

Group A-10
vs.
Vote for: Claire Stanfield
He's not my favorite character from Baccano! but I definitely think he's stronger than Kallen. I still need to see all of R2, but Kallen didn't strike me as particularly bad-ass most of the time. Maybe by comparison to the rest of the main cast, but that's not saying much.

Group A-11
vs.
Vote for: Date Masamune
Haven't seen either series, but Date sounds so insanely awesome he makes me want to check SB right now.

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL
Vote for: Black Jack
I've saw some bits of pieces of FLCL a while back. Haruko struck me as more annoying than bad-ass or cool. I know, I know, legions of FLCL fans want my blood now. I'll probably need to re-watch the whole series some day to see if my opinion remains the same, but for now Black Jack kind of wins this by defeat.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night
Vote for: Kenpachi Zaraki
I wrote the guide entry for Zaraki, see it for my reasons for voting for him.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.
Vote for: Roronoa Zoro
Why the heck did such a seemingly strong candidate get paired with Zoro in the first round? Crying or Very sad I wrote the guide entry for Zoro, but there are a thousand reasons why he deserves to go on. He's probably one of the strongest contenders in this entire bracket.

Don't believe me? When I was vainly going through Hulu's One Piece episodes trying to find a good pic for Zoro while half asleep, I was reminded of countless things that I had completely forgotten.

Like when he was fighting a swordsman/acrobat that was taking advantage of a injury Zoro had on his side. Frustrated with the guys actions, Zoro finally stood up and purposely let the guy ram his sword right into the center of his previous wound, asked if he had provided enough of a handicap for the guy now, and then proceeded to crush the him anyways.

Or when he was fighting a group bounty hunters and found himself facing a hulking strongwoman who's brute strength was highest among the group. The strongwoman attempted to crush Zoro's skull... Zoro smiled and proceeded to not even bother using his swords, taking her out through his brute strength in mere seconds. Then he looked at the rest of the bounty hunters watching the scene in terror and made a bad-ass comment in a cool poise with some blood streaming down his face.

Or how about when he was trying to buy a sword, and encountered a shop that had a cursed sword. The shopkeeper insisted that it was a mistake that the sword had been put out, that he couldn't possibly sell something like it, but Zoro decided to test which was stronger, his luck or the swords curse. This test involved holding his arm out and sending the sword spinning into the air so that when it fell, it would either chop off his arm or spin in just the right way to avoid it. A bit nuts, but bad-ass in a crazy way.

I could go on for pages, and that's just with the exclusively bad-ass examples. Zoro is a strong choice, let's say.

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed
Vote for: Hei
Seen both series, though it's been years since I've seen sCryed. Kazuma was a bad-ass if I remember correctly, but he lacks a certain general awesomeness that Hei has in addition to being a bad-ass. His hobo period in the sequel isn't (yet) enough for me to vote against him, though it will hurt him in later rounds.

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Vote for: Mugen
I've seen Samurai Champloo, and the comments/guide for Shichika don't convince me he's a stronger candidate.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, am I behind in getting votes tallied! (I haven't even looked at them beyond the first few at the time I write this.) But at least everything's pretty much set up for the later rounds, so I guess I better finally get around to voting myself.

Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

No contest. Tsume might have a chance against weaker competition, but Balalaika makes much too much of an impression.

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Sticking with Armitage because I nominated her and because the fact that she has an emotional side doesn't make her any less bad-ass.

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Of the two Noir candidates, Mireille is the weaker one by far. I don't like Izumi for the long run but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt here.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Nanashi did make an impression, but Onizuka's rep is just too strong.

Group A-5
vs.

Not familiar with either. Based on Guide entries, I give Krauzer the edge.

Group A-6
vs.

No question here. Kuze certainly has his merits, but Mustang deserves to win at least one round for his battle with Lust alone.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Nasty choice here, but Deunan Knute gets the edge because she has fewer moments of weakness.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Going entirely on reputation, Guts.

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Not a contest for me. Teresa's power and skill are overwhelming and her attitude is strong enough that Clare cracking her emotional shell doesn't give her a penalty.

Group A-10
vs.

Kallen has her moments, but the despicable Claire simply has more of them. He is bad-ass in a frightful sense.

Group A-11
vs.

Don't know either, so I go with the more bad-ass name: Beyond the Grave.

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

I don't like Haruko for the long run, but she gets the win here.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

No question here. Few anime characters more embody the bad-ass persona than Zaraki does.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Gotta give creds to a character who fights with three swords. Roronoa Zoro.

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

I like both of these characters a lot, but in a pissing match between them Kazuma wins for having the more fully-developed bad-ass persona. Few characters in anime take bad-assery more to heart as a life's philosophy than Kazuma does.

