• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Online Anime Video Platform in the UK

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
I would like some clarification here: Is this a platform for viewing 'new'/simulcasting anime in the UK, or one on which UK viewers can see all of the ANN video content that has been geo-locked for us brits?
Rob47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote
This sounds pretty good, can't find so much as a title of whats coming though.
Takuku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting.

Quote:
To clarify too for simulcasts - we're working with the whole UK industry but we're also licensing simulcasts directly Smile

So I guess we're expecting stuff from Manga and the like too?

Quote:
Just about to board our flight from Tokyo to the UK and we just locked in 3 more titles for Anime on Demand's first season!

So at least 3 things too, woo!!!

As long as you don't just rely on Paypal and accept my card unlike Crunchyroll ~ I'll probably give this ago.

Also like the fact I don't have to make a separate account for there too.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:
I would like some clarification here: Is this a platform for viewing 'new'/simulcasting anime in the UK, or one on which UK viewers can see all of the ANN video content that has been geo-locked for us brits?

Kaze are working on completely new licenses (they have 5 in the bag and another near completion) and the service will also, as I understand, be carrying titles from the other UK licensees like Manga and Beez.

I can pull up some quotes if you give me a minute and I don't get any calls.

--edit--

kaze_andrew wrote:
Re: What you see on AoD just now - don't expect it to stay for long. This isn't an aggregation - I've been licensing shows directly for the UK market. I have 5 shows confirmed, 1 awaiting confirmation and some more surprises in store.

That's just the starting simulcast package too - there's more to be announced as it goes on.

So what you're seeing right now is a placeholder video-wise, although we'll retain trailers for everyone on the site too Smile...

Andrew

http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?p=318013#318013

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
So this is the [incoming] streaming platform I heard about before. Interesting. I'll wait to see what are the titles, and if there's at least 2 good ones count me in for a year.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ever wanted a service where you didn't click on a file and find you were geo-filtered out?

This is obviously the case, though it would be requested that the selection rivals that of similarly-priced services available to those who are lucky enough never to have experienced geo-filtering.

It concerns me, therefore, that weekly and seasonal passes are the primary products being advertised, as opposed to a pay-as-you-go option that charges in proportion to use. It is thus hoped that the content fits the price; that the catalogue is either equally extensive with respect to R1 streaming services, or else proportionally cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Is this real? I clicked on the link and saw a red version of the ANN layout and assumed this was an April Fool's joke. I'm really bad at picking up on these things, someone help me out.

(and if it's not fake, can you use it in Ireland?)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
There've been rumblings about this for a while, and the site was first pointed out by Andrew yesterday not today (not sure why it's taken ANN so long to post about it - I thought perhaps they were holding off till the 2nd to avoid these concerns...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jacut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Andrew Partridge, you're seriously awesome ! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
First title confirmed to be Tiger and Bunny, launching tomorrow. They're also adding catalogue title Neuro Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan. For this and other AoD news from Kitakon:

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Tiger_and_Bunny_coming_to_Anime_on_Demand_in_the_UK.html

--edit--
Title correction - see http://twitter.com/animeondemand/status/54547897756295168
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Is this real? I clicked on the link and saw a red version of the ANN layout and assumed this was an April Fool's joke. I'm really bad at picking up on these things, someone help me out.

(and if it's not fake, can you use it in Ireland?)
From that link posted by Shiroi Hane directly above
Quote:
Also confirmed is that Anime on Demand's geographical remit will also include the Republic of Ireland.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1