• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Angel Beats! Dub on Anime Network OnDemand, Sub Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, can't wait to hear the dub!
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the set will include the "Another Epilogue" short & the bonus "Stairway to Heaven" episode?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Awesome, can't wait to hear the dub!

Same here! I am SO buying this series! Short and sweet, it backs so much punch it actually made me cry.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
@Ashen Phoenix

I felt the ending was REALLY forced, but at that point I already cared enough for the characters to don't even bother... I was lucky enough to be alone at my room and the fact that it was 3.53a.m. (I couldn't stop watching it and marathon trough the whole thing) because I think my weeping didn't subside for at least 20 minutes after the credits rolled out ¬¬

After I felt ready to keep going I went ahead and poped the epilogue/alternate ending. Just when I was about to resume my cry session the extra episode started playing and everything was right in the world again ^^

Also a must own for me (and really, if you like anime of any sort you probably should as well, AB have so many different things going for it, it's hard not to find something to like about it), but this is obviously dependent on the inclusion of the two extra episodes. To be honest thought, I can't imagine how/why they wouldn't bring those.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
711 wrote:
@Ashen Phoenix

I felt the ending was REALLY forced, but at that point I already cared enough for the characters to don't even bother... I was lucky enough to be alone at my room and the fact that it was 3.53a.m. (I couldn't stop watching it and marathon trough the whole thing) because I think my weeping didn't subside for at least 20 minutes after the credits rolled out ¬¬

After I felt ready to keep going I went ahead and poped the epilogue/alternate ending. Just when I was about to resume my cry session the extra episode started playing and everything was right in the world again ^^

Also a must own for me (and really, if you like anime of any sort you probably should as well, AB have so many different things going for it, it's hard not to find something to like about it), but this is obviously dependent on the inclusion of the two extra episodes. To be honest thought, I can't imagine how/why they wouldn't bring those.
Don't really know anything about this series, but for what it's worth, the Angel Beats! insert that came with my Baccano! BD Box says that the OVA is included, so I think you should be safe. Surprised
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to say I couldn't get through episode 4 of this. Somewhat interesting but still rather rediculous concept presented with a very bad execution, and filled with nauseatingly cliched stereotype characters.

Gonna have to pass on this.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
@Shenl742

To each it's own... but even acknowledging that I still find a few beefs with your statements.

The concept is as ridiculous as any religion that believes in reincarnation, which is indeed subjective, but the execution is never stale, it never overburdens the viewer with over exposition and offer plenty of variety in the angles they choose to approach (even if it does get a little bit overbearing by the end ^^). I can totally understand you saying it wasn't to your taste, but you can't coherently say a solid written and performed series such as AB have "bad execution".

The characters being cliched seems more of a rant towards Yurippe's similarity to a certain other godly famous character I dare not mention here than anything else. The rest of the cast is pretty interesting and mostly well developed and fresh (even Yurippe grows A LOT as a character later on, but seeing you put a halt at the 4th episode you wouldn't know), they admittedly have some ups and downs, but overall I really REALLY can't see how you could say "nauseatingly cliched stereotype characters".
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
711 wrote:
@Shenl742

To each it's own... but even acknowledging that I still find a few beefs with your statements.

The concept is as ridiculous as any religion that believes in reincarnation, which is indeed subjective, but the execution is never stale, it never overburdens the viewer with over exposition and offer plenty of variety in the angles they choose to approach (even if it does get a little bit overbearing by the end ^^). I can totally understand you saying it wasn't to your taste, but you can't coherently say a solid written and performed series such as AB have "bad execution".

The characters being cliched seems more of a rant towards Yurippe's similarity to a certain other godly famous character I dare not mention here than anything else. The rest of the cast is pretty interesting and mostly well developed and fresh (even Yurippe grows A LOT as a character later on, but seeing you put a halt at the 4th episode you wouldn't know), they admittedly have some ups and downs, but overall I really REALLY can't see how you could say "nauseatingly cliched stereotype characters".

I meant that the execution was bad because it took the premise and pretty much not only turned it into something with NO LOGICAL SENSE and presented it in a way that was just clunky and dumb.

The characters are all dead? Okay, fine.

They're in a purgatory that's like a highschool? Sure

There in life or death (?) battles with a cute, emotionless cyborg (?) girl who's also the council president? Umm...