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Cool as he is, Shichika is woefully outmatched here. Mugen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Quick score update:

Match A-1: Balalaika leads 29-4.

Match A-2: Kambei Shimba leads 18-15.

Match A-3: Izumi Curtis leads 24-9.

Match A-4: Eikichi Onizuka leads 24-9.

Match A-5: Michiko Malandro leads 20-13.

Match A-6: Roy Mustang leads 29-4. (Greatly underestimated Roy for this match in my mini-game! Laughing )

Match A-7: Simon leads 19-14.

Match A-8: Guts leads 28-5.

Match A-9: Teresa leads 23-10.

Match A-10: Claire Stanfield leads 30-3.

Match A-11: Brandon Heat leads 18-15.

Match A-12: Black Jack leads 17-16.

Match A-13: Kenpachi Zaraki leads 26-7.

Match A-14: Rorouna Zoro leads 18-15.

Match A-15: Hei leads 24-9.

Match A-16: Mugen leads 28-5.

Here's a question regarding Match A-12, how are some people thinking of Black Jack as a badass? Sure he appears to be somewhat menacing with appearance. But he doesn't strike me as someone who is charismatic, full of himself with his abilities, and/ or having the over-the-top personality that someone like Haruko has.

Quote:
Badassery needs to be focused towards something, and that focus isn't there for Haruko.

Haruko's goal in FLCL was spoiler[to wreck havoc on Medical Mechanica and obtain the power of Atomsk from Canti and Naota. I'd say that was just cause for showing off badassery.]

Quote:
She's also a self-indulgent type of character, and that doesn't really earn her any cool points.

Not meaning to disrespect you, but this claim seems contradictory when you've voted for Claire who holds no allegiances on board the train he was doing his murders upon and all of his acts were self-indulgent as he got great glee out of killing any criminals aboard, especially his treatment of spoiler[immortal Czelslaw.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Here's a question regarding Match A-12, how are some people thinking of Black Jack as a badass? Sure he appears to be somewhat menacing with appearance. But he doesn't strike me as someone who is charismatic, full of himself with his abilities, and/ or having the over-the-top personality that someone like Haruko has.

Being over-the-top alone doesn't make one badass, and Haruko isn't nearly so much charismatic as she is loud and obnoxious.

Quote:
Quote:
Badassery needs to be focused towards something, and that focus isn't there for Haruko.

Haruko's goal in FLCL was spoiler[to wreck havoc on Medical Mechanica and obtain the power of Atomsk from Canti and Naota. I'd say that was just cause for showing off badassery.]

Haruko didn't care one way or the other about Medical Mechanic. spoiler[When Eyebrows rants and raves about them ironing planets flat, she responds with little more than a whatever. A badass would take them out because they exist. And wanting Atomsk's power may be ambitious, and potentially badass, but what does she intend to do with it? Dick around the rest of the universe like she does in Japan?] Kind of lame.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Haruko isn't nearly so much charismatic as she is loud and obnoxious.

She snagged along Naota and his father onto her fingers with her charm to further along her own plans, which has to account for something.

Quote:
Haruko didn't care one way or the other about Medical Mechanic.

The robots summoned up from the plant regarded the gal as a threat since spoiler[she was trying to free Atomsk] and she showed enough care to want to spoiler[crash into it to have a look into things during episode 2.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Just as a general FYI, the preliminary vote totals Ggultra2764 posted a few posts back do include one set of votes in danger of being DQed for not meeting the "must justify at least one match" requirement. That will definitely have an effect on the close matches if it happens.

And we do still have at least four matches that I would consider close enough to be in play even at this point (and a couple of those get even tighter if the one person is DQed), so late votes could make a difference this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group A: The Bad-Asses is now closed.

No one tried to sneak in any votes at the last minute this time - not sure if that's a good sign or not. Anyway, with one vote DQed for failing to make an argument on any match-up and thus 32 official votes, the results are as follows:

A-1: Balalaika crushes Tsume 28-4.
A-2: Kambei Shimba squeaks by Armitage, 17-15.
A-3: Izumi Curtis defeats Mireille Bouquet, 24-8.
A-4: Eikichi Onizuka defeats Nanashi 24-8.
A-5: Michiko Malandro beats Johannes Krauzer II 20-12.
A-6: Roy Mustang burns Hideo Kuze 28-4.
A-7: Simon takes out Deunan Knute 19-13.
A-8: Guts slices and dices Nanoha 28-5.
A-9: Teresa defeats Triela 23-9.
A-10: Claire Stanfield slaughters Kallen Stadtfeld/Kouzuki 29-3 in a bloody mess worthy of the nickname Vino.
A-11: Brandon Heat edge Date Masamune 17-15.
A-12: Black Jack surgically slips by Haruko Haruhara 17-15.
A-13: Kenpachi Zaraki crushes Saber 25-7.
A-14: Rorouna Zoro outduels Shiki Ryougi 17-15.
A-15: Hei stomps Kazuma 23-9.
A-16: Mugen stomps on Shichika 27-5.

