• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Aki Sora Manga Books to No Longer Be Printed After July

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Webbmaster62

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Here we go.... I'm telling you if they don't start fighting this again...more of this is gonna happen.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Sounds similar to the Fractale Committee/Funi situation. If they take away the only legal way to read those 2 volumes, they're obviously going to be pirated a million times over.

Especially if they still release the rest of the series, since completists will want to read it all and will turn to the only way to do so.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When asked if these volumes can be released with an adults-only stamp, Itosugi acknowledged that "it is not out of the realm of possibility," but added that these volumes do not meet the criteria for an adults-only stamp.

How does Aki Sora not qualify for an "adults only" stamp?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
"When asked if these volumes can be released with an adults-only stamp, Itosugi acknowledged that "it is not out of the realm of possibility," but added that these volumes do not meet the criteria for an adults-only stamp. He noted that these volumes do not currently have an adults-only stamp. He also emphasized that he did not intend for them to be adults-only and that this manga would have been a completely different work creatively had he drawn it for an adults-only audience."

So they technically AREN'T adult under the new law, but Publishers are treating it like it is

This is the kind of BS I was afraid would start happening, "Technically its not but we should stop it anyway" I'm no fan of Aki Sora but thats Hypocrisy in bold print

Not to mention, its making it seem like because of the nature of the bill its not making it online, which is even bigger crap, not only can you no longer buy it, but you can't see it online legally, but we need to stop printing "Just to be safe", at what point do they realize they are literally flushing money down the toilet for absolutely no gain?

Pathetic, Move out of Tokyo Mangaka, Please
zaeris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
"When asked if these volumes can be released with an adults-only stamp, Itosugi acknowledged that "it is not out of the realm of possibility," but added that these volumes do not meet the criteria for an adults-only stamp. He noted that these volumes do not currently have an adults-only stamp. He also emphasized that he did not intend for them to be adults-only and that this manga would have been a completely different work creatively had he drawn it for an adults-only audience."

So they technically AREN'T adult under the new law, but Publishers are treating it like it is

This is the kind of BS I was afraid would start happening, "Technically its not but we should stop it anyway" I'm no fan of Aki Sora but thats Hypocrisy in bold print

Not to mention, its making it seem like because of the nature of the bill its not making it online, which is even bigger crap, not only can you no longer buy it, but you can't see it online legally, but we need to stop printing "Just to be safe", at what point do they realize they are literally flushing money down the toilet for absolutely no gain?

Pathetic, Move out of Tokyo Mangaka, Please

I don't know why people are surprise. Aki Sora is one of the few titles I expected to be gone with the new law. From my interpretation the content itself is adult enough however I felt the mangaka meant it creativeness under an adult only audience would be different which could include more smut or something else.

Your final point would make more sense if Aki Sora was a huge hit and had some influence in the manga industry.. if not it could be a waste of paper supported by a niche group of readers. Ultimately meaning zero lose to the industry as a whole. I read the series, which to me seems to have very little substance after 5 chapter and abundance of smut... with an entire cast of different females >.>
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
When he says that the volumes do not meet the criteria for an adults-only stamp, that strikes me as a point of view--not a statement that they CAN'T be sold to adults exclusively. That interpretation is backed up by Itosugi's statement that he didn't create the comic with an adult-only audience in mind and the statement that it's not impossible for these volumes to be sold again under different conditions.

I looked this up. The story apparently centers around incest. This is not a case example of Bill 156 causing outrageous and unreasonable standards for manga.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
..f*** me wait a minute though what about yousga no sora? also there are other "digital means" and isn't there 2 or 3 hentai ova's for this out as it is? I really don't get it you can't sell the manga but the anime is okay? That aside nothing we can really do about it, we have no voting power or control for what country does but still this does suck balls. Guess I will import the 2 volumes since I have read them online for free and keep them for collectors item's. Also the incest clause makes me laugh my ass off it really does it could even affect naruto if they took it far enough "really does any one in Hinata's clan marry out of their own clan?" Japan has been doing branch and tree family blood line shit for years go watch the anime kureina and come back, that sums up what still goes on or went on in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Sucks for the fans of this series over in Japan or people who import. Fortunately for me I'm not really into this kind of stuff. I don't know how popular this series is in Japan, but if it only appeals to a small fanbase they are not going to loose that much money although I have no idea what the mangaka is going to do now they should just move out of Tokyo.

Besides if the bill starts going after huge titles that have a massive fanbase I doubt the manga publishers will just sit back and let that idiot Ishihara do what he wants.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The only thing about Aki Sora that makes it NOT adult is lack of genitals. He could easily redraw the sex parts with genitals and sell it with an adult label
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
No one's surprised, in fact this type of BS is what everyone was up in arms about about the stupidity of the bill before it passed. And I don't even care about this series since I'm not big on slice-of-life/romance, but this track record is just going to get worse like it always does when laws like this pass just like most of us predicted and cross into all of the genres.

Webbmaster62 wrote:
Here we go.... I'm telling you if they don't start fighting this again...more of this is gonna happen.

Yup, no doubt tons of future works that would be risque and not adult will be caught in the middle between "general audience" and "adult" and will never be made/published/finished. Censorship and limiting of creativity at it's "finest."

If we're getting into this then maybe it's time for a new line, "adult but not "adult"," what a ridiculous situation brought on by a totally unnecessary law, totally agree with Dagon123.

Good point Cecilthedarkknight_234, I guess Kishimoto won't be referencing Hinata's clan's history any time soon.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The only thing about Aki Sora that makes it NOT adult is lack of genitals. He could easily redraw the sex parts with genitals and sell it with an adult label

he doesn't want that though, I wouldn't mind the creator of to love ru doing it...ahem but that's not what he was going for. Also for those that want a serious tone on this "genre" look up an called "i love my younger sister" no it's not a hentai ova it actually takes a serious tone on the "incest thing" and ask why can't I fall in love you, why does it hurt so much etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Koi Kaze's another serious work with the theme, and that one's gotten tons of great reviews on numerous sites with the critics.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Keep circulating the tapes!
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Koi Kaze's another serious work with the theme, and that one's gotten tons of great reviews on numerous sites with the critics.

You mean a serious work. I severely doubt any positive reviewer of Koi Kaze would endorse Aki Sora in the same way.

DangerMouse wrote:

Good point Cecilthedarkknight_234, I guess Kishimoto won't be referencing Hinata's clan's history any time soon.

No it isn't. Neither of you understand what is in the Tokyo Youth Ordinance. Go read about it again. You should also note that it's not a ban; it's extra regulation regarding what sort of content can be sold to minors.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
zaeris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

I believe Koi Kaze and Aki Sora are vastly differently not to mention the former is superior in every way. The similar theme are however dealt with differently. I don't think believe it is wise to use Aki Sora to compare it to Koi Kaze... somewhere saying this bill could affect Koi Kaze as evidence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7