They're waging life or death (?) epic battles in the first episode in order to gain...lunch tickets?. Okay, now you've lost me.

I mean, I'm fine with unusual premises if they're done right. I'm currently watching C: Control right now and I'm enjoying it. It feels like something Grant Morrison would write. Very weird and unconventional, but smartly written and executed enough to carry it off.

And like I said about the characters. A bunch of VERY cliche, silly, overused archetypes I've seen too many times before. THe only differance being they're dead (and not too concerned about it) and the show likes to grab us by the chins and give them TRAGIC BACKSTORIES as if to justify it all.. Take the main character:

"I'm a tsundere, I'm a tsundere, lalala. Oh by the way, have I told you about my

MONSTROUS, SUPER DRAMATIC, HORROR-MOVIE LIKE PAST?!??

ladeeda, I'm a tsundere..."

I'm totally sorry but this series failed to catch my interest these first few episodes, so I'm just going to move on to some shows that actually do.[/b]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
@Shenl742

Don't need to fuss over it or go defensive, if you don't like it you don't like it, screw what I or everyone else says... it's my stance on many shows as well ^^ For instance, I just can't wrap my head around Madoka and/or Nanoha... I just can't!!

Still, from all your caps and big BOLD words it's clear that you are trying pretty hard to dislike this show. In which case no argument I can provide would help. Just be sure you are missing out and that despite your opinions, NO, the characters are not stereotyped (meh... maybe a few of them, but Yurippe is not one albeit similarities with "HarHar") and NO, the execution is not bad.
kazume

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Greg Ayres as Naoi... my god man... wasn't the dub of Sunohara in Clannad bad enough? Butt monkley characters his voice works for great, but Sunohara got serious from time to time... especially in the second season... oh man, I don't even wanna hear that...

I don't think he's got the voice to dub such a bad ass as Naoi.

Will be waiting to hear samples of this before deciding to buy.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
You can watch the first dub episode for free on iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/angel-beats-season-1/id435732128
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
I know I'm a bit late on this, but I just watched the free dub episode on iTunes and I really enjoyed it. I had watched a few episodes subbed and thought it was interesting, but I really like the way they decided to dub it and it's got me hooked. I'll definitely be keeping up with this series as more episodes show up on iTunes (episode 1 is still free and 2 is available for rent or purchase).
jjnoahjames

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah this show is done well hands down!!

IM DISGRUNTLED THOUGH. The new English Dub of Yuri lacks, emotional depth, and is way to low pitched. The original version was must more sensational, and got more angry, and more emotional (the emotional parts being what really made this Anime sore!).

WHY DONT THEY LET FANS VOTE ON THE POTENTIAL ACTORS?

This really knocks it down a lot of STARS review wise. RE DO THE DUB! DON'T RUIN AN AMAZING SHOW!

It sucks, a lot of people will start judging it based on the DUB, and though I have heard much worst DUBS, this one make's it seem much more childish, like it's made for American Teen T.V. or something and that's just CHEESY.

I view Anime as it's own beautiful ART FORM which though involving younger people (although most movies do this too), does not equate to TEENAGE SATURDAY morning CHEAP ANIME MONEY MAKING FEST.

The Dub here is not terrible, the Acting is good. But that's just it. It's good, it's better than most Anime but it doesn't seem to fit the lead character, her voice was a little rougher, and higher pitched (the leads is in the orig).

I'm not a fan of lower pitched, lower timbre female voices, and it really comes across like it's for TEENAGE RIOT GIRLS. There is no depth. It's like in Audio. The compressions all the way up making for a quick, strong, yet lifeless over time impact.

Anyway great show, wanted to buy it. Not sure now because of Yuri's dub!!!!!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
The dub is fine for those who haven't heard the original voices, and those who have will most likely watch it subbed anyway.

What I found hilarious was how inept Sentai (or whoever they contracted) was with the English dub script. There's literally a scene where a character asks, "Hey Otanashi, want to play catch ball?" What the heck is catch ball? Then every single character uses 'Yuripee' when referring to Yuri. Yuripee? Seriously? Either leave it Yurippe or change it to the more formal Yuri.

I just can't help but wonder what the voice actors were thinking when they were recording their lines.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
^^

Not to mention how nobody seems to be able to say "suplex" properly. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2