The biggest blow-out of the Group was a little surprising (though the fact that Claire won isn't), and I am more than a little surprised at the margin of victory in A-15; Hei is not that much better of a choice than Kazuma, which makes me wonder if the the fact that sCRYed is a few years less fresh didn't work against Kazuma here. The other disappointment for me is seeing Armitage go down this quick, as there wasn't much for strong arguments in favor of her competition. She was, I think, the other highly underrated character in this Group. It was also interesting to watch the ups and downs of the matches; Zoro was behind by quite a bit early on, for instance, and Black Jack also came from behind to win.

Looking ahead, the Teresa/Claire match-up looks like it will be the feature battle of Round 2 for this group; I am not looking forward to having to make that pick.

To clean up a couple of other matters, I will adjust Claire's entry before next round to eliminate reference to a deed of his which does not happen in the anime series. If anyone feels that any of the entries for the surviving characters needs update or rewrites, PM me about it.

Next round should be up shortly.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Looking ahead, the Teresa/Claire match-up looks like it will be the feature battle of Round 2 for this group; I am not looking forward to having to make that pick.

The Simon/Guts match-up will be also be a great one when we get there.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group C: General Cool is now closed.

(NOTE: This Group was originally mislabeled as Group B, hence all of the Bs below.)

Final results can be found here.

Unlike Group A, this Group is a mix of General Cool and Bad-Ass characters, so doing comparisons here may be a little trickier. Don't forget the critical voting rule here: you must provide a substantial argument in at least one match for your votes to count. I had to DQ someone last round for not following that rule, and I hate having to DQ votes, so don't back me into a corner again! I'm warning you!!!

Um, well, anyway, I didn't keep up well with last round because I was trying to get the Guide files done in advance for a change (and they are all done, even through Group D - yay me!). That should change this round, with a Vote Update coming probably on Thursday (if I have time - the Gantz live-action movie is coming to town that night). That also means that, if something is wrong with a particular Guide file, I should be able to correct it more promptly. Also feel free to contribute alternate write-ups for characters via PM if you think the Guide write-ups are crap. (And, frankly, some of them are.)

And BTW, has anyone else noticed how many participants smoke? It has to be more than 10% of the field, maybe more like 15%.

Now on with the voting!

Group B-1
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.
Kanako Watanabe, Star Driver

Group B-2
Letopanyu Spoor, Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise
vs.
Twenty Faces, Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief

Group B-3
C.C., Code Geass
vs.
Allen Schezar, Escaflowne franchise

Group B-4
Medicine Seller, Ayakashi, Mononoke
vs.
Dick Saucer, Dragon Half

Group B-5
Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHolic, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
vs.
Ayumi Himekawa, Glass Mask

Group B-6
The Count, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
vs.
Reki, Haibane Renmei

Group B-7
Nicholas Wolfwod, Trigun
vs.
Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

Group B-8
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton
vs.
Kenji Harima, School Rumble

Group B-9
Akira Tokizawa Eden of the East
vs.
Sai Jounouchi, Angelic Layer

Group B-10
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
vs.
George Koizumi, Paradise Kiss

Group B-11
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
Takuto Tsunashi, Star Driver

Group B-12
Rin Tohsaka, Fate/stay night
vs.
Roy Focker, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross/Robotech

Group B-13
November 11, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Shigure Sohma, Fruits Basket

Group B-14
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena
vs.
Ryoji Kaji, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Group B-15
Reinhard von Lohengramm Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Yuhei Azuma, Cross Game

Group B-16
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.
Soldier Blue, Toward the Terra franchise

Last edited by Key on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
Group B-1

Group B-2

Group B-3

Group B-4

Group B-5

Yuuko would probably be in the semi-finals of The Biggest Anime Boozer Tournament. But besides that, she's coolly elegant, beautiful, possibly deadly and has a wicked sense of humor - usually at Watanuki's expense. She's just plain fun and manages to do most of it in a very laid back manner.
Group B-6

Reki, Haibane Renmei

Group B-7

Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

Group B-8

Group B-9

Group B-10

Fee Carmichal, Planetes

Group B-11

Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach

Group B-12

Group B-13

Group B-14

Group B-15

Group B-16

Roger Smith, The Big O
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Since I actually have time to do it this week, I'll vote early this time.

