• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - [Insert Witty Column Title Here]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
Damn that's a lot on the buy it now list, and I'm buying most of them anyway. x_X Yay to Kare First Love finally being out.

Did they mention the word "tengu" in Tactics at all? I'm kind of dissapointed with their going ahead and using the american equivalents to yokai and oni since they mean different things than goblin. Then again tengu have been described as "long nosed crow goblins" before in English translations... *Starts staring at Haruka's nose*

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:57 am Reply with quote
I don't have my copy in front of me right now, but I don't think they used "tengu," just goblin. It would've been confusing had they kept switching between "tengu" and "goblin" throughout the manga.

I'll check on it for sure tomorrow.
Goshin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:40 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
I heartily encourage you to embrace the art because the illustrations only serve to emphasize the purgatorial situation.
Meh. You’re right about that. I didn’t like the artwork at first, (I still sometimes cringe when I see Chiaki) but I’ve warmed up to it for the most part. The plot seemed interesting and the style of the artwork fits the story perfectly. It’s a nice read.

It's a shame it ends at volume 4, though.
Quote:
No one is particularly beautiful and no one is incredibly ugly
Oh, c’mon now…Chiaki looks like an anorexic Olsen twin with short hair. And her face seems like its’ been punched or mangled on every page. I appreciate the artwork, but I know an ugly manga character when I see one. Chiaki has to be the ugliest lead female manga character I’ve ever set my eyes on.

But that’s just me. Wink
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:53 am Reply with quote
Goshin wrote:
Quote:
No one is particularly beautiful and no one is incredibly ugly
Oh, c’mon now…Chiaki looks like an anorexic Olsen twin with short hair. And her face seems like its’ been punched or mangled on every page. I appreciate the artwork, but I know an ugly manga character when I see one. Chiaki has to be the ugliest lead female manga character I’ve ever set my eyes on.

Ok, so she's not the most beautiful of characters. But, you have to admit that in this last volume she looks more like a girl than in the previous three.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll be getting several of those titles tommorow when I pick up my precious "Gon Color Spectacular" I ordered who knows how long ago. I want to continue Chrono Crusade, and I guess I'll pick Loki up. I can't stand the anime, but maybe I'll give Peacemaker a chance.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:11 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Dragon Voices, the Korean boyband Shinhwa has once such member in their ranks. While he can sing properly, I find it interesting when he belts out a bit of a death metal growl/gargle/rasp from time to time. Laughing It's pretty awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
From the description, I think DMP got two really great title: Worst & IWGP. They're certainly on the rise along with thier darkhorse title.

Will likely pick them up.
Gotta skip Only the Ring Fing KNow, doesn't sound that interesting at all.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote
IWGP is great! While I enjoyed Worst a lot, I think I liked the characters for IWGP more. Hana is a riot, though.

Shounen-ai...simply not for everyone, I suppose. But, Only the Ring Finger Knows was really sweet!
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Yup, they also pick up Tenka Musou, inspire by true life event of Hattori Hanzo, the greatest ninja of all time. (he was also in the Samurai Dynasty game).

Thier yaoi line isn't for me, but I guess they have something for everyone.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thier yaoi line isn't for me, but I guess they have something for everyone.

Yes they do, and everyone apparantly includes children who need to be taught about the holocaust. But why not bring the smiling face of Astro Boy in to lighten the mood as the SS takes Anne Frank to a death camp?
I will check IWGP out. Its been a good while since I read a good fighting manga.
Since they're obviously not afraid of putting out manga thats diffrent than what is popular right now in the US, I hope they will bring some more serious, mature things over. I've read about a bunch of mangas that sound greatm but they will never be licenced because they seem rather slow and are pretty realistic from what I've seen. From their recent aquisitions, I think something like Sexy Voice and Robo, which is one of the best unlicenced mangas, would fit perfectly with their other products.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:24 am Reply with quote
Just read the review for worst on AOD. I think the review was very written and makes me want to go buy it even more.
Rah-Rah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah,Loki, Tactics, and Peacemaker are finally out in english. I bought them all today, so I'm happy Very Happy . I also got Hellsing Vol.4, so now I'm just waiting for Berserk Vol.5 and Angel Sancuary Vol.4.
SaiyenGirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I know this topic is almost dead, but I have to say that I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed how Amazing a manga The Demon Ororon is. The end definitely had me gasping, that's for sure, but it's still one of my favorite manga titles of all time.
Now if only TokyoPop would license it's sequel....
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Demon Ororon is a really great series. I had my reservations, but it had won me over by the middle of the first volume. Volume four...ergh...such a tearjerker!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1