Group B-1
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.

Kanako sounds like an interesting character, but Kino has too well-established a reputation for coolness to allow Kanako much of a chance here.

Group B-2
vs.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out. COTS is a well-known and respected title around these forums, and Spoor proved her merits as a contender by finishing highly in the Supporting Character tournament, but I'm not sure she's the clear better choice here. Still, I vote for Spoor by a slim margin.

Group B-3
C.C., Code Geass
vs.

No question here. I don't consider C.C. to be all that cool a character, and Allen Schezar has the bishonen lover-boy style to go with his skill. This is a noble guy who can sweep a woman off her feet or defeat almost any foe in a straight-up fight. Even spoiler[the prominent brief fling in his past - with a princess, even, and which likely involving fathering a child! -] is pretty cool, too.

Group B-4
vs.
Dick Saucer, Dragon Half

Can't resist the name or the Guide write-up here: Dick Saucer.

Group B-5
vs.

Based on Guide entries, Yuuko gets the vote.

Group B-6
vs.
Reki, Haibane Renmei

The Count, without question. He has way too many style points on his side and being able to orchestrate such an elaborate revenge scheme is pretty damn cool on its own.

Group B-7
Nicholas Wolfwod, Trigun
vs.
Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

This one could also be interesting, as Kurama sounds like a combatant. Wolfwood is going to be hard to beat, though, and definitely has the cool factor down pat.

Group B-8
vs.

I'm really tempted to vote for Kenji here, but he sacrifices too many cool points in his stupid antics. Taichi Keaton for the win.

Group B-9
vs.

No question here. Akira is a strong contender, and you have to respect a guy who can literally charm the pants off of someone on the street. (The scene with the police officer in episode 1 is also a classic.)

Group B-10
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
vs.

Although I've only seen part of the latter series, I have to give this one to George. As cool as Fee is, she doesn't have half the style points that George does.

Group B-11
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.

Going with the character I know here, but Kyouraku should probably win anyway. Despite limited screen time, he never fails to make an impression as being one supremely cool guy.

Group B-12
vs.

Roy Focker is the epitome of Fighter Pilot cool. That beats Rin's Combatant School Girl cool.

Group B-13
vs.

Tough choice, as Shigure deserves to advance at least one round, but November 11 was the coolest character in DTB, even over Hei. He has too much of that spy/secret agent mojo working to be denied here.

Group B-14
vs.

Tough choice. I really, really want to vote for Kaji here, and will probably change my vote to him if he gets swamped, but Utena has much too much in her favor to not advance this round at least.

Group B-15
vs.
Yuhei Azuma, Cross Game

Another tough choice. I'm not entirely sure I buy Yuhei Azuma as a super-cool dude, but in terms of baseball prowess he's as bad-ass as they come. I expect him to lose but will give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Group B-16
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

By far the toughest choice of the group, as both of these candidates are worthy. Roger Smith has more style, and there's a certain cool factor to piloting a giant mecha like Big O, while Soldier Blue is merely the savior and guardian of his race who accomplishes some immensely cool feats of personal might. I give Roger Smith the tiniest of edges because I think he'll ultimately prove more competitive, but I'm not at all convinced that's the "right" choice.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.

Kino, mainly because I don't know the other character.

Group B-2
vs.

Letopanyu Spoor

Group B-3
C.C., Code Geass
vs.

CC

Group B-4
vs.
Dick Saucer, Dragon Half

Kusuriuri aka Medicine Seller

Group B-5
vs.

Yuuko Ichihara

Group B-6
vs.
Reki, Haibane Renmei

Another first round pair-up of my nominations. Again, it's easy for me. Reki is very, very likeable but the Count just oozes cool. To me villains are just about the most tiresome characters in anime. The Count is one out of the box (or cave, if you prefer).

Group B-7
Nicholas Wolfwod, Trigun
vs.
Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

Nicholas Wolfwood was one of only two things I liked about the painfully boring Trigun. (The other was Millie and definitely not the protagonist.)

Group B-8
vs.

Master Keaton: I've never seen the show but, just from the previews on my DVDs, this man is clearly cool.

Group B-9
vs.

Sai Jounouchi

Group B-10
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
vs.

Fee Charmichael

Group B-11
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.

Kyouraku Shunsui

Group B-12
vs.

Rin Tohsaka

Group B-13
vs.

November 11: His name almost cost him, but I'm voting for that picture.

Group B-14
vs.

Utena Tenjou

Group B-15
vs.
Yuhei Azuma, Cross Game

Tossed a coin: Reinhard von Lohengramm

Group B-16
Roger Smith, The Big O
vs.

Tossed coin again: Roger Